xisto Community
jlhaslip

Install An Aef Forum Onto The Trap17 From a zip file

Installing an AEF Forum on the Xisto Server

Preparation for Installing the AEF Forum

The following items are required for the installation of the packaage onto your site:

1. - a copy of the AEF Forum zip package from http://www.anelectron.com/downloads/

2. - a MySql Database

3. - a Database User

4. - a password for the Database User

5. - Privileges allowed for the Database User

The details for ensuring that you have all of these items are as follows:

1. - a copy of the AEF Forum zip package from http://www.anelectron.com/downloads/. Simply browse to the link and select the most recent zip package for downloading to your Desktop. Do Not Unzip it yet. The Xisto and the AEF package work nicely together so that the zip file can be 'extracted' into your account in the proper place without the need to upload seperate files, which can be messy in large applications. More on that after we have a Database and a Folder ready for the processing of the zip file.

2. - a MySql Database can be built for the install of the Forum by logging into your Cpanel and selecting the Mysql Database Manager Icon on the Account Home (main) page. Simply give the database a name and click on "Create MySQL Database". The Xisto will add a User Prefix to the name you use for the Database. Assuming you called the Database "aef", and your Xisto Cpanel name is "myname", then the actual reference to the Database will become "myname_aef". Note the underscore "_" in the new name for the Database.

3. - a Database User. This is not your Cpanel User Name. You must specify a Database User name. ie: "aefuser". Again, the Xisto will prefix this name with the Cpanel identifier, so the Database User Name will become "myname_aefuser".

4. - a password for the Database User is added while you are adding the User in 3. above.

5. - Privileges allowed for the Database User MUST be GRANTed. Select ALL as the Privlege Level.

Loading the Forum Files onto your Account, Xisto style.

The Xisto server and Cpanel setup allow you to 'extract from zip' files, which makes the Install easy for new account holders who may not be familiar with FTP and using the File Upload system for uploading a set of Files and Folders. Even still, the most frequent mistake made in FTP'g files is uploading into an in-correct Folder on your account, thereby making the files inaccessible on your account. Files MUST be uploaded into the public_html Folder, or a sub-folder under the public_html Folder, ie: myname/public_html/forum would be a folder named "forum" under the public_html Folder. It is recommended to add the Forum software into its own folder. There are several reasons for that. The simplest explanation is that it 'compartmentalizes' the application and makes finding things easier, especially if you add several different softwares onto your account. Each one will likely have an "Index" file, and the names would conflict, but placing them into different folders allows them to work independent from each other with no conflicts. So, decide which folder you want the Forum to be placed into and using the Cpanel File Manager, add the Folder as a Sub-folder to the public_html Folder. I will use aeftest as my Folder for the purpose of this Tutorial.

Login to your Cpanel. Select File Manager. Find and click on the folder Icon next to public_html. Select 'create new Folder' near the top of the available selections. Type in the name (aeftest) and click on Create. The page should refresh the list and the new folder should be included in that list. Click on the folder Icon next to the name of the Folder to enter that folder in preparation to uploading and extracting the AEF zip file

Once you have done the above, you will be ready for the Actual Install of the Zip file onto your account and into the correct Folder, so, now that you are inside the aeftest Folder, and have the zip file sitting on your local machine, select "Upload File(s)", browse to the location on your Hard-drive, double-click the file to select it for upload. the page will refresh once the upload is complete.

Next, you will "extract" the files by clicking on the file's Icon and selecting to "extract file contents". Close that window once the files are extracted.

Refresh the File Manager Screen and navigate to the public_html/aeftest folder. Find and click on universal.php. Select to Change Permissions for this file. Make certain that all of the select boxes are checked and the Permissions for the file are "777", then "save" the file permission settings.

Okay, now the fun begins...

Find and click on index.php, or use your Browser to navigate to http://forums.xisto.com. It can be done by clicking on the URL for the file inside the Cpanel, but using your Browser is an option, too.

When the index.php is first run, it checks to see if the Forum has been set-up, and if not, it runs the installer for the Forum. The first screen you will see indicates that the Forum is about to be installed and you need all that information we created earlier, so, armed with the pertinent information, advance to the next stage by selecting to proceed by clicking "Install".

Simply answer the questions and provide the information as it was developed in the steps above remembering that the Xisto will add a prefix for the Database Name and the Database User. For the Xisto, the localhost is exactly what the Host should be. It is often the Default Host on a Web Hosting Service. The MySQL Prefix is listed by default as "aef_". You can leave it as that or change it. The purpose for the prefix is to keep the AEF Database Tables seperate from other Applictions inside a Database for Hosting Services which allow only a single Database in tha off-chance that several packages might use similar names, so adding the Prefix alters the table names to avoid the conflict.

At the bottom of the Install screen, be certain to add a Forum User Name for the Forum Root Admin, and a password and an Email address. This User will become a Super Admin for the Forum, meaning they can go anywhere and do anything, at anytime, even if the Forum is closed to the public.

And that ends the Tutorial... enjoy your new Forum...

*edit per below*

there was a problem with installation in mysql.php that it has exceeded 30 seconds in proccessing in www-sharp runtime

mahirharoon,

If you need assistance with an Install of AEF104, please open a new Topic listing the exact error you are receiving from your attempt.

This is a Tutorial thread, not a Support thread.

Thanks.

I like AEF, and would use it if there were more skins for it. And, since I am not too good with CSS, HTML, And all those other good things, I'm not going to make one myself. Anyway, this is very good topic and it can work for installing a broad range of forum softwares besides AEF!

I had never heard of AEF before, but it looks pretty cool. Might just go ahead and give it a try. Thanks for the detailed tutorial; the internet could really use more like this one.

mahirharoon,
If you need assistance with an Install of AEF104, please open a new Topic listing the exact error you are receiving from your attempt.

This is a Tutorial thread, not a Support thread.

Thanks.

sorry
i checked the page but the problem is with the php executor in my pc

Bump this thread so a member can find it easier.Quote tags so no credits for the posting. ^_^

Thanks a lot man. Now I have a forum on my site, phew, I'm saved ^_^ This is very helpful for all people. P.S. I know I revived a old topic but I had to say thanks :P