xisto Community
encryptedwrath

I'm Pretty Much Completely New To Hosting so could somebody give me some starting tips?

This is the first time I've used anything like this.Could someone tell me how to publish things to the website etc.thanks =]

I'm sure there were a few tutorials/guides written, but I can't find them at the moment. I'll point you in the right direction if I find them.

In the mean time, this should get you up and running designing your site. You'll need some software to make your website. If you're new to all this then you are probably best starting with a WYSIWYG editor. There are plenty of these around, many available for free. Some you may want to look into:

Dreamweaver - Very expensive

KompoZer - Free

Nvu - Free

You can also use a plain text editor (like Notepad or Kate) to type the raw HTML code. This, of course, requires that you learn HTML. W3Schools is a great place to do that and is highly recommended. After a while you will want more control than your editor offers, and the only way to get that is to type the code yourself.

Once you have made your website, you'll need to transfer it to the world wide web. To do this you will need some sort of FTP software. The FileZilla Client is fairly popular and free. When you signed up for your hosting account you were given all the FTP data and told to save it. Find that and you will get all the information to connect to your account. Put that into FileZilla and wait for your account to load. Open the public_html folder and copy all of your files into there. There you go - your pages are available on the Internet.

That was not a particularly complete or easy-to-follow guide to creating your website, more a rough overview. Feel free to ask for any more information or advice, and I'll keep looking for the detailed guides that I'm sure exist around here somewhere :)

thanks , I know about HTML , I use NVU , but it was publishing I was haing problems withthanks again

I'm still having problems =/

What problems are you having? do you know your username, password and FTP address?do yo have ftp software? And do you know which folder to upload to? Get back to us with some info (dont post your FTP username or password on the forums) and we should be able to help

Any problems in particular (i.e. is there any particular part you are stuck with) or do you just want a detailed guide to the whole process?

I assume, at the moment, you have a collection of HTML files which you wish to put on the Internet? If so then the next thing you need is some way to transfer those files to your hosting account. You have a variety of choices:

FTP Software

cPanel's File Manager

Net2FTP

There is a guide to using FileZilla, and one for using WS_FTP. Mama_soap has written a brilliant guide which covers using cPanel and FTP software. Just click on 3. Getting Started [Trap] on the right hand side.