xisto Community
bthaxor

Starcraft Whats you view?

Starcraft, some people hate it, some people love it, some people don?t give a damn. But I?m just wondering, what?s your opinion about this game? What do you think has led this game to become so big, why do you keep playing it? What keeps you hooked onto this game, I probably won?t get a straightforward answer, but lately I?ve been thinking a lot about this and I want to see what you think. In my opinion, Starcraft is an amazing game, it's an old game, but it's a classic. People in Korea have like an entire channel dedicated to this game and hold tournaments, (The Boxer guy help improve Terran's reputation even more i remember) and it's a game that Blizzard holds proudly in their name as a great RTS game. Starcraft didn?t have the best graphics or probably not the best plotline (but you got to admit it got pretty good), but what I personally think made Starcraft the best was the strategy involved. The three races, Terran, Zerg and Protoss were balanced out quite evenly with building restrictions, unit restrictions, and the general style of gameplay. Terran was best with micro, zerg is even and protoss best at macro-ing. This was a game where you had millions of choices and strategies with all these units and each of their abilities and you could choose your own style to use this abilities to your advantage, like you rush them early, maybe build a good defence and then create an airfleet or just go all out ground units with little defence, the choice was yours in this game. That is what made Starcraft a classic game in its field, so it shouldn?t be compared with other games such as Diablo which are RPGs. Starcraft has had its own unique impact on gamers around the world at the time, and has still held a steady fanbase to today. People have coined the term zerging and that guy on youtube made that over-4000-a-like video about pylons. Even DOTA (Im not sure if anyone plays this here, probably some do) is based on a Starcraft map from what I have heard/read, so Starcraft has had quite an impact on our gaming commmunity. Now Starcraft 2 is in progress and that is going to try and fill in the boots starcraft has left behind, with major additions in graphics and units, while trying to keep that balance and the need for strategy in the game, not just constant spamming of one unit in a game fighting the exact same unit in a battle or pure luck and whose hands are the fastest. The campaign editor is something that has kept Starcraft alive for so long, as well as other programs that help people create maps using the Use Map Settings feature in Starcraft to make Bounds, RPG and Defence(Which I personally love) maps to name a few. You have to say, evne if you don?t make maps, you have most likely played a map made by someone that has kept you stuck to that map, and this game, to make Starcraft that much better. Fastest possible map is like a legendary Melee/FFA map in Starcraft that has led many people to make alterations, improvements and remakes to this map, adding minerals, gas, making it 4v4 etc. This map must have been good and must have brought enjoyment to a lot of people to have been so heavily altered, cause no one will have altered or redone a really bad map so many times.The plotline has also been a personal favourite of mine.Kerrigan?s mutationThe Hybrid?s *gasp*Nearly everybody?s deathsThe UEDThere was just something there for meThat just made me love the plotline. I wasn?t a very avid fan of the missions, sure there were a few that caught my interest, but somehow the plotline really got to me, it was fun to use that hero and do so and so, and see what is going to happen. :)Brood war was damn wicked as well for me, that is what truly I think, balanced out the game and made that game truly awesome. With the additions of lurkers, medics and valkyries, which balanced the game out for terrans, and the addition of the corsair to help out Protoss?s poor air to ground attack. The plotline also developed very very well there in the expansion, leaving so many unanswered questions that have also kept its own little fan group. This game with its balanced races, custom maps, infinite number of strategies and a sprinkling of a little bit of humour (ever double clicked that marine more than once? :D)Starcraft is a game worth of having such a large fanbase.But that?s what I think, maybe you can elaborate, wanna discuss something about it, go ahead, I like to hear your views, and not just mine

I heard rumors a few years back that SC2 was going to come out but I thought nah I wont dare try make part 2. If it turns out crap that would be a diasater. SC was probably the best RTS at its time, nothing else came close to it. This coming from a hardcore gamer lol. Damn part 2 will be sick, I doubt blizzard will mess up with this now they have more experience now in making great games so dont expect anything but the best.What i liked about SC was it was fast paced action right from the start and there was so many ways to play that people starting writing build orders for specific strategies. Each race had specific strengths and weaknesses but the way you played the game determined if you win or lose. The game had a pretty advanced upgrade system for back in its time. Armor upgrades, weapons, abilities etc... theres too many to list if you havent played this game you dont know what your missing out on. BEST GAME EVER

BEST GAME EVER

*applauds*
Yea i loved the prospect of SC2, it kept me surfing the web for like 3 years, and when i heard the rumours and everything i was at the IGn website refereshing this one web page this guy kept updating using wireless internet at the convention to see if it came out. When i heard the news i preceeded to run around my street screaming, no joke, there are other Starcraft players on my street :)
But it would be a tragedy if it couldnt live up to its name, cause its got some pretty damn big shoes to fill, cause creating a game so advanced and great for its time is pretty hard. Cause Starcraft was like a huge new thing for its time, but like you said sonesay, they have had quite a experience so they should pull this off pretty darn nicely, but this experience is what kinda scares me. I hope to god that it isn't going to be like WoW and have the whole pay to play option for online play, cause battlenet is was really players find the most enjoyment in (or maybe its just me, i don't know). I just really hope that SC2 has one really big, but hidden, thing thats gonna make it totally awesome
Starcraft has such a large range of strategies and the fast paced action is awesome, i completely agree with you, i can't believe i forgot that. :S

Starcraft is one of the best strategies there is. Blizzard has once more proved that they are maybe the only ones who can make game that will be played long time after it's relise. Even 10 years after, starcraft is played like in the time when it was published, and that states for something huge.

I only recently began to play starcraft, and I have to say I was disappointed in it. I had expected a lot more. I've heard about it for years from my friends who game and have only ever heard brilliant things about it, however, when I finally went out and bought the game I was more than a little disappointed. I love the plot and the ideas behind it however, and really do see why it is so popular, it reminds me slightly of Diablo or the original civilization when it comes to just how well its done. I think the main reason I was disappointed in the game is because I've grown so accustom to todays video and computer games where the graphics are high detail, and the controls are created to be as user-friendly as possible. Though I think I'm just searching for a reason for an unexplained disappointment as I greatly enjoy games like the Warcraft series, Ceaser 2, Civilization I-IV, Shark Shark (Yeah... I've played it for 8 hours straight *long story*), and DragonQuest I-III (I won't play the later versions of DQ >.<)I am looking forward to playing Starcraft 2 when it comes out. I mean seriously, with the amount of time they've put into this game, it has to be freaking awesome right?.../end

I am looking forward to playing Starcraft 2 when it comes out. I mean seriously, with the amount of time they've put into this game, it has to be freaking awesome right?...
/end

Just because somethings been under the knife for so long doesn't mean it's going to be amazing. Then again it's starcraft, and blizzard, so right there you've got 3 kinds of awesome. If you're confused, yes, 3. That's how awesome it is.

I love Starcraft, It was the first game I ever played on the first computer I ever had. So if I do my math right, I've been playing for..8ish years now? It's been out since 1993, and it's still going strong. So many people play the game and will continue to play that game. Once Starcraft2 comes out that'll be the new super title. I think lots of people will leave WoW and Starcraft to move to Starcraft 2.

Personally, I can't say I've played Starcraft, but it looks really cool, and I do like Real Time Strategy (RTS) Games. I've had a lot of fun with games like Command & Conquer: Generals, Red Alert, and Spring, so I'd definitely like to give this a try! It's got online play, right? And will it work on Windows Vista? :lol:

Starcraft remains the one of the most balanced RTS's out there to date. The three races were so different in aspects (Zerg using larva instead of the typical queueing), and yet, the races were so balanced.The outcome of the games were more likely determined by setting of the map and luck, rather than the game balance between the three races. There were strategies you could use, some more effective against some races while another strategy was needed for another situation. In an even situation however, there were opening you could take advantage of and openings you could effectively defend against if you were skilled enough.Skill is a very important factor in playing, and because of that, new players on the online service Battle.net tend to be swamped very easily by more skilled players.EDIT: Absolute_Zer0: It does have online play, but it MUST be a legit copy of the game (CD key only required for the original Starcraft, not the Expansion Set Brood War or the Starcraft Spawn). There have been problems about Vista and its compatibility issues with Starcraft but there was a fix avaliable for it.

Edited by HyBriD54 (see edit history)

Long live starcraft!! As I was checking this post I just realized that starcraft is over a decade old now and is still one of the best rts games. I thought warcraft 3 was going to take all of its players away but that was not the case, I guess it just wasnt as good as Starcraft. Another advantage that starcraft has is that a whole bunch of computers can run the game with no problems, and for warcraft3 you need an average computer or you will suffer in huge battles because of computer lag.

Long live starcraft!! As I was checking this post I just realized that starcraft is over a decade old now and is still one of the best rts games. I thought warcraft 3 was going to take all of its players away but that was not the case, I guess it just wasnt as good as Starcraft. Another advantage that starcraft has is that a whole bunch of computers can run the game with no problems, and for warcraft3 you need an average computer or you will suffer in huge battles because of computer lag.

In actuality, I think Blizzard did an amazing job when it came to supporting as many players as they could, as most of their games had Mac support as well as Windows. For the time when Warcraft III got released, lower end computers were able to support it quite easily unlike some extremely graphic intensive games. I checked the Starcraft Box I bought a long time ago and it said:

System Requirements (Windows 95/98/2000/ME/XP/NT 4.0):Pentium 90 or equivalent16 MB RAM80 MB available hard drive space2X CD-ROM drive for game play (4X for cinematics)Local bus SVGA video card (Direct-X compatible)Microsoft-compatible mouseDirectX-compatible sound card for audioMultiplayer Options:2 Players: 14.4 kbps modem or null modem cable2-8 Players: IPX Network or Battle.net (requires low-latency Internet connection with support for 32-bit applications)System Requirements (Power Macintosh)Mac OS 7.6 or higher Power PC16MB RAM (32MB RAM for Multiplayer)80MB available hard drive space2X CD-ROM drive for gameplay (4X for cinematics)Monitor support for 256 colors at 640 X 480 resolution2 Players: 14.4 kbps modem or null modem cable2-8 Players: AppleTalk Network, IPX Network or Battle.net (requires low-latency Internet connection with support for 32-bit applications)

No wonder so many people can play it ^_^ .

StarCraft is the 2nd best RTS of all time. StarCraft's single player campaign is the best single player campaign to this day. Along with Brood War it tells a story better then 99.9% of the movies and TV shows recently created.And balance between the races is almost perfect which is single most important factor when it comes to multi-player experience. In short it's as close to perfection as possible

I absolutely love StarCraft. I love it to the point that I still play with my friends even though I have quit like 5 or 6 times. Playing online almost never gets boring with the variety of options.Your first option is a regular melee game. Blizzard has made this game as balanced as a game can get between the three races(Except for tanks. Screw tanks). With each race you have your advantages and disadvantages. Zerg can build mass amounts of cheap units, Protoss has strong, expensive units. Terran has tanks. Individual units of each race can countered, some are easier, others are harder(tanks), dragoons are owned by zerglings, mutalisks are raped by corsairs. And what makes StarCraft so great is that it's so hard to get good. You have to think fast, react fast, micro your units well, out flank your opponent, scout to see what he's making so you can counter in time, all at the same time as keeping up unit production, making peons, and expanding. In short, micromanagement and macromanament at the same time is hard. And watching NaDa or Boxer do all of this is just great.Then, if you're not feeling hardcore enough to play melee, you can just chill and play some UMS. Play some Weed D, or some classic Evolves. Maybe if you're feeling it, some Nuke the Whales. And of course, you have to try Strip Hermione. :)Oh yeah there's also a Campaign, but I didn't really like that(single player isn't my thing).All in all, Starcraft is awesome. Go play it.

It just goes to show that games don't have to be too graphic intensive to be considered great by gamers. Game developers should keep this in mind and focus in making their games more immersive. That's what Starcraft has, great gameplay to a point that it gets its players get so immersed in the game. It's also very easy to learn how to play the game, but it takes a lot of time to learn strategies,techniques and to develop skills. Tactics such as build orders should be learned and you should keep in mind the right way of thinking to defeat your enemy. Anyway, this is a great game and you guys that haven't tried this out should. :lol: