xisto Community
KansukeKojima

Screen Shot Of What My Website Will Look Like

oh crap reallly..... grrrr..... I guess the browser compatability sucks.......... great...... well... that blohs....Well, I know that it works with IE...... what browser are you using... and how can I fix this? feel free to examine my source code....

lol yeah man cross broswer coding can be a pain in the *bottom*. That screen shot I took was in firefox but its the same effect in safari too. I cant really check on IE since my PC is across the room on another table and I am too lazy to boot it up. What it looks like to me is since you added the padding its effected the width of your divs. so I think one way is to keep the padding widths but reduce the width.

.padding {css.css (line 55)background-color:#FFFFFF;color:#000000;font-family:verdana,tahoma,arial,sans-serif;font-size:8pt;padding-left:10px;padding-right:5px;text-align:left;text-decoration:none;width:600px;}

try reduce witdh to like 585px;or you could try give it a max-width:600px;looking at your source you have used <div class='padding' only twice and thats where its expanding out. The only other element I see that might effect it is <fieldset but it probably isnt. Hopefully changing widths of .padding class will do it.note:There could be number of things causing it like maybe content inside causing it to expand. I know margins also can cause it to expand but in your case I cant see any use of it so far.

Edited by sonesay (see edit history)

I tried the max-width thingy... and since I'm lame, I don't have any alternate browsers.... so yeah... is it fixed? Thanks!

As it would appear that you did not read a few more of the posts, the design is now actually in use... I didn't even use any slices... no tables, its <div> tags... my first time using no tables might I add.... If you thought the screen shot was made in photoshop, it was not.... I made the big 300x600 head image in photoshop, put it on an html page, made some content areas and then took a screen shot...On a note about slicing: it sucks........

As it would appear that you did not read a few more of the posts, the design is now actually in use... I didn't even use any slices... no tables, its <div> tags... my first time using no tables might I add....
If you thought the screen shot was made in photoshop, it was not.... I made the big 300x600 head image in photoshop, put it on an html page, made some content areas and then took a screen shot...

On a note about slicing: it sucks........

yeah, reading sucks.
I love slicing. Only because I suck at coding ahaha. I'll keep with graphic design, I think.

that max-width 600px didnt work it still looks the same in ff. I would then try max-width 585px and remove that width of 600px just incase its affecting it somehow sotry

max-width:585px;min-width:585px;

just incase, sorry cant give you a straight answer my method is mostly trail and error since I still dont fully understand css effects and your page structure. the reason i'm suggesting 585px wide is because i'm counting on the padding being added on after to total 600px;edit:I just noticed looking at your css file you havnt given default margins or padding for body.

a:link, a:visited {color:#3B3B3B;font-family:verdana,tahoma,arial,sans-serif;font-size:8pt;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;}a:hover {border-bottom:1px dashed #727272;color:#3B0004;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;}.content {background-color:#FFFFFF;color:#000000;font-family:verdana,tahoma,arial,sans-serif;font-size:8pt;text-align:left;text-decoration:none;width:600px;}.banner {height:300px;text-align:left;top:20px;width:600px;}span.highlight {background-color:#E5E5E5;border-bottom:1px dashed #000000;font-size:10pt;font-weight:bold;text-align:left;width:100%;}.footer {color:#E5E5E5;font-family:verdana,tahoma,arial,sans-serif;font-size:8pt;text-align:center;text-decoration:none;width:600px;}.spacer {font-size:1pt;height:4px;width:600px;}.padding {background-color:#FFFFFF;color:#000000;font-family:verdana,tahoma,arial,sans-serif;font-size:8pt;max-width:600px;padding-left:10px;padding-right:5px;text-align:left;text-decoration:none;width:600px;}

Its probably a good idea to start with

body {padding: 0px;margin: 0px;}

That way everything below inherits this and you just add margins and paddings when required. If you dont give body 0padding 0 margins then all other elements in body inherit what ever padding the broswer gives as default.

Edited by sonesay (see edit history)

I have done what you have commanded me to do. Please oh fire-fox master, tell me if it worked!my lamo satire..... bleh....

Edited by KansukeKojima (see edit history)

I think the site looks pretty darn good, to tell the truth. It's got a nice clean look, a personal touch, and the coding is pretty clean. Good job.Of course, the suggestions come in here. :P Saint Michael is complaining about the white being too white because he's old. :) But maybe you should lighten up the background crimson color, since the contrast is probably making your white seem even brighter, which might make looking at your site kind of painful once someone strains a retina. :D As mentioned, the image map is cool, but I recommend that you slice up that image into chunks and link the images as separate entities, placing them into DIVs, (the Home image to your index, etc.), then arrange them by positioning their DIVs. That way, if you want to change the navigation at all, you can simply edit one pic instead of the whole thing, then having to redo your image map coordinates.Cell padding would be good for your text too, since it's too close to the borders of your content portion. Of course, this has already been addressed.Take your own lesson to heart and use CSS to style up that text area, too.I think you should put up more content then let us know to check back to see how everything comes up. We'll worry about aesthetics moreso; you just try to satisfy your audience and put up more content. :) Also, IE6 shows it different than FF2 (2.0.0.11), but not by much difference. I'm viewing this on a 1440x900 monitor too.Good job so far, dude. Keep it up. :D

Edited by rayzoredge (see edit history)

Ok first, Sonesay:It looks fine in IE. And thank you very much for the help.Now rayzoredge:Thanks for your compliments and suggestions.For now, I am fine with the image map, later if at all necescery I will slice it up. As far as cellpadding... I already did that... its got left padding of 10px, and right padding of five px.... does it need more?Also, I will try to work on some more tutorials, some more art, and a few more blog stories.What are some ways I could style up my content areas?Finally, addressing the "white being too white" issue. I'll assume that If I pick a lighter color, then the white won't seem so bright? If not, what is another remedy?~Thanks~

Simple enough. Two things, color scheme changes on the blog (best to keep it the same as the site), and once on the blog there is no link to go back to the main site.

To be honest, i dont really care for your site (no offense). The color are a bit boring and just dont stand out. You need some sort of accent color to bring attention to the links and especially your title. The font you chose, just is really hard to read. I thought your site was name "ak art" and not 2k initially until i was reading some other posts. The reason i think your design needs lots of work is that this is supposed to be an art site and i do not see any art on the main page. I would recommned putting something from your portfolio (or blending a few together) and use them as your theme and part of your layout. The rest of the issues are just programming ones like adding padding, changing the text font, making it blend into your layour better, etc.

Ok seriously, since almost everyone hates it, I'll make a new design. And I'll actually preview it here before I put it up.... and hopefully this will get rid of these problems...

Anyways, I plan to keep the current design for now, but I will definately re-design. I will include a random art preview area... etc.... I'll come up with it later... but it will be much better.

EDIT:

Could a few of you make a list of some features you would like to see (while staying in the websites... umm... niche.....).