xisto Community
delivi

What Is Freenet?

While that sounds like a good idea, I don't really like it all too much. I prefer to think of the internet as all of these pages that people have made, not as a bunch of people exchanging files just for no good reason. We already have those, and people already exchange illegal material on such things. No matter what is done to the future of the internet, It won't be changed past this. The government of any country, especially the United States can't try something like monitoring the internet, it would make too many people mad, at least, I hope it would. I guess the best thing to do is not to try and predict the bad future, but to try and prevent it.

I don't really comprehend how this will work. Okay, so you are able to "hide" a website over many PC's, so it cannot be shut down. But how is this an encryption? Any data sent from or to your PC can be deciphered by your ISP, or anyone else who has access to their databases. Therefore, although the *site* can not be taken down, you could still be arrested for illegal actions.I can obviously see where the whole idea is coming from, but the reality is that it will never be as "secure" as they wish for it to be. Keep in mind that hackers are always one step ahead, regardless as to who you are or how much you think you know.Either way, thanks for the link. I've never heard of the project before, and I will also be keeping up with it to see how it goes!

monitoring the whole internet, humanly impossible but that is no problem for a supercomputer (or even a regular computer) with the correct algorithm...it would need to operate like the ban word list on forums, where it flags certain words...now this is not perfect but it could narrow down the information that people would have to sift through. I am pretty sure that there is already someone doing this. If not at the government level it is done at the level of the individual running the site. Most forum type sites log ips that come through, I have seen some that require you to have the same IP as what you registered with. In short the internet is about as private as downtown new york, if you wouldn't view/post/host something there then it is a really bad idea to do it on the web. Is this good? well monitoring helps to stop illegal activity, the real question then is do we really have the right to do anything we want? depending on what you think about that it would determine if you thought that the freenet was good or not.

@xenadorYou brought up the fact that it could be used for illegal activity. What law/rule isn't being broken this very second? Every one is. But that's really irrelevant. Some of us just want the freedom from privacy issues because there is no reason for others to know everything we do 100% of the time.I still don't believe that this system(Freenet) will ever become more than just a concept program though. It would not play out the way they want it, although it may work as an "internet" system.

Isn't it a breeding ground for terrorists? Sounds problematic and dangerous to me. I can just imagine terrorists exchanging data with it. Kaboom.

It is really going to be dangerous but everything in this world has its own pros and cons so a free sharing network is also a worthier thing to get for the people who enjoy this type of things

About the terrorists mark...Uh...We have domestic terrorists that you wouldn't even recognize when walking down the street. Timothy McVeigh was a terrorist, for example.To even bring terrorists into the "Freenet" discussion is ignorance. You can't possibly get rid of all of them. And they have nothing to do with Freenet.Some of us just don't feel that it is the government's business what we are doing.Why is it that we say "Hi guys. You can see everything I do in my life. Hope you have fun!" yet we can't even see what *they* are doing?The door is only opening one way, and not both. If they have access to all of our information, we should have complete access to all of their information as well. Otherwise, the system is corrupt.So in terms of if they could honestly get this "Freenet" up and "anonymous," I would definitely take part in it.