xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ironchicken

What Is...a Schwarzschild Wormhole What is it?

A Schwarzschild wormhole is a combination of a black hole and a "white hole" (A white hole is a hypothetical object which does the opposite function to a black hole, it exhibits infinite antigravity, as opposed to a black hole's infinite gravity). In theory, you can use this to travel to a parellel universe? Kinda freaky, isn't it?

Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

Lorentzian wormholes known as Schwarzschild wormholes or Einstein-Rosen bridges are bridges between areas of space that can be modeled as vacuum solutions to the Einstein field equations by combining models of a black hole and a white hole. This solution was discovered by Albert Einstein and his colleague Nathan Rosen, who first published the result in 1935. However, in 1962 John A. Wheeler and Robert W. Fuller published a paper showing that this type of wormhole is unstable, and that it will pinch off instantly as soon as it forms, preventing even light from making it through.
Before the stability problems of Schwarzschild wormholes were apparent, it was proposed that quasars were white holes forming the ends of wormholes of this type.

While Schwarzschild wormholes are not traversable, their existence inspired Kip Thorne to imagine traversable wormholes created by holding the 'throat' of a Schwarzschild wormhole open with exotic matter (material that has negative mass/energy).

I assume it's pronounced schwarz-schild (not shield or child). So it would be like "shilld" I guess. It's another one of those awesome German last names. :o

I feel almost obligated to post something here that isn't related to the proper pronunciation of 'Schwarzschild'.

Wormholes are a funny thing (For lack of a better term to start this post off)

I've looked into them a bit a few months ago.

I'd be interested in looking at the roots of the theories.

Like, equations for the theoretical existence of wormholes.

Wikipedia (And other sources, I suppose), often make references to 'solutions' made by Physicists about the plausibility of wormholes; traversable or otherwise. But I would like to see some of these actual solutions. I could probably find them, I haven't exactly made much effort in that direction yet. Maybe I'll go see if I can track one down after I'm done writing this post.

With little knowledge on the subject, what I'd like to think is that a wormhole kind of acts in a higher dimension to allow traversing around space.

For example:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

(The above image was taken from Wikipedia)

The image is described as "Analogy to a wormhole in a curved 2D space"

If you take the plane labeled as "Space outside Wormhole" and imagine it as a 2D plane (I chose this image for simplicity, I apologize if the explanation seems poorly worded, I'm being a bit distracted while writing this past)

The wormhole would be a route taken through a 3 dimensional path to reach another area on a 2 dimensional area.

If you don't take Time as a Fourth Dimension in our universe, then perhaps the method behind a wormhole would be a path through the fourth dimension to travel around a large portion of the 3D universe. Again, this may require for Time to not be the fourth Dimension.

However, if you do take Time as the fourth dimension, this theory could still work, but you would have far less control over where you ended up (Or When you ended up).

Because the universe is constantly moving, and galaxies, planets and solar systems are all rotating, orbiting and moving. If a wormhole was imagined that traversed purely through the Time plane, you could go in one end on Earth, and when you came out you could be in another time you could be on the opposite side of the universe.

Let me provide an analogy (Albeit a poor one), because I'm aware that my explanation is lacking in certain linguistic fluency.

You are standing on top of a quickly moving train as it goes into a tunnel. You, however are not smart, so you jump up as the train goes into the tunnel.

You do not go into that tunnel.

Instead you find yourself embedded (And likely dead) in the entrance to that tunnel. After a few seconds your body falls and lands several cars behind where you jumped from.

This is how a Time related wormhole could work. It could suspend, or alter the position of Time (Not space), so that when you exited the wormhole your planet and solar system, maybe even galaxy would have continued moving on without you. Like jumping on a moving train. Even going back in Time, you could end up several billion light years ahead of the path of your solar system.

Because really, I'm sure we haven't seen enough of the universe yet to really understand how it moves.

Our planets, rotating around our Sun, to make our Solar System. Are probably (This may have been proven, I really don't know, so I will form all of these sentences as possibilities) orbiting around a central point of our galaxy. It's believed that there is a super massive Black Hole at the centre of the Milky Way; we could be orbiting around that. Hell, our Galaxy is probably orbiting in a group with other galaxies around a central point far away. And this could continue on for potentially hundreds of steps.

With the possibilities in mind, we could be moving much faster than we believe we are.

We don't fully understand the behavior of Light yet. We could be moving close to, or even faster than, the speed of light as it is. If you came out of a Time related wormhole, you could be much further away than one would initially believe.

Anyway,

I've started to ramble too much.

And I admit that I don't know as much as I should about the subject I'm touching on to be making my own theories about it; especially not enough to begin making my theories public.

I don't know about this topic and I haven't even realised that science if working on explainging the wormholes though I am close student of science and these wormholes are not alike those worm holes in the star trek but nonetheless important thing is that we are moving again to the space because sixties and seventies were very nice age and we have discovered so many things and I am happy to see that we are advancing once more and preparing to set off the planet earth maybe even for some other planet or the moon "again". And one more thing about this wormholes what I would like to say is that I do not assume thses so called white wormholes as antigravity but more or less some kind of energy maker since matter enteres the black wormhole and its massive gravity occurs because of that this matter might be transfered into some special kind of energy one which we haven;t yet been a ble to obvserv or it is exposing matter back into the space something that is black wormhole might be acting osmething like recycle center repoducing matter back to itsbascis hydrogen atom. Much much sooner then the radioactive decay. Or similar processes.But I think that we will not soon find out more things about this not in the next 15 years unlless they come aout with some kind of the breaktrough in the CERN.

And one more thing about this wormholes what I would like to say is that I do not assume thses so called white wormholes as antigravity but more or less some kind of energy maker since matter enteres the black wormhole and its massive gravity occurs because of that this matter might be transfered into some special kind of energy one which we haven;t yet been a ble to obvserv or it is exposing matter back into the space something that is black wormhole might be acting osmething like recycle center repoducing matter back to itsbascis hydrogen atom. Much much sooner then the radioactive decay. Or similar processes.

Well, normal matter has gravity, so it could be that antimatter has antigravity. I'm certain that there was something about antimatter in the WikiPedia article.

By the way, not really related, but has anyone read Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons"?