xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
karlosantana

How I Design Websites Using Free Software This weeks challenge as set by david-essex

Ok so i'm starting a 3 Monthly challenge your welcome to give me ideas, however, this one in particular keep your eye on this as i will be putting Video tutorials, links and all sorts for the new web designer (with a very little budget)Think you've got a challenge for me (be realistic)leave a comment here on this board as I've mucked my board up :)Look Forward to hearing from you

Great idea! I'm thinking of creating a new website, however all of my tools and stuff are on my old computer (which is pretty much broken at the moment), so I can't use frontpage or dreamweaver or anything like that. All I know is there's a few html generators out there, like the myspace ones and stuff (although I'd hardly think it'd help hehe)...Or you could just use source code from another website (which isn't copywrited obviously) and edit it.I'll be sure to re-look at this thread if anyone has any other suggestions. Are you going to be posting the results on here?

Ok Thanks for your support

Tools

1.HTML editor

I'm using a FREE WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor that also doubles up as a code editor to! it's called KompoZer You can download it by clicking HERE It looks good!

2. FTP manager

There are loads of them! I've used a few but the best has got to be Filezilla There is another one that i use called web CEO but haven't looked for the download link because it requires registering and the whole idea of this post is FREE anonymous Web editing! Theres also another one called FTP Commander That's REALLY good!

3. Free Script Generators

Now i have used some generators and in the end I gave up, "Why?" I hear you say simple reason is is that they DON'T work simple reason is is that they're Javascript. So that means javascript generating... Javascript! or html it will include itself somewhere and youll be all chuffed that you've generated a kick-*bottom* script and it wont work (belive me i tried and raked through hundreds, and that isn't an exaggeration i really have been going through hundreds)

no dis-respect to strange-garden

4.Free scripts

There are so many website that offer free scripts, Javascript, html, php, xhtml ive ever seen some asp believe it or not!

Javascript

Now javascript is very simple but clever stuff. Javascript generators (as said in 3) DONT work properly so try to aviod them for fear of being humiliated you want to get the script and personalize it yourself(if you use a javascript password BEWARE they are very easy to crack)

HTML

HTML is clever to if you ever buy a website though dont be fooled by the common expression "i use pure HTML" or "i just use complex pure HTML all my websites use HTML" Get hold of them and shove them up a camels... nose because "pure HTML isnt "complex" its Quite simple, and at the same time it can be hacked password stolen etc

JavaScript Source- :( BRILLIANT i use it for most my javascripts it also has preview pages which help to!

Javascript Kit - :D iv have used this website many times the script do occasionaly not work

Dynamic Drive :( disappointing i used it for the first time and wanted to throw my laptop at the wall. I gave it many chances to prove itself but im sorry Dynamicy you just suck you dont work

Free-Javascripts.com :D very good all scripts work however there isn't a huge choice

Java-Scripts.net :D Impressive! but i did get a couple not work so just the :D for you im afraid

Javascript City.com :D Incredible the dude who made that knew what to do and how to do it the site even LOOKS nice!,

PHP

PHP is a reflective programming language originally designed for producing dynamic web pages. PHP is used mainly in server-side scripting, but can be used from a command line interface or in standalone graphical applications.

Forums

SMF :) REALLY good nothing but praises for SMF (Small Machines Forum)

PHPBB2 :D Ive Used it the admin board will inevitably stop working no matter how many times you clean your cookies as they suggest you do costumer service also sucks but was impressed at first!

These are the best two there are others there one in particular that I've used and it was fantastic built by a student and the money helped fund his studied it was called chameleon board or something as i say it was really good but i cant find it :D (if you built it and am reading this tell me what happened?)

Gallery

Coppermine Gallery :D Fantastic! I get the occasional problem but talk with people enough and someone will help you

Plogger :D BRILLIANT loved it a hickup with building a theme but that always happens to me!

Chat

WebChat :D multiple rooms, no browser refresh,emotions, private messages loved it!

Open Chat :D whisper mode is a great idea! a really good idea but i hate the browser keep refreshing

with chat your better going with a flash chat because they're just so good! there is a product called flashchat and i was gonna buy it for the pupose of this post but the idea is FREE!

e-commerce

osCommerce :D Loved it but did have a couple of problems personalizing it

Zencart :D really good! personalizable easy to use control panel better than many non open source (free) ecommerce things

the ratings are

:D =Excellent,Brilliant

:D Good, but had some problems, theres better

This is what i've looked at so far

If you have any suggestions please do suggest away! if you dont hav an account then GET ONE and suggest away (that isn't meant to be nasty)

karlosantana

well, you have my support. very well done and even including links to all your recomended sites and the faces to add to your review. keep up the good work becasue i will be looking forward to reading more on this thread. i might even experiment with the links you posted and input my opinion after i read some more updates :) don't let this thread die. you're doing a great job and very usefull and helpfull for all those seeking to build their own site that don't have the money to pay for software or scripts and resources

Well i'm primarily a PHP/mysql/html/css coder and i love the free software PHP Designer, Google it! Despite the name it edits any text file you can think of. This isnt a WYSIWYG Editor because i find them clunky and im a coder not a designer so i rarely have use for one, though i will download KompoZer as i do use them sometimes

For coders i would recommend PHP Designer as its FREE for non-commercial use and its syntax highlighted, so it will highlight your code to help you out and when coding if you start a pre-defined function such as mysql_query it will tell you what information needs to go into the brackets which can be a great reminder! If youre just coding someone else's design then i recommend NOT using a WYSIWYG editor as usually WYSIYWGs add code that you might not need or want, and one big annoyance with 3 that ive tried is every time i hit the enter key i get a BR tag and i dont want one there!

If youre not familiar with HTML or hand coding or youre a designer then a WYSIWYG will be very useful.

Another item I'd like to add are tutorials. the reason being is that you could have all the software in the world but without knowing what to do with it youre never going to get anywhere! One place that was great in my early days of PHP is Tizag.com google something like "Tizag HTML tut" and youll find all sorts of tutorials thre for HTML, JS, CSS, SQL, PHP and maybe graphics. In general a google search will return many results for good tutorials. Of course these are al free.

And another thing would be graphics editors. Essential for designers, you could just use MS pain or its linux/unix/mac counterparts but generally theyre very limited. Most people use the GIMP as its completely free and not bad in its functionality. Advanced designers might find it limited though so i suggest googling or asking around.

My setup of software is like this, all of it is free of course :

Editors

Code Editors: PHP Designer And Terillian Webpage and Nvu WYSIWYG Ediors

Image Editor: GIMP

Sound Editor: Audacity -- Not really needed but could be useful sometimes

Browsers/Debuggers etc..:

Mozilla Firefox

Internet Explorer V6 -- Not upgraded as IE 7 is a memory hog and useless, if im desperate to test in IE7 then i can get it but we all know Mozilla will take over soon :)

Other

PHP/MYSQL Servers/IDE's: XAMPP -- This is used to allow me to run and therefore test my PHP

FTP Client: Smart FTP

And thats about it. I think its a good idea to share our setups so those who need new software can see what is preferred by other people, and it also helps newbies to decide what setup they might need. A good thread here!

Is there any reason why you don't use free software?

Do you think its unsafe or something? I find it strange how people don't use free software when its there

Thankyou shadowx as you said (about adding things where you don't want them) REALLY if your gonna design PHP DONT use WYSIWYG editors as they do add things where you don't want them Dreamweaver is a classic example i was editing my sight well anyway i had to re-install the forum and the gallery etc however it had its benefit though i now have a kick *bottom* forum look at the gallery in particular i will be telling everyone how i did it when its themed as even its teeth are a different colour.

gogoily, people make free software for people to use SMF is a classic example! my cousin is a classic example he built the first ever dj'ing software (honest) and he made it free, so ordinary people can start a dj'ing business easily (and cheaply). as shadowx said why are you afraid? or one of these people who have designed software and charge for it? so wnything else is err hurting you pocket? Please explain as I'm interested because everybody wants FREE!

p.s. thankyou for everybodys support! it was really nice to look at this post and i was being supported! thankyou! oh also shadowx can i see something you've designed i will tell you why in a pm!

[hr=noshade] [/hr]

ok guys my board is up! look in the category and you'll see a section called 3 Monthly chalenges and look in there and youll see this topic! see you there! Board is Here

shadowx can i see something you've designed i will tell you why in a pm!

Ah unfortunately I'm not a designer so i haven't designed anything as such. I've followed tutorials but haven't done any design work myself for one good reason..I cant design! If you're interested in seeing some of my code then i have a few scripts i can send over but if its graphical designs you're looking for I'm, unfortunately, not the man, i don't have an artistic mind so my designs just don't work. My codes aren't bad though!

hey buddy thanks for the kompozer software .....i find very helpful when i would start making my site.and thanks for the other info tooooi appreciate ur effortthanks...buddy:)

I recommend JOOMLA it's free and installation is very easy. All you need to do is create a MySQL account with your hosting service which is simple enough and upload Joomla via FTP. They have hundreds of extensions and templates to customize your site and 95% of them are free :P . Everything you need to build and maintain a website is already built in.

Check them out here JOOMLA

Edited by SolidShadow (see edit history)

I just use notepad++, or just notepad, depending on where I am. I use those for all of my HTML, javaScript, PHP, and CSS. I've also made some applets, but I always use Eclipse for them, and I'm not really sure if you could fit applets into the 'web design' category.I don't think I'm very creative when it comes to design, either, but if I mess with something long enough, I usually end up with something at least decent.For web design, if you're really creative, it might be better trying to design it with an art program or drawing it out first, but for people like me, who pretty much suck at design, trial and error is usually better.

ok guys my board is up! look in the category and you'll see a section called 3 Monthly chalenges and look in there and youll see this topic! see you there! Board is HereKarlosantana!

you are hosting a fatal error on that page

you are hosting a fatal error on that page

Ya i know i screwed it up for the purpose of this post sorry guys! ill be back once ive found out what i did :D well anyway before i added a chatroom i had put cooppermine photo gallery into it :P was well chuffed then i went and screwed it up sorry to everyone who followed that link :D very unhappykarlosantana
very unhappy