xisto Community
phpandsql

Molecule Vs Lattice Whats the difference?

I am doing chemistry right now. Our teacher, for homework, asked us to find the difference between a molecule and a lattice. But a Google search reveals nothing, so I came here instead. Can someone explain the difference between a molecule and a lattice, preferably not with too much jargon, as we are barely beginning the course right now?Thanks.

From what I know, a molecule is any stable, neutral group of two or more atoms held together by chemical bonds.

A lattice, on the other hand, can be considered as a really large molecule that can span three dimensions.

Look at it this way. Liquids and gases are always molecules. Solids, on the other hand, tend to be lattices. Graphically speaking, molecules look like balls or branchy trees while lattices are ordered 3D matrices.

Er... I hope I could expound more but it's been a long day. If this thread's still not resolved, tomorrow, perhaps :o

A molecule is a group of atoms bonded together so that, overall, there is a neutral charge on the group. Examples of molecules include H2O, HCN, H2SO4 or C2H5OH. Each of those examples is made from atoms that are bonded together to form a molecule. You will also find that each of those molecules has a particular shape, a certain size and particular angles between each of the bonds.

In a liquid or gas these molecules can move pretty much where they want. However, in a solid, these molecules are fixed in position. You will often find that a substance's molecules will fall into a fixed regular pattern when solidified. This is the lattice. For example, table salt (sodium chloride, NaCl) forms an ionic lattice when in solid form. The Na+ and Cl- ions fit into a regular shape and pattern.

A good example of the importance of whether a substance forms a lattice, and what sort it forms, is carbon. Diamond - very expensive and quite pretty, and graphite - dull and ugly, are both exactly the same substance: pure carbon. What differs is the way the carbon atoms are arranged. In diamond they form a lattice structure, which is very strong and durable. In graphite, they form layers which flake off easily (hence why its used in pencils).

DoubtsMolecule Vs Lattice

We have started chemistry as well now and alot of the theories we are learning involves the understanding of the difference between Lattices and Molecules. So.. Molecules are the joining of different atoms that are sharing electrons to gain a balanced charge, right? But what is a Lattice? From what I understand,a Lattice is the regular form the atoms take when they are in a solid (and is in a 3 dimensional shape) But is it's only difference from a molecule that it is in a 3D shape or is there another reason?, and aren't molecules shaped like that (3D)  too or wouldn't everything be shaped flat? And how do you know which solid is a lattice and which is a molecule?  Sorry I have alot of questions but I'm really confused and I can't findThe information anywhere. Would someone be able to help me out?

Thanks

-reply by baifbsof

Well, not quite. A molecule has a fixed number of each type of atom:
so the common water molecule (H2O) would have two hydrogen and one oxygen atom.
You're right; a molecule is not flat (unless it has 3 or less atoms, of course, as they would always fall on some sort of plane) but normally they are not flat.

A lattice, however, is a big 3D grid of atoms. It's like a tesselating tile pattern, except the tiles are molecules (all the same molecule, but these molecules can be compounds) which are bonded to each other.
In this case, the chemical symbol would refer to a ratio of atoms; so in a lattice with the chemical formula Be2F4Ne (not that such a lattice actually exists), there would be 2 beryllium atoms and 4 flourine atoms for every one neon atom.

Does this make sense? I hope it does, I'm not very good at explaining things... ^_^