xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
stevethedog

Thinking About Travelling, Looking For Advice

I am toying with the idea of going travelling, it sounds like a great experience and a few people have recommended it. Although this would have to be something for next year, but i imagine these things take planning, and money - So the sooner i find out whether i definately want to go, the sooner i can begin saving.I have a bunch of questions though. Did a search for travelling, although the threads weren't very specific to what i wanted to know. Maybe some peoples experiences would help me decide.How much money is required to realistically go travelling? I've heard some people go travelling and get temporary bar jobs to help fund the trip - Is it difficult to get one?How many and which places should I consider? Any recommendations? I've only been to spain and portugal before, although I didn't choose them, I'd never know where i wanted to go.Accomodation worries me the most. I'd want to stay somewhere safe-ish, where i know my things would be safe. Also i have absolutely no idea what kind of prices it would cost to stay places..... I guess it depends where I go.Also i'm guessing it's wise to go travelling with someone else, to cut the costs of accomodation in half, and generally to know you have someone out there with you? I don't know anyone who'd want to go travelling. I can see this being an issue.Advice and experiences very much welcomed, I'd love to get a better idea of the idea of travelling. For some people they never want to leave their homes, although I've always felt like i need to get away, whether it be temporary or permanent, it would be a great life experience i think.

ei good for you, stevethedog! :D traveling is a great way to enjoy nature, meet unique people, expand your horizon with other people's culture and history, and tickle your taste buds with new and exciting dishes! :D it does take some time to plan these things, so it's good also that you're making preparations this early.btw, what is your point of origin? and what is your intended destination? are you constrained by geography? can you travel by air? or just within the immediate borders of your point of origin using land-based modes of transportation (bus/car/bike)? your destination ought to be your first consideration, and even if you never really know where you wanted to go (as you say above :D), you ought to know what you want to do in your travel destination. do you want to enjoy the beach and go swimming? do you want to enjoy museums and historical landmarks? do you want to enjoy just lounging around in a soothing environment, far from the hustle and bustle of urban life like televisions, cars, and even the internet? :) or do you just want to go shopping international? you should have an idea on what you intend to accomplish in your travels. perhaps that will narrow down your choices.cost-wise, it will be largely dependent on your destination of course. it's not really a good idea to even think of getting temporary jobs while traveling... in the first place, you may not even encounter a vacancy. don't bet on this to cushion your travel expenses, although it may be a good option (when a vacancy is available) when you find you are short on cash later on. but since you're preparing this early already, just try to arrange your travel plans to a destination which will fit your budget (with a little extra for emergency contingencies).i'd say look for asian destinations if you can. :) something which will contrast with your current environment. you will have a more lively experience if you at least experience some kind of culture shock in your travel destination. :D and it will be a memorable one to boot!accommodations is quite easy for asian destinations. :P check a travel agency near you. for budget-conscious travelers like you, there are always options available to suit any budget. and they will know where you can be safe. :Das for travel companions, it is a wise choice to have one accompany you, especially if you're not really that familiar with your destination. at least you can have someone to share your expenses as you say, especially for rooming expenditures. if you don't know one personally who wishes to travel with you, you can try doing a campus advertisement of sorts... like posting some home-made posters with your travel plans and your intention to have some companion to travel with. that usually works if you're still a student. somewhere, somehow, there'll be someone who may be interested as well. anyway, if nobody jumps up to your offer, you can always do the traveling alone. it could be an adventure in itself to be traveling on your own.keep us updated! :D

I have traveled Europe for 3 months as a back-packer. Backpacking is popular in Europe visited by many foreigners. When I initially had this idea I too had many questions including how much money should I have during my visit.The book titled "Let's Go Europe" was very helpful. And the same publicist released just about every country, every continent you can imagine that is hospitable to visit.This book offers tips and tricks on how to stay cheep, where to visit and staying safe. Hostiles are small bed place where you can stay anywhere from $5 ~ $15 dollars a day. It's not pretty or clean--motel or something other. But a hot shower and comfy bed for $5 ~ $15 dollars a day isn't too bad.If you're going to be traveling in style--staying at a motel/hotel and renting a car--expect to spend about $250 a day just on this expense. And don't forget to calculate meals, tourist tickets, gas and emergency money. I started the trip with $3000 in traveler's cheque--in increments of $20's and visited Money Exchange stations in each city I visited. I also planned ahead to find banks in each city I would be visiting. I was in luck since my local bank is HSBC and I was able to find HSBC all throughout Europe. The advantage was that with my ATM/MasterCard I can withdraw cash in indigenous currency without paying a heavy transfer fee. The benefit of traveler's cheque is that if it's stolen you're not totally lost. You can call your bank and report the cheque number. Double check with the place you want to visit regarding Passport Visa. Many countries would not require special Visa status but it's better to check and travel with your passport. Always leave copies of your passport, ticket itineraries and intended destinations at home. If your passport is stolen or lost your family can get a replacement so that you can come home. Since a copy can act as an emergency proof, it can be faxed to your foreign Consulate while you get your affairs in order. It's also a good idea to avoid hostile countries and report to your Consulate of that country when you arrive.But most of all, travel with some leisure. Planning too much in advance and too perfect can bring stress to what-would-be the vacation of your life time. Allow small surprise visits during your daily routine. Stop by local stores and have their specialties. Talk to locals especially elderlies. Oh and if you are bringing film camera do not develop them while you're on the road. Bring it back home then develop them. And watch for airport x-ray machines. If your ISO is higher than 400 you can ask airport securities to bypass x-ray machine just on your films. If you're bringing digital camera always have a backup planned--extra flash cards, emailing them to yourself by visiting internet cafe, etc.Always watch your surroundings and do not let anything distract you from your belongs. Keep your zippers locked with a small lock so that pickpocketers do not take everything.

Great to hear your going out in the 'Big Wide World'

A few suggestions, depending on where you live. If you wanted to just go around your country, well I dont know.

But if you wanting to travel outter country, then I suggest Aregentina, or South American areas(Unless you already live there LOL)

The exchange rate is fantastic and depending on your currency you can double, or even heptuplet {Time 6, if thats how you say it LOLOL} your money. :)

I would search around and see the currencys and make sure its somewhere where for your Doller/Pound etc. Is more than one of theirs. This way its easier and cheaper. But dont just base your trip on it.

Good Luck I hope all goes well :)