xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sonesay

Wanted: Resources For Gaming Development

I'm interested in using python. But I'm having the hardest of times getting python to include pygame. I've downloaded stuff on the site, ran setup.py. Just, nothing seems to be working! I even tried getting into their IRC and that gave me problems!!! GAR! This is frustrating.

I would vote Basic as the easiest language to start with, followed by C++. I actually see many similarities between the programs, because honestly the hardest part is learning their syntax...Like remembering that if you block off code you must call on it, what parts you need to call, etc.

Actually, learning basic first for someone who is not naturally inclined to programming could be a fatal (in terms of your programming career) mistake. The syntax of BASIC is very much different from the syntax of C++ because C++ is object oriented and BASIC was not originally. BASIC's latest generation versions have object oriented features, however the syntax is very much different than that of other languages. In addition, BASIC encourages the use of some control structures that are either disallowed or are bad conventions in other languages. If you learn BASIC before you learn something like C++ or Ruby or Java then you may learn some bad habits that you can't break.

I agree that BASIC is not a good idea. A good start might be Visual Basic 2008. It a lot of cut and paste but also lets you look at the code. I think its the Dreamweaver of Windows apllications. Then make the hop over to C++ or C#

I agree that BASIC is not a good idea. A good start might be Visual Basic 2008. It a lot of cut and paste but also lets you look at the code. I think its the Dreamweaver of Windows apllications. Then make the hop over to C++ or C#

Nah, Visual Basic is a bad first language. The Syntax is so much different from any other language that it can make it hard to learn other languages later. I'd recommend starting with Ruby or Python, since they have syntax similar to C/C++ but are easier to work with. I always feel that learning proper OOP first is most important.

java oop is way more better. and u can use existing game engine like jmonkey(note:use opengl, can make 3d) u can use blender too for model dev.note: all software dev are free :lol:edit: btw blender have game engine too(using python script);

Edited by eurobeat (see edit history)

java oop is way more better. and u can use existing game engine like jmonkey(note:use opengl, can make 3d) u can use blender too for model dev.

note: all software dev are free :lol:

edit: btw blender have game engine too(using python script);

C++ FTW :D Just kidding, jMonkey is good, but my beloved OGRE is better ;)