xisto Community
pasten

Open Any Unknown File Type With Notepad Make Notepad as default file opener

Open Any Unknown File with Notepad

DISCLAIMER: The following contains registry edits. If done improperly

can cause strange behaviour, and at worst, could even entirely corrupt

your Windows Installation, requiring you to reinstall Windows.

I cannot be held for any damage you may cause to your system as a

result of taking any action suggested in the following article.

Target OS: Windows XP

Introduction:

This registry edit can be very useful for Programmers and those who are often irritated by right clicking a file and selecting Open With/Notepad.

This edit makes any unknown file type to automatically open with notepad.

Just double click "default_notepad_opener.reg" and press OK if any dialog box pops up.

So download the file here: default_notepad_opener.zip

OR

You can copy the code below into your favourite text editor and save it with .reg extension and apply. Before applying .reg extension go to “Tools” > “Folder Options…” > “View” tab and uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types”.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell]@="notepad"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\notepad]@="Open with Notepad"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\notepad\command]@="C:\\WINDOWS\\NOTEPAD.EXE %1"

NOTE: You can make any specfic file to always open with notepad, for eg for .php files to open with notepad, you right click the file, select properties and change "Open's with" application with notepad. But the registry edit described above is better.

For Reviewers: You can tell me to do as written in the above NOTE. But it will create registry settings for each file type. So, when I worked with .php3 files it will create registry settings for that and now if I set for .php again another registry. You see it makes us feel cool when one registry does the thing (for .css, .js, etc).

If some specific software’s have registered it (like Browser, HTML Editors) then those settings will be applicable.

Important:

This registry edit has only been tested on Windows Xp Professional edition.

From Author:

I think you've all done this edit succefully.

If you have any doubts then mail me:

dnitishkumar@gmail.com

Better you post your doubts, suggestions, reviews here.

Edited by pasten (see edit history)

Semi-hidden bug

Open Any Unknown File Type With Notepad

I use this method since a long time now and it has a little problem. Using this option completely disables the "Open with..." feature. Every time you click on "Open with..." and/or "Choose program...", notepad will open up not allowing you to choose other options for opening the file. Currently I'm looking for some way of having both options but still not lucky. Just wanted you to know.

Greetings

-reply by Spsp1981

This tweak is buggy

Open Any Unknown File Type With Notepad

At least under WinXP this tweak causes "Open with..." and "Choose program..." context menu items to open the file in notepad instead of the corresponding dialog box, After ages I'm still looking for a solution to this, but still not luck.

Good luck!

-reply by Spsp1981

This registry edit works fine for me. So, I can say, its working perfect on Windows XP SP3. I also get the correct "Open With" dialog box when I "Open" for unknown file types.

@Spsp1981- It seems the edit is not working in some older versions (SP2 or lower). You can check this article or thee solution: http://www.winhelponline.com/xp/openas.htm
Just apply the patch after applying this one. Hopefully it should work.

This registry edit works fine for me. So, I can say, its working perfect on Windows XP SP3. I also get the correct "Open With" dialog box when I "Open" for unknown file types.
@Spsp1981- It seems the edit is not working in some older versions (SP2 or lower). You can check this article or thee solution: http://www.winhelponline.com/xp/openas.htm
Just apply the patch after applying this one. Hopefully it should work.

The guy asked for help 9th september 08? I don't think he's following this topic anymore...

I don't know how this guest account works, but I suppose he would have entered his email while posting the replies.Anyway the solution would not only help him, but also to others who might visit this thread through search engines in future.

Notepad Text .. and .. Error 501 repairs needed please?Open Any Unknown File Type With Notepad

Hi,

I'm running IE6 - (newly re-installed HDD)/ OE 6 - SP3, Windows XP Home Edition.

I have 2 irritating problems which I can't resolve, even after several attempts of finding help via the Internet.

1 ... A txt file opened in Notepad gives me anything but the English text I would prefer to see .. Looks to be a lot of Chinese text, how do I resolve this issue please?

2 ... Newly created mail in Outlook Express 6 won't let me *Format/Font* (change the Font to the one I require), error message reads ... An error has occurred in this dialogue, Error 501 .. Permission denied ..  again, searched for the resolve, but nothing found.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next, so please can you advise me?

Many thanks,

Anne

-reply by Anne

I prefer drag the file into notepad than editing my registry. not all ppl know about this registry things and how it important is.About error in notepad character encoding, maybe you don't have the proper character encoder. you still can try to change the character code to ANSI or UTF8 or unicode when opening that file.