xisto Community
DarkPsycho

Internet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A Laptop For Windows XP (possibly Vista)

Thanks so much!Internet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A Laptop

Woooohoooo!! I have been trying for hours to get this to work, but none of the simple solutions were doing it. Followed your instructions to the letter &...VOILA! I'm connected.

Thanks bunches!

~rk 

-reply by rABiD kittEn

2 words. patch cable.Internet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A Laptop

okay I'm drunk,and I didnt read the rest of the topic. But iknow computers. And what I have setup at my house to get my xbox 36 0 wireless from my laptop is this...

MATERIALS.

okay... Xbox360 - laptop - crossover cable. (the crossover cable is NOT the same as a patch or a ethernet cable.) ITS CALLED CROSSOVER. Google it, make your own...You can, its easy.

hook the crossover cable to your xbox and laptop. Have your laptop on. Goto your network settings for your laptop and enable both your wireless card AND your lan card(the wired port). Then select the two with the mouse and *right-click* to select "Make a Bridge". Make that **** and start your xbox. SHAZAM! ill see u on live. 

I'm WASTED U JOOOBANGLERS

-reply by southboy

Thanks, i have been trying to get this to work, but nothing on instructables has worked! Now i can get rid of the wire and move it :lol:

thannk youInternet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A Laptop

Your method really worked for me.  I could successfully connect my xbox 360 online through the laptop with wireless connection.

Thank you,

-reply by sgms

Easier way to do this.Internet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A LaptopThis video gives step by step instructions of how to accomplish this VERY easily.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ by Viktor_Vango

Thank iGuestInternet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A LaptopReplying to iGuestI just wanted to say that iGuest's method worked perfectly on my first try with windows vista.I had both machines turned on, both connections disabled.Enabled both connections (no sharing turned on, make sure sharing is off), did what he said with the bridging, and it took a minute and configured automatically.Thank you very much. I was not aware of that method.-reply by Loder333

a need help... =[Internet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A LaptopReplying to DarkPsychoI was following all your steps...And well I reached a speed bump..At the very end...When u logg into the router thing...Well I don't know the username nor the password...Any suggestions where to go from there?If theres any suggestions I would greatly apreshiate it... Ive been trying to connect ma x-box 360 to laptop for past week or so...Nothing seems to be working...This is the most promising one I could find...So yeah... Any suggestiobs??? ty-reply by Ben Jackson

how to solve DNS and DHCP issues with network bridgeInternet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A Laptop

If you setup a network bridge and your DNS or DHCP server cannot be established, go to the taskbar and select RUN, then type in CMD.  Once this is open, type "NETSH BRIDGE SHOW A", this will show your ethernet and wireless connection (like, 1. Ethernet, 2. Wireless or vice versa).  This is where you can force the bridge connection. To the right of each connection, it will say Enabled, Disabled, or Unknown. 

Most likely, if you are having DNS or DHCP issues, they will both say Disabled or Unknown, which is what we need to fix.  We want the Wireless enabled and the wired connection disabled  or unknown.  So,assuming your wireless connection is the 2nd one, type "NETSH BRIDGE SET A 2 E", where A =  the status of your adapter, 2 = which connection you want to enable (whatever is to the left of it when you do netsh bridge show a), and E = Enable.

Once that is done, test your xbox 360 again and you should connect, if not try restarting your computer and then running the xbox network test again.  

If your etherne port (wired) is set to enabled, you need to type "netsh bridge set a 1 d" to disable it (remember 1 is the number to the left of your adapter, so it could be a 2, make sure you check!).  

This worked for me and I have had no problems since.

- Brandon

-reply by Brandon Keywords: if nat is moderate when using ics and i do not have access to router, how can i open it

Thanks

Thank you so much for this, I have been trying forever to fix my dns connection problem.  You are a huge help.

-reply by George

sharing wireless connection with xbox (save buying xbox wireless card)Internet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A Laptop

These steps worked for me...

1. On your laptop, go start -> Run -> type 'cmd' -> enter -> type 'ipconfig'Note the IP address of your wireless Networking connection (e.G. 192.168.1.X or 192.168.0.X)2. Plug in network cable to LAN card on laptop and to Xbox.3. On laptop, go to START>CONNECT TO>SHOW ALL CONNECTIONS (Can also be found in my computer>my network places> view network connections)4. Make sure both wireless and LAN cards are enabled (greyed out if disabled)4. Right Click on wireless network connection and click on properties5. Click on advanced tab6. Check the box next to " Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection" then click OK.7. Right click on Local Area Connection, click on properties8. Click on internet protocol (Tcp/Ip) then click on properties9. Beside IP Address type in: 192.168.1.25 (if your IP address in step 1 was 192.168.0.X, give IP address 192.168.0.25, I.E. The first 3 sets of numbers must be the same)10. Beside Subnet mask type in: 255.255.255.0 11. Click OK12.  In Internet explorer, enter 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.0.1 depending on your IP address from step1).This will connect to your router.  Under the status (or internet status) page find yourPrimary DNS server and Secondary DNS server. Note these numbers.13. Turn on xbox, go into the internet settings Set IP address to manual, enter IP address as 192.168.1.30 (or 192.168.0.30 depending on in step1)Set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 Set gateway to 192.168.1.25 (or 192.168.0.25 depending on in step1)OKSet DNS to manual, and set primary and secondary to values noted in step12.14. Now test connection to xbox live. If its worked it will connect and Probably ask you to upgrade your xbox software.. After this create anXbox live account.  To logon to xbox live and play games switch to your xbox liveProfile.

-reply by chrisc

MTU settings is the maximun transmission unit for your connection, if you are using a wired connection from the laptop and the laptop is using a wireless connection, you just need to ask on the network server whre you connect the wireless connection on the laptop to set the MTU settings to 1364 or 1400

Hey it almost worked...Internet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A Laptop

Hello!

Thanks for all the help it was great, however even though I managed to get connected to xbox live, as soon as it asks me to update it, which I click yes, it says there is a problem with my connection. When I just 2 secs earlier was connected to both the network, internet and the xbox live.

I checked networks, and realized my router wasn't there anymore. I tried to connect to the internet using the computer with no luck. It only worked when I disabled the local area connection.

Now how come it works for 2 seconds and then shuts down? any help would be much appreciated!

thx

Nick

-reply by Nicky

You can also you two wirless routers. Internet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A Laptop

You make the router that is connected to your DSL or Cable router the base. Then you bridge second router to the base. Attach the xbox to the bridged router.  You can get two wireless routers cheaper than you can buy a wireless adapter

-reply by Don

Alternate DNSInternet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A Laptop

If you are connecting via the Network successfully, but failing on Internet because it can't resolve XBox Live or xbox.Com, and you are unable to find your router's DNS settings, try and use OpenDNS.

Manually enter the two IP addresses found in the bottom-right hand corner of the screen into your XBox 360 and providing there is a direct entry to the Internet, it will find the DNS entries fine.

Hope this helps..

-reply by David

Sharing media through a shared connectionInternet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A Laptop

First of all thanks for the guide. I know have my 360 online and all. I now want to stream videos from my pc (the one I'm sharing the connection with) to my 360. Is this possible?