xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
OpaQue

How To Save Yourself From A Rape Situation? Precautions, Self Defense, Safety Guide

I think these are really great tips that will definitely make a huge difference in the lives of some people, if this were to ever happen to them.There's just one thing I wanted to comment on. I'm a full-time student studying social work in Canada, and naturally, I have courses in which I learn counselling skills. Right now I'm in my last semester, but last term, the professor for one of my counselling courses often shared stories from her career before she began teaching. She worked for her entire life as a crisis counsellor, specifically helping survivors or sexual assault. At one point, she had moved down to New York, USA, to help with the crisis following 9/11, but she also worked at a sexual assault and rape crisis centre there, at which women who were survivors of domestic violence could also seek refuge.One morning she was telling us a story of one of her co-workers. Anyone who's been to a women's crisis centre knows how secure they are. You need pass codes to get through goodness knows how many doors, and they're typically in areas that are safer and harder to locate. Well, this one co-worker was on her way to work one morning, and she was followed in by a man (don't know how), stepped into the elevator, and inside the elevator, the man raped her, beat her with a crowbar and then also raped her with the crowbar. Which is why I kind of did a double take when I saw that staircases are safer than elevators. I wholeheartedly believe that, in general, they probably are safer, but danger can happen anywhere, even in elevators. Not to mention that if you're cornered in an elevator, you've got nowhere to go until that door opens again. Still really great tips, but caution precedes any sort of self-defense mechanism -- always be aware of your surroundings.Anyways, I was looking for stuff like this because I'm veering away from social work and studying criminology next year (or criminal profiling). Plus, being a female, the tips regarding rape situations (I find) are vital and really informative. And considering the amount of muggings I read about occurring in the surrounding cities where I live, these tips are great for males, too. Most of the people being mugged around here are males, so there's value for everyone here.Thanks for sharing!

I think these are really great tips that will definitely make a huge difference in the lives of some people, if this were to ever happen to them.There's just one thing I wanted to comment on. I'm a full-time student studying social work in Canada, and naturally, I have courses in which I learn counselling skills. Right now I'm in my last semester, but last term, the professor for one of my counselling courses often shared stories from her career before she began teaching. She worked for her entire life as a crisis counsellor, specifically helping survivors of sexual assault. At one point, she had moved down to New York, USA, to help with the crisis following 9/11, but she also worked at a sexual assault and rape crisis centre there, at which women who were survivors of domestic violence could also seek refuge.One morning she was telling us a story of one of her co-workers. Anyone who's been to a women's crisis centre knows how secure they are. You need pass codes to get through goodness knows how many doors, and they're typically in areas that are safer and harder to locate. Well, this one co-worker was on her way to work one morning, and she was followed in by a man (don't know how), stepped into the elevator, and inside the elevator, the man raped her, beat her with a crowbar and then also raped her with the crowbar. Which is why I kind of did a double take when I saw that staircases are safer than elevators. I wholeheartedly believe that, in general, they probably are safer, but danger can happen anywhere, even in elevators. Not to mention that if you're cornered in an elevator, you've got nowhere to go until that door opens again. Still really great tips, but caution precedes any sort of self-defense mechanism -- always be aware of your surroundings.Anyways, I was looking for stuff like this because I'm veering away from social work and studying criminology next year (or criminal profiling). Plus, being a female, the tips regarding rape situations (I find) are vital and really informative. And considering the amount of muggings I read about occurring in the surrounding cities where I live, these tips are great for males, too. Most of the people being mugged around here are males, so there's value for everyone here.Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Elle (see edit history)