xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kobra500

Stoo Pid how comes no-one speaks correctly

Every film or tv show I watch people always pronounce 'stupid' as 'stoo-pid'!!! and it's really starting to annoy me... you don't say 'stoo-ert' or 'stoo-dent' so why 'stoo-pid' it's pronounced 'stew-pid' sorry but it gets on my nerves... call me weird if you like just don't say 'stoo-pid'!!!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 'Stoo-pid' an American dialect pronunciation? I've never heard any English people pronounce it that way soo.. Yes. It's just an accent thing, don't be hatin'. :)

Sorry I never came across such a thing in my 17 years.But if its true then it must be corrected.As using an english like that is an offence to the english language. :):

Im with elaks, in the UK ive never heard such a pronunciation of the word so perhaps its Americanized English which isnt English at all, its American! I hate that confusion... English is the language spoke in he land of England. the language spoken in America is a corrupted version of the English language.

Actually I go to school in America and it is a very common way to say "stupid". Though I find the word itself to be offensive, pronouncing it incorrectly isn't exactly helping. The problem is that slang terms become more "slang" and you never really know what people are saying anymore. You have to get with the lingo and keep up with the times I suppose.

Funny quote from homer simspon

'Why should I learn English, I'm never going to England'

and if I'm not mistaken he was voted 'Greatest Living American'
But the problem is that American English is suprisingly different from English. They are essentially different languages. The reason it's infectous here is probably because when your little you watch a lot of movies and movies produced in the UK are hugely outnumbered by American films and these children are hearing what is essentially another language and putting it in there speach.. and I like most Americans then again I play xbox live and ost of them on there annoy me. But I love America... (but that'll change if you re-elect George Bush) Of course your government has made alot of mistakes:- Vietnam for instance.

I love American Tv HEROES, FRIENDS etc.

It's not that I hate Americans but I agree, their English is actually quite annoying.But what I also hate how the movies and TV shows there alsways stretch out Australian accents. "G'daay maaaaate!!!"

When people on televison say 'stoo-pid,' I think they say that just to be funny. Yes, in my school, too, it is a very commonly used word.

(but that'll change if you re-elect George Bush)

We CAN'T re-elect George Bush, he has already been in office for two years! George Bush was a mistake!

That's my opinion