xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jlrr94

Windows, Linux Or Mac Osx? Which OS do u prefer.

Operating Systems  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For some odd reason, Windows is actually faster.

What made you reach that conclusion?

The main reason I don't use Linux as often anymore is because a lot of programs I have only run on Windows and I can't bother to set up Wine properly.

What programs? Also, there isn't much you can do with Wine if something doesn't instantly load, but if you miss the simple stuff, then you'll think it's crap when it's not. Did you look your programs up in Winehq to see if anybody made a guide on them?

Well, at least the programs I run in it. Even Firefox runs faster.

Anyway, I don't like the general interface either, mostly because of the fonts.

There isn't much you can do with Wine if something doesn't instantly load, but if you miss the simple stuff, then you'll think it's crap when it's not. Did you look your programs up in Winehq to see if anybody made a guide on them?

Let's see... Nonstandard programs like ALZip and Stepmania, maybe...

Let's see... Nonstandard programs like ALZip and Stepmania, maybe...

ALZip: Wow a zip system, choose another one of the multitude that exist and do the same thing.

Stepmania: Haha are you for real? Look on their website, it's natively supported by Linux so you don't even need Wine. Link. Even then, the game was getting a Platinum compatibility rating over at winehq, which means it works perfectly.

Edited by dre (see edit history)

Personally, I would prefer to use Windows Vista because I've already gotten so used to Windows Operating Systems and how to become a non-programmer Power User. There are just things that I can't escape that are Windows Only.However, for my parents or any one of my friends, I would ALWAYS recommend Mac OS X Leopard. Apple is VERY good at user interface and layout, and all the real-estate is used so perfectly. All my Mac user friends love using the Mac, even if their reason is that it looks prettier. However, the subliminal message inside Mac OS X is that you will feel better when you no longer have to click the small invisible buttons of Windows, and have access to so many easier to use software. A google search for Windows software yields millions of results, but most of the top results are spammed and are very poor software. The better software obviously exist, but since Windows software programmers do not pay attention to user interface and layout, it is very disappointing.Mac OS X may focus on form over functionality, but that's what people say to attack Mac users. In reality, Mac OS X is very intuitive, and perfect for people who just want a computer like a piece of furniture with internet features and chatting. Windows needs teaching, but Mac OS X doesn't.For Power Users who are not enthusiastic Web Designers or Graphics Designers, AVOID Mac OS X. Mac OS X is a community of ARROGANT people who don't admit that they like the operating system because of how pretty it looks or that they design websites very frequently. You're better off with Windows XP or Windows Vista if you really want to have that "I really know what I can do with this" feeling.

yes, i have a difficulty with VISTA, Xp more reliable with its hardware compatiblity. So until now I still using XP as my OS.I have tried linux, but it take time to loading at startup., :o(

I have personally used both Windows XP, and Linux, and I am split between the two. I think that Linux is the better operating system, but right now it does not support enough hardware/software to become a true competitor. If/When Linux gets to the point that it is pre-installed on computer and software companies start to develop for it, then I think it will get to the same usability as Windows. I don't like XP as much, but at least I know it is guaranteed to work with 80% of software. I haven't really tried using Mac OS X, so I can't comment on it.

If/When Linux gets to the point that it is pre-installed on computer

Dell is already selling computers with Ubuntu Linux pre-installed.

...and software companies start to develop for it, then I think it will get to the same usability as Windows.

I seriously doubt it will ever happen. Linux was never meant to be a free Windows, and I doubt it will ever become that, and I'm quite happy with it. If it suddenly gains that much power, then it's bound to get corrupted like Microsoft.

Well I wouldnt't actually agree that linux will become corrupted as microsoft as you said it. Because microsoft is not corrupted company it is in fact byrocratical institution due to its largness. However, if and I really hope that it will not become so much popular as MIcrosoft operating system Windows it will become just the same MIcrosofts product. Since then hackers script kiddies will be able and will gladly write exploits for the Linux distributions and they are not doing so because of the simple fact there are not enough useers to do be feasible.

There is a big difference in how Microsoft is corrupted, and how Linux could become corrupted. Microsoft is centralized. The company can do whatever it wants, and if you don't like it - tough luck. Linux is much more de-centralized. Any company can distribute their own copy of it if they don't like certain parts of it.

Hah, since Microsoft has gained a accomplished it's users, why dont you or some people try it. Maybe Linux would have more user than Microsoft Windows in the future!Linux need to be explored! Linux needs time to improve! Linux is not good or bad, but it's just okay for me.-Amiel

I have only used Windows (XP and the older versions like Windows 98, 2000) and Mac OSX Leopard. I have since forgotten what I liked most about 98 or 2000 because I have been using XP. But that was until January when I finally moved over to the Mac platform. Windows XP is just like what it is, simple to use but far too many exploits and I can find so many flaws in that OS which Leopard effectively fixes. The problem and concern about a Mac is the lack of software on it, but just how many types of applications do you want to have? Mac has the major applications like Microsoft Office, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, the Adobe family. Though the Mac does not support many games, you have Boot Camp for that, to play PC platform games on a Mac. Personally I like how Leopard works as compared to Windows XP. Opening tonnes and tonnes of windows which are spread out over 4 different spaces.If I were to have these windows on XP, I will probably clutter my taskbar with an uncountable number of windows. I work more efficiently on a Mac than on Windows. When a certain application crashes, it doesn't affect the entire system, just the concerned application. I could give you more reasons why Leopard is definitely better than any Windows OS. The best part about Leopard is that you do not need 2GB of RAM to run it smoothly. But moving to a Mac OS at first wasn't easy, using cmd+click instead of right click took some getting used to as well as some of the other combinations which I am so familiar in XP. If you ever use Leopard, you won't regret it.