xisto Community
gisellebebegirl

Buying Url Help

Ok so.. yea.. here it goes, after comfusing my co-host to death i decided to ask the wonderfull peple of Xisto! OK! soLets say i happen to buy a url for my site... what would happen?a.it redirects you to the site, the adress for each part of my website will always appear to be HAVE-HEART.COM no /somethingbut inside it really is have-heart.trap17.com/something.. its just redirectedORb.The site takes the identity of the new name.. aka.. the files witll me have-heart.com/jesusjuice.htmlplease answer.. before i start coding my site..btw, im buying the name from namecheap

Well I was unable to understand your problem .If you please try to expalin it more then its good.But Why do you want to pay for a domain ,Xisto also provides free domain names ,you just need to get to 280 credits thats all but its difficult I know,I am trying to achieve that.If you can't wait for the domain then its good ,buy your domain from namecheap,its good or try yahoo domains

If I understand your situation correctly, you are asking about the Xisto sub-domain versus a purchased domain name?

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ is my Xisto sub-domain name.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ is a puchased domain PARKED on top of the Xisto sub-domain.

Visit either link and you see the same pages, but the URL is displayed according to the link you choose from the two links. If you use the jlhaslip.com, the link stays as jlhaslip.com. Likewise with the sub-domain.

If I understand your situation correctly, you are asking about the Xisto sub-domain versus a purchased domain name?
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ is my Xisto sub-domain name.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ is a puchased domain PARKED on top of the Xisto sub-domain.

Visit either link and you see the same pages, but the URL is displayed according to the link you choose from the two links. If you use the jlhaslip.com, the link stays as jlhaslip.com. Likewise with the sub-domain.

yes it was something like that, i kinda figured out the answer to it when i purchased my url have-heart.net what i wanted to know was if, it was only going to be a redirect frame, or the new identity of the site

(such as, when your in cpanel and create a new file) enstead of it showing, new file created! have-heart.trap17.com/file name
i was curious if it would show, have-heart.net/file name

sorry if i comfused anyone.. i was comfused myself so ya

If you set up the domain for redirect to have-heart.trap17.com it will only show have-heart.net all the time.If you put in the Xisto nameservers when you are setting up the domain it will show have-heart.net/whatever.Nameservers:ns1.trap17.comns2.trap17.com

Edited by DarkPsycho (see edit history)

When you Park your purchased domain, both URL will show the same page (i.e. sub-domain/file and domain/file).The only trouble is if you call URL "sub-domain/file.name" from your A HREF markup it will lead to your subdomain.So the best way to make your web page is to always use A HREF=file.name or A HREF=folder/file.nameThis way, it doesn't matter if you use sub-domain or TLD (Top Level Domain) to point to the same folder or file.The second option is to Add-On domain and redirect from sub-domain to your TLD. You can establish redirect using any redirect service (i.e. .htaccess redirect) or make an index page to automatically redirect.If you have not gained important traffic to your sub-domain site, I would strongly suggest use the Xisto Manage page and change your domain name tied to your Xisto hosting account.

Phew this whole topic go me confusedm anyways in a previous topic you posted here your basically asking the same question and thats how will my links be displayed if I parked/add-on a domain and my Xisto subdomain.

Like haslip mentioned in your first topic if you use ../ in your links, it will show up as that domain, and I used your urls for examples.

YOUR FILE

../gallery.html

YOUR DOMAINS

have-heart.trap17.com/

have-heart.net

INFO ON URL SET UP

Link

Ok from the information provided by the website that ../ is short hand for typing out the www and so regardless of what domain is pointed to that site ../gallery.html will show up as have-heart.trap17.com/gallery.html and have-heart.net/gallery.html. However, there is a somewhat big problem with using relative urls and that has to do with SEO (search engine Optimization), and that is they won't recognize it in some weird way. This article on SEO and urls gives you an idea what you want absolute links if you plan to get your website index on search engines. Of course this problem is debatable though because this website says the opposite on what url set up to use.

Put it this way your main navigation will have absolute links so you will want to type out the full url, and no it won't interfere with the TLD redirection that plan on doing. However, in each section of your website you can go into relative urls (../), and if your as confused as I am after writing this post then just stick with the ../ and let the SEO experts chime in.

When you Park your purchased domain, both URL will show the same page (i.e. sub-domain/file and domain/file).
The only trouble is if you call URL "sub-domain/file.name" from your A HREF markup it will lead to your subdomain.

So the best way to make your web page is to always use A HREF=file.name or A HREF=folder/file.name

This way, it doesn't matter if you use sub-domain or TLD (Top Level Domain) to point to the same folder or file.

The second option is to Add-On domain and redirect from sub-domain to your TLD. You can establish redirect using any redirect service (i.e. .htaccess redirect) or make an index page to automatically redirect.

If you have not gained important traffic to your sub-domain site, I would strongly suggest use the Xisto Manage page and change your domain name tied to your Xisto hosting account.

eh first off. is there anyway to delete topics? lol anywho what i was asking was... if it was only going to be a redirect or not.. thats it
for the most part it has been..

how do you change the toplevel of your site (to the paid domain) in cpanel? it doesnt seem to let me.. is there something i need to do in my cheapnews account to allow this? anywho

i was aware of the whole /file name taking you to a page in your site.. that is so cool.. sorry lol this is kinda my second real website.. and im unaware of many things! (im only 16 lol) but yea

eh first off. is there anyway to delete topics? lol anywho what i was asking was... if it was only going to be a redirect or not.. thats itfor the most part it has been..

how do you change the toplevel of your site (to the paid domain) in cpanel? it doesnt seem to let me.. is there something i need to do in my cheapnews account to allow this? anywho

i was aware of the whole /file name taking you to a page in your site.. that is so cool.. sorry lol this is kinda my second real website.. and im unaware of many things! (im only 16 lol) but yea

also no intension to spam whatsowhever but i want to ask this before i forget! how do you put a pic next to your post.. *under your name) the way most people around here do.. lol sorry for the short post again! gah!

Yes - you can redirect from Xisto sub-domain to your TLD with a help of your cpanel or custom made index page (very simple).Yes - you can change your sub-domain URL to TLD using Manage Page (https://support.xisto.com/) and select Change Domain Name (requires 15 hosting credits).Avatar - go to your control panel [My Controls] in this forum (at the top of each forum page) > Personal Profiles > Edit Avatar SettingsDon't be hesitant to ask questions--only dumb question is one that's not asked. But do try to search the forum before making your case. You can edit your post (if your post is the last one remaining) rather than posting a follow-up. As stated, this topic is closed unless a request is sent to any moderator to reopen this topic :)