xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
byrdhouse

How To Build Computers Any suggestions on books, resouces, etc.

Hello...

I am looking for information on how to build computers from scratch. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate your input. I'm presently reading Building a PC For Dummies in order to get me started.

Thank you for any help you can give...

Ciao! ;)

I have built my own PC's... Built a new one for christmas ;)Its not as hard as you think, you just have to make sure that all the pieces are compatable, it would be stupid to buy an AMD Athlon XP and buy a mother board for a pentium 4... because the processoor will not fit ;)I was going to start a thread on how to build your own PC, but coulc not be bothered, lol.

Had a quick look and the following sites came up and seem to have a fair bit of information on them and be reasonably up to date. They're probably worth a browse at the very least. Apart from that i would recommend that if you have trouble with any part of the process you search for a forum which deals with that topic, you'll just about always find somebody willing to help, and they usually know what they're talking about.

http://pc.buildyourown.org.uk/
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://www.pcmech.com/article/build-your-own-pc-guide/

Thanks Cragllo and Jhearad for the input. Jhearad, I'll check out the websites when I have more time. It will at least get me started and possibly provide additional links into the great beyond of computer building cyberspace. I'm also considering on taking a class about building computers from a friend who owns a computer shop in town. Anyway, thanks again...Ciao,Bill Gates ;)

What sort of machine are you looking at building? Let us know what sort of components you're looking at and that sort of thing. It will be interesting to see how you get on. Just be sure you're careful when you put everything together and that you remember static electricity can be evil and cost a fortune. I found out the hard way when swapping some RAM. Thankfully it was in an old machine, but it was still very annoying. One other thing to make sure of is that you have an adeuqate power supply and that it is well protected, whatever the system.

I would suggest reading PC Hardware In A Nutshell from O'Reilly... It's a great book, and has detailed information about every piece of hardware you'll need...It is available as eBook (I have it), and even though it's slightly outdated (July 2003.), it is still very usefull

Hello...

I am looking for information on how to build computers from scratch.  If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate your input.  I'm presently reading Building a PC For Dummies in order to get me started.

Thank you for any help you can give...

Ciao!  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you really want to build your own Computer - or do you just want to learn how to do it? I fyou want to learn - then of course its a good idea. If you are just trying to save a few bucks - then its not realy worth it - if you shop around you would find you can get a ready built for only slightly more. Personally I would prefer to buy mine ready built from reliable supplier

What sort of machine are you looking at building? Let us know what sort of components you're looking at and that sort of thing. It will be interesting to see how you get on. Just be sure you're careful when you put everything together and that you remember static electricity can be evil and cost a fortune. I found out the hard way when swapping some RAM. Thankfully it was in an old machine, but it was still very annoying. One other thing to make sure of is that you have an adeuqate power supply and that it is well protected, whatever the system.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I want to build different systems for not only the knowledge but also to possibly sell them locally and over the internet. I want to know how to custom build computers based on customers needs/desires...(so everything will be broadly based)

Thank you for the input on the static electricity and power supply issues.

Ciao :rolleyes:

Do you really want to build your own Computer - or do you just want to learn how to do it? I fyou want to learn - then of course its a good idea. If you are just trying to save a few bucks - then its not realy worth it - if you shop around you would find you can get a ready built for only slightly more. Personally I would prefer to buy mine ready built from reliable supplier

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you look at the reply above I think you'll get the idea as to where I'm going with this...and yes, I agree with buying it especially since computer systems have gone down quite a bit. Thank you for your input.

Take Care...

STEPSSTEP 1 : Purchase/Collect The Components STEP 2 : Remove Case Cover STEP 3 : Case Preparation STEP 4 : Configure Your Motherboard STEP 5 : Install the CPU STEP 6 : Install Heat Sink/Fan STEP 7 : Install the Cache Module STEP 8 : Install Memory STEP 9 : Install the Motherboard STEP 10 : Install the I/O Connectors & Mouse STEP 11: Hook the Motherboard to the Case STEP 12 : Install Floppy Drive STEP 13 : Configure the Hard Drive & CD-ROM STEP 14 : Mount Hard Drive STEP 15 : Install the CD-ROM(s) STEP 16 : Connect the Floppy Drive STEP 17 : Connect the Hard Drive STEP 18 : Connect the CD Drive(s) STEP 19 : Install The Video Card STEP 20 : Post-Assembly STEP 21 : Initial Boot-Up STEP 22 : Configure The BIOS STEP 23 : Test The System STEP 24 : Prepare the Hard Drive STEP 25 : Install The CD-ROM Driver STEP 26: Install The Operating System STEP 27: Tweak Your Creation

STEPS

STEP 1 : Purchase/Collect The Components

STEP 2 : Remove Case Cover

STEP 3 : Case Preparation

STEP 4 : Configure Your Motherboard

STEP 5 : Install the CPU

STEP 6 : Install Heat Sink/Fan

STEP 7 : Install the Cache Module

STEP 8 : Install Memory

STEP 9 : Install the Motherboard

STEP 10 : Install the I/O Connectors & Mouse

STEP 11: Hook the Motherboard to the Case

STEP 12 : Install Floppy Drive

STEP 13 : Configure the Hard Drive & CD-ROM

STEP 14 : Mount Hard Drive

STEP 15 : Install the CD-ROM(s)

STEP 16 : Connect the Floppy Drive

STEP 17 : Connect the Hard Drive

STEP 18 : Connect the CD Drive(s)

STEP 19 : Install The Video Card

STEP 20 : Post-Assembly

STEP 21 : Initial Boot-Up

STEP 22 : Configure The BIOS

STEP 23 : Test The System

STEP 24 : Prepare the Hard Drive

STEP 25 : Install The CD-ROM Driver

STEP 26: Install The Operating System

STEP 27: Tweak Your Creation

41255[/snapback]

Thanks MaRiOnI for taking some time in listing the steps. They seem to be in line with what I'm reading.

Ciao :rolleyes:

building a computer really isnt hard at all, like others have said. i have built 2 and the process is really simple. just get a list of all the types of parts you need, then shop around for the parts that fit your needs. a really good place to buy computer parts is http://www.newegg.com/. i bought all of my parts here unless i can find a nice price at bestbuy or somewhere, but that usually doesnt happen. once you actually get all the parts, installing is very simple. you pretty much just have to plug everything into eachother. good luck

if you want an exellent site, http://www.newegg.com/ is deffinately the cheapest and the best! ive ordered my comp off there lots of times. they are extremely cheap and good shipping always a day early. if you want to build a comp pm me bc u can give me a summary of the specs you want and ill find the products on newegg and then get you a good guide. i know many so if you have any questions or whats ^ there u let me know plz bc i like doin that stuff. its an exellent learning experince and its actually really ez. dont make it too hard on yoursellf!