xisto Community
Acraine

Phpbb

To tell you the truth I really think vB sucks and its way not worth it. I love Invision Power Board and I have v2.0.3 for my community. I have also used punBB which is light wait but not very pretty and no graphics. I also used XMB which was a nice fast graphical baodr but I finally decided I wanted IPB the most so I got it. :P

IPB all the way. The administration is far better than phpbb, and it has a warn system. As for skins, I think phpbb is definatly easier, but theres no way to edit skins in the AdminCP, although that's supposed to change with the new version. The only reason I use phpbb is because it's free, and while IPB is good, it's not worth the money to me, especially with phpbb being only a few steps behind, and free.

i use the wF gamefaqs spinoff source! :P it is very simple, it is very easy to create new files with, and it loads fast because its completely text-based! the only problem is, you'll need to know php to use it, because you have to de-bug and de-exploit it before you make your boards public! it gives me all the features i want; i'm happy with it! although i am in the process of creating my own gamefaqs spinoff source, it'll be awesome... if i ever finish it, lol! :D

Simple Machines is a really good forum. Try it for yourself. Click here to go to their website

Or try using WowBB...

For those of you who haven't got any money but really wants to use forums that needs you to pay, go to the following website:

WowBB

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

vBulletin

Invision PowerBoard

For other forums, Click here.

P.S You must use a NON-IE browser

I used to use phpbb, because it was easy and had nice styles and so on, but soon i realized that I want more... Since I don't like ipb so much I installed xmb and i really like it :D

Invision Powerboard is difficult to use. I tried it once. Installing a MOD is very difficult. You have to edit the code of invision powerboard.

I myself use vBulletin.I used to have an invisionfree forum, when i started my community.I didn't like the options you got, there were just too few.So, soon I got myself a very bad free host, and hosted a PHPBB board on it.Then, I found Xisto, got myself some posts and uploaded that same PHPBB Board.While scrolling around in the Cpanel, I found the IPB installer.I always wanted an IPB Board, so I installed that right away.After that, I was thinking of getting a professional host, and made some polls at some forums to ask which forum was best.Many people then sayd that vBulletin was the best, so I tried the online demo.I was instaltly amazed by its many options, it's oh-so flexible template system, and it's huge range of hacks!I went on with my research, and found that vBulletin was one of the best boards to install hacks on.(one of my hobies).I then bought vBulletin, and uploaded it to my Xisto account.Now, I'm still using that same vBulletin board, on that same Xisto account :D.If you have a lot of free time, and you're good with vBulletin, you can even make a lot of money by coding hacks for other companies! (something I do now).

I myself use vBulletin.

I used to have an invisionfree forum, when i started my community.

I didn't like the options you got, there were just too few.

So, soon I got myself a very bad free host, and hosted a PHPBB board on it.

Then, I found Xisto, got myself some posts and uploaded that same PHPBB Board.

While scrolling around in the Cpanel, I found the IPB installer.

I always wanted an IPB Board, so I installed that right away.

After that, I was thinking of getting a professional host, and made some polls at some forums to ask which forum was best.

Many people then sayd that vBulletin was the best, so I tried the online demo.

I was instaltly amazed by its many options, it's oh-so flexible template system, and it's huge range of hacks!

I went on with my research, and found that vBulletin was one of the best boards to install hacks on.(one of my hobies).

I then bought vBulletin, and uploaded it to my Xisto account.

Now, I'm still using that same vBulletin board, on that same Xisto account :D.

If you have a lot of free time, and you're good with vBulletin, you can even make a lot of money by coding hacks for other companies! (something I do now).

46861[/snapback]

They said vBulletin, it's eay to modify it's templates, is this true? So, if your hobbie is to create hacks for vBulletin, then are you telling me that it's easy to make hacks and templates for vBulletin? Try Simple Machines... and WowBB.

They are really cute. http://www.simplemachines.org/ http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Heh, there is a difference between installing hacks and coding them :D.Editing templates in vBulletin, and installing hacks, is extremely easy.Coding them, is harder. Still, coding hacks for vBulletin is easyer than coding them for IPB, but harder than coding for PHPBB.PHPBB has more limits though.vBulletin also has a big hack writing helpfull community, and if you would really need help (screwed up while upgrading or something), someone can help you out for ~10 $ !People like me (vBulletin hack coder) aren't rare at all, so you will find lots of help at the vbulletin.org forums :D. (vb.org is the vbulletin hack community)

Heh, there is a difference between installing hacks and coding them :D.

Editing templates in vBulletin, and installing hacks, is extremely easy.

Coding them, is harder. Still, coding hacks for vBulletin is easyer than coding them for IPB, but harder than coding for PHPBB.

PHPBB has more limits though.

vBulletin also has a big hack writing helpfull community, and if you would really need help (screwed up while upgrading or something), someone can help you out for ~10 $ !

People like me (vBulletin hack coder) aren't rare at all, so you will find lots of help at the vbulletin.org forums :D. (vb.org is the vbulletin hack community)

46904[/snapback]

So, the point is PHPBB sucks or it has limits while vBulletin has none? I thought IPB is the best and stable? What about Simple Machines?

PHPBB sucks, once you tried vB :D.
IPB is stable, because it is harder to modify.
vB is easy to modify, and mistakes just aren't parsed.(e.g. you added a wrong piece of code in the templates, so it won't show up).
Once you them install another hack, which then uses that code, your system will not perform at its maximum.

IPB is used most, because it's the cheapest compared to vB.
I never tried simple machines, so I can't judge that one.

vBulletin is used by 2 groups:
1. Big rich companies, who can afford the yearly license cost/the high buying price.
2. People who like coding, and like coding hacks.

If you want, you can go to vbulletin.org, find a hack you wanna see, then use this site to download it.

Has anyone else used phpbb, and would be able to compare it to the opther solutions available out there?

38105[/snapback]

i used phpBB for a while, but i always added the modifications and i found almost none were ezmod compatible as well as alot conflicted with eachother, so eventually i screwed up my site enough for it to not allow users to register because it could not find the visual confirmation pictures and there were more errors similar to that.

eventually i switched (and am still currently using) phpNuke platinum. it has over 200 pre-installed mods and has some kool themes/skins and is just as versitile as phpBB. you can even get templates and that proted from phpBB to phpNuke.

http://www.techgfx.com/

PHPBB sucks, once you tried vB :D.

IPB is stable, because it is harder to modify.

vB is easy to modify, and mistakes just aren't parsed.(e.g. you added a wrong piece of code in the templates, so it won't show up).

Once you them install another hack, which then uses that code, your system will not perform at its maximum.

IPB is used most, because it's the cheapest compared to vB.

I never tried simple machines, so I can't judge that one.

vBulletin is used by 2 groups:

1. Big rich companies, who can afford the yearly license cost/the high buying price.

2. People who like coding, and like coding hacks.

If you want, you can go to vbulletin.org, find a hack you wanna see, then use this site to download it.

46918[/snapback]

I don't like how forums appears when using vBulletin. It's like it's not professional. In IPB, it's like you have a forum that is very expensive! :D

So, vBulletin is the answer? Is there any version of vBulletin that is premodded? How can I get vBulletin for free? I have no money! :D

i used phpBB for a while, but i always added the modifications and i found almost none were ezmod compatible as well as alot conflicted with eachother, so eventually i screwed up my site enough for it to not allow users to register because it could not find the visual confirmation pictures and there were more errors similar to that.

eventually i switched (and am still currently using) phpNuke platinum. it has over 200 pre-installed mods and has some kool themes/skins and is just as versitile as phpBB. you can even get templates and that proted from phpBB to phpNuke.

http://www.techgfx.com/

47113[/snapback]

phpNuke is good... But I suggest that you must not use any CMS software because it's not challenging. Challenge yourself. Challenge your PHP knowledge. Create a PHP-based website from scratch... Your PHP knowledge will also improve.... :D