xisto Community
DarkPsycho

Internet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A Laptop For Windows XP (possibly Vista)

Alright, I just found out about this very recently on my quest to get a wireless adapter for my Xbox 360. You can use the wireless connection from your laptop as an internet connection for the 360. I'm putting this up because I had a lot of trouble with the DNS portion of this and no one has posted up the way that I found to do it, so here I go.

Supplies:
Laptop connected to internet
Xbox 360
Ethernet Cable (comes with Xbox, can use any other though)

1. First, have your xbox turned on. Also have your PC on, since this next part is all with the computer. This will probably work with a wired connection as well (but you could probably just hook straight up to your router or modem then), but here it is. First go to start and go into your control panel. Switch to classic view by using the link in the top left corner of the window. Find Network Connections and open it.

2. You should see a "Local Area Connection" (unconnected, this is for the connection to the Xbox) and your internet connection (mine is called "Wireless Network Connection"). Connect the ethernet cable to your laptop and to the back of the 360. Enable the "Local Area Connection". After it is completely connected, disable your internet connection, in my case "Wireless Network Connection". Once is it disable, right click the internet connection and click properties. Go to the Advanced tab and check off "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection." Allow this to finish, it may take a little bit. Once it is done, your internet connection should say shared next to the status of the connection.

3. Enable your internet connection. Once it is fully connected, right click the "Local Area Connection" and click repair. Allow that to finish. On your Xbox, find the system panel and navigate through it until you find "Test Connection to Xbox Live". Test the connection. If it works, congratulations, you don't need this next part. For some, at this point, they get a DNS error. There are a number of ways to fix this. None of them worked for me however (at least on the places I looked). So I found my own way. If my way doesn't work for you, then you can search in google for it and you should get a number of other troubleshooting tips.

4. You must have a connection to a router. If you have a wired connection to a modem, then I don't know what is the problem. In order to be able to navigate the internet again you need to disable the "Local Area Connection" and then repair the Internet Connection (follow steps above to enable everything again once you are done). Go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ . You will be asked for a login. On most routers it is:
Username: admin
Password: (no password)

If this does not work, look up the login information for you router model. Once logged in, you must find where your DNS server IPs would be listed. I only have specific information for my router, so if you can't find it, look up where to find the IPs on your router model. My router is a D-Link DI-514. On the left side-bar, Wizard should be highlighted. On the top bar, click Status. Under WAN you should find DNS IPs. Manually input these into your Xbox (rather than have it find them automatically) and test your connection again. At this point it should be working. Any other errors can be search for online. I just felt that this specific one should be mentioned, because all the fixes available (AFAIK) did not work for me.

Hopefully this helps :)
I will be editing this with images to make it easier, and probably a more detailed section on where to look on the Xbox for the things I mentioned.

Edited by DarkPsycho (see edit history)

MTU Problem

Internet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A Laptop

I'm having problem connecting to XBOX live through direct connection from my laptop to my xbox using my wireless internet. Everytime I try to connect, it says MTU failed with the statu codes :

W: 000-000B

X: 0000-F001

Y: 0000-0000

Z: 0000-0000.

If you know what the problem is, please email me back...Thank you

-reply by Jason Lee

By the Way

Replying to DarkPsycho

Using a network bridge is a much more effective way to network your xbox. Using internet connection sharing will often result in a moderate or strict NAT which in turn gives you very little games to join in multiplayer games. Just look up a guide for bridging.

-reply by Zhumos

THANK YOU SO MUCH... This is the best guide I could find and it worked PERFECTLY... Other use the bridge connections, which I always had problems with,b ut this works 100% of the time.THANKS AGAIN

I get DNS failure whenever i try to connect. IP gets confirmed so the does the first check.My Ethernet cable goes into a Siemens router where the dsl(telephone) wire also goes. I don't know what to do.

I've been trying to get this alternative to work for a long time. Since I changed my router from a Belkin F5d7230-4 v.7 to this Trendnet TEW-632BRP my Xbox Live test goes all the way up to the XBOXLIVE logo and fails. Also, I've been disabling every firewall I would encounter to see if it was an access issue...no luck...Any ideas?Just in case...This is how I have my hardware connected---- wireless==== wireXbox 360 ===== HP Pavilion Laptop ----------Router====Modem (Comcast)Thank you.

how to image scroll, whenever mouse hover on selected button

Hi

How to photo album bound in appropriate control and whenever mouse hover on given button then its automatic scroll one by one image in asp.Net 2.0 C#

we are waiting you response ...

Thanks

I cant find network connections in classic view, and the closest things to it are network and sharing center and Internet options. I am using a compaq presario c500.

-reply by nick

ok first I'm having issues connecting my xbox 360 to my laptop using ics because I have a usb modem that I got from my cell phone provider...It seems that it works when it wants to I can go and play online for a week strait with no problem then I plug in and can't get it to work, I went out and bought a wireless addapter for the xbox that worked for 3 days and now I'm having the same problem...Don't know what the issue is...But I kinda have to respond to that other guys post a little bit...First almost everything you said confused the hell out of me...Second if a person has a router why the hell don't they plug the 360 strait to it...If it is too far away quite beeing a cheep *bottom* spend $100.00 and buy a wireless adapter for the 360 holly **** what an idea...If anyone has any usefull suggestions please help

I don't like interminten problems

Xbox 360 ConnectionInternet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A Laptop

xbox 360 live connection failure when other computers sign in

I am having a little problem with my xbox 360 connection. The xbox 360 will connect to the internet through the wireless router and adaptor but whenever someone connects to the internet on the  laptop I lose my internet connection on the xbox.

Please help! - Steve

X-box live problems - how to fix x-box live connection can read wireless network but not i.p. addressInternet Connection Sharing With Xbox 360 And A Laptop

I just started having a problem with my x-box live connection.  I'm using the wireless piece to get a read from my wireless modem. It was working fine for a long time until a couple of days ago.  Basically it can read that it can connect to the wireless modem but it will not automatically read my IP Settings or DNS Settings.  When I manually enter them it still won't read the addresses.  Does anyone know what I can do to fix this.

-question by reasoner19

Replying to DarkPsycho Hi mate. HELP !! To cut a long story short, I'm as thick as 2 short planks, and need your help and advice. I have an x-box but at present no pc. Can you please tell me the very basics I need to get going playing 'live'. Obviously an internet connection of sorts, but is it neccessary to buy a pc/laptop? Will a virgin broadband connection and modem do or do I need all the other bits? I'm also definately not a techno-phobe so any reply in bog-standard, understandable to a thicko language would be appreciated !Many thanks Gary.-question by Gary

You don't need a pc to go online. The best thing to do is get a router with a built in modem. These can vary in price, but you will be looking at around ?30. You won't need anything flash, the cheapest one you can find will do so long as its new-ish. You need the ethernet cable you should have got with your xbox, which plugs directly into it. The only thing is, you need a pc to set this up. I'm not sure if the modem Virgin will supply you with will need it, but most do. It would be fine to borrow someones pc or laptop, as you will only ever need it to set it up, once it is, you're home free. Any more questions, email me and I'll try to help. I had such problems setting mine up, I'm no expert, but I had to try everything. Google is your friend if you do have problems.

-reply by Steve