xisto Community
Atthack

The Orange Box

So I pre-purchased The Orange Box a few weeks ago, and I MUST SAY; Best buy of the year !

In the pack / "Box" you get:

Half Life 2

Half Life 2: Episode One

Half Life 2: Episode Two

Portal

Team Fortress 2

If you have HL2 and HL2:EP1 from before, You get these as "gifts" and can GIVE these games to any friend you want (it's one time only though, don't waste it on someone you don't like ;D).

Posted Image

Team Fortress 2

I must say this game is the most valuable one in the pack.

The game itself is so close to perfect it's surprising! The classes are all very well balanced so it never gets boring being the "medic", and never too hyped up being "Heavy", storming the enemies.

10/10 (For being insanely AWESOME!)

Posted Image

Portal

It's quite interesting indeed, an FPSP (First Person Shooter 'Puzzler') as I like to call it.

As TF2, this has been quite updated with the source engine, looks really great and sleek. The Motion-Blur effects (when moving fast etc) are in this game aswell as the other ones - Kickass!

8/10 (For short game-play time)

Posted Image

Half Life 2: Episode Two

Awesome!

The story is catching, as it's always been. This time you got more freedom, and more exterior action than on EP1.

You even get to drive a frickin' sweet car (haha my fav part :P) and battle deep inside murky undergrounds.

The graphics are updated and certainly took a lot of my graphics card - HL2: 100FPS avg - HL2EP2: 30-40FPS avg B) A noticeable fall because of the new graphics.

There's nothing more to say than that it's a 'Must Try!'

9/10 (Great - Just Great! But 10 is for perfect - And so far TF2 is the only perfect one.)

-------------------------

So overall - BUY IT NOW!

I got NOTHING ELSE TO SAY - GET IT WHILE IT'S HOT!

Please post YOUR comments and reviews about The Orange Box, and preferrably its games. B)

-Atthack

Edited by Atthack (see edit history)

I didn't get the orange box, mainly because my computer isn't good enough to play the games just yet; however, I have seen the trailer for portal after being told about it by 3 different people in one day (kind of figured it was time to check it out). The trailer looks amazing and I can't wait until I can play it. I heard there will be a map editor for portal to prolong gameplay, but i haven't heard too much about it. As for the half-life episode 2, I can only imagine that it will be as good as the rest of the half-life series (insanely awesome), but again, I don't plan on getting that any time soon.

I have the orange box. Team Fortress is an awesome game. Portal is an awesome game but it could have been longer. The puzzle can be very challenging. I havent played Hl2 E2 yet but it looks pretty neat. Sometimes the puzzles in that are ridiculous and that takes away some fo the fun an thats why i have been kind of avoiding it. Anyways, if you like these types of games, I highly suggest the orange box.

Yeah, orange box looks good. I might be getting it, alot of my friends have plenty to say about orange box and how much fun they have.I think your missing a game of it, there is another game. Which isn't a great, or eeven good game. You get the trial or something for it.

Thanks for posting your opinions!Yeah I agree Portal is really hard sometimes, I still haven't completed it but much of my friends have , and they don't like the short "campaign".Still - I heard about the map editor - This only expands it!And even TF2 has a map editor - great - because TF2 is my favourite game ever lol. It just never gets boring! And "team-play" is a big element in it, so bring on the good stuff people! I'm ready to kick your *bottom* ;D

I love the games from Valve, i own HalfLife, HalfLife 2, HalfLife 2 : Ep 1 and Halflife 2 : Lost Coast ( Free for HL2 Owners).I'm currently playing HL2 EP1, I didnt get the Orange box or HL2 : EP2 because my system doesnt have enough power to enjoy its splendour. Once I upgrade my PC, I'll get the Orange Box or but HL2: EP2 and HL2 : EP3 when it is released together. :P

I love the games from Valve, i own HalfLife, HalfLife 2, HalfLife 2 : Ep 1 and Halflife 2 : Lost Coast ( Free for HL2 Owners).
I'm currently playing HL2 EP1, I didnt get the Orange box or HL2 : EP2 because my system doesnt have enough power to enjoy its splendour. Once I upgrade my PC, I'll get the Orange Box or but HL2: EP2 and HL2 : EP3 when it is released together. :P

Yeah if they keep it this way people who didn't play the last episode can get the latest and last to catch up, a good idea.
Still - The problem is Valve doesn't release new "Episodes" OFTEN enough I feel. It's episodic, but they should release episodes a lot more frequent to keep up interest in the episode series.

:]

This is definately a must-get for anyone who has the system to take it. I've heard Portal is simply wonderful with the exception of short game time - there is not a negative thing I've heard of it other than the game time. Of course, Half Life 2: Episode 2 is also there. There's plenty there to keep you entertained, and I must say that Valve has done it again (there isn't a game I don't like from them, except for Half-Life: Source, which was a real bummer for me because I thought that it would include updated graphics and the such. Well, I guess I'll just wait for Black Mesa to come out. It looks really promising.).

Edited by Tetraca (see edit history)

I had looked at the orange box, but it didn't seem worth it to me, I know its an amazing deal, but for the people who already have half-life and team fortress it isn't the greatest deal, but all of the value products are very well designed and made.--Mistik

The orange box is probably the best deal on any game you'll ever get, unless you steal it i guess, but legitimately this is the best offer you can ever hope to get. It's over $100 w/o the box as buying separately. I played through HL2:Ep2 the first night I got it and i was incredibly amazed, great lighting, improved graphics, not overusing the shine effect like so many games do now, it was just incredibly awesome and the storyline was just wow. The final battle was the best i've yet to see in any game, and my favorite of course is the interactions with npcs and how things respond. TF2 while i sadly don't get much time to play it, is hands down the best online fps out there and it's incredibly beautiful to look at, i'm glad i have a good rig for it just so I can play them all on max settings without lag, TF2 isn't anything like TFC it's an entirely new game, it feels clean and perfectly executed and all classes are a joy to play like the OP said, I've never gotten the feeling i should be this class to kill everybody like i did in TFC. It's more like "this situation calls for this class" and so you go for that class, and spy is infinitely more fun I get the extreme joy of watching my wife (who is far better than me) play spy and shank multiple people in the back, there's just no more fun or joy than seeing her shanking 6 people on the other team and they have no idea how that happened, then to go see her repeat that very same task time and time again. Hands down the orange box is the best, portal is awesome while a lil short it's a great tie in with the hl2 universe and it's incredibly funny in my opinion.

Have ordered the box.. yet to get one.
Waiting to play Team Fortress2.

The reviews make me mad...
But i am spending most of my time in online games nowadays.... these are small but very addictive games.

Here are some addictive flash games online....
1. Budapest Defenders
2. Puzzle Game
3. Shuffle Balls

If you are still addicted to the old games that we played when we were kids.... you have not missed them really...'You still have places where you can get them..... nowhere but here at nintendo.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Now that I have a bit more time to talk about the orange box I'd strongly urge anybody who played half life 2 to go out and get this, for 50 mere dollars (less than the price of most new console games) you get Half Life 2, Half Life 2 Episode One, Portal, Team Fortress 2 and Half Life 2 Episode 2.If you own one of the previous games you get a 'gift' if you order on steam where you can sell or give it to a friend if you want so that they can play the game for free. It is truly a shift in what I feel and think game designs will be in the future and is definitely a welcomed change in my opinion. Portal while short has immense replay value because after you beat it, you not only get a glimpse of Episode 3 (the person from portal will be in episode 3 and will interact with gordon), but you also get to replay levels with varying difficulty and i'm sure later on people will make some amazing maps for others to play, which will definitely enhance the experience. It's the first game that was a mix of first person physic puzzles, comedy, and fps-ishness. I preordered it and saved 5$ which i'm very glad I did, and I also got to play TF2. If you've ever played TFC (i'm sure many of us have) and you hated when you spawned immediately because that same guy who would spam grenades at the spawn point was sitting there lobbing grenade after grenade, and if you killed him, he'd come right back anyways and there'd be no delay, and usually your team stalemated with the other because they couldn't get past a certain chokepoint because each team insta-respawned after death making the number on each side hardly decrease for any meaningful amount of time. At the same time if you hated how Counter-Strike put you in the death zone until the next round started and you felt you learned from your mistake but couldn't actually get to play again until the round started but by then you couldn't really learn from your mistake because everything was now different and new from a new round, you'll love the perfect balance Team Fortress 2 gives. The average respawn depending on server is around 12s, some have instant spawns for high competition high octane matches which in it's own right is highly fun, but at the same time that's not the norm in the least, and even though it's not been out long at all, there are several valve test servers which have new maps created by themselves that they're testing, and new maps from players are popping up all over the place, people are just having a field day with this game and the new editors. Saying the game is beautiful graphically would be an understatement, and even though I don't get any lag at the highest settings, I've seen the game on the lowest, and it still looks incredibly good compared to TFC, of course you lose a hell of a lot of the beautiful things, but at the same time at least you can play the game and experience the true beauty of the game - the gameplay. Each class is perfectly balanced, of course some classes are stronger in certain areas but they all have their unique advantages and not one class can get over each other's advantage entirely.A few major notes first about Team Fortress 2 that they changed though should be mentioned. First I know it's minimal but the start screen is really cool and much more Team Fortress 2 looking, with a chalkboard that whatever server mod can write aboutt he maps they have etc on there, and for official maps there's an option to watch a video on the map to learn about it and what you should do. You're allowed to pick a team by choosing the Blu door or the Red door, and Blu isn't a typo by the way. Then you get to *see* each of the classes and see them move a bit and they're all categorized into various categories of offense, support, defense so people know what job is where and so they can better help their team. Also in the lower right hand corner you'll see the jobs your team has currently so you can better choose, see no medics but a lot of heavies? Pick a medic to help your team achieve victory and keep those hard hitting big lugs alive. See no scouts but a ton of strong offensives, yet your team never seems to have the gusto and speed to grab the intelligence (which has replaced the 'flag' in this game, much better imo, it also leaves a trail of shimmering papers when you have it which makes it easier to track people, especially faster ones who move out of sight fast) and bring it back to your base for some points. Grenades, something I really hated in team fortress classic are abolished in team fortress 2 thankfully, you'll never see one of those heavy grenades lobbed at you, and then see those annoying red balls pop out and explode killing you, nor will you see the hallucinating grenade of a spy, or the nail grenade of soldier, they're all gone, nobody can throw grenades anymore, the only explosions you'll get are from Demos and Soldiers. And the last major adjustment, nobody has armor, it's all an HP value that you can only get augmented by a medic up to 50% over your total HP, as long as the medic is healing you, you will stay at 150% which is a big boost to the huge HP of a heavy, and it also helps even if you charge somebody up, they can run away still having their high hp even though it falls over time it's good to charge an ally up rushing into combat to help them sustain a few extra hits.The classes are much better balanced and much different really, each class has 3 weapons no more, no less. They have their speciality weapon, Soldier's get a rocket launcher, demo's get a grenade lobber, medics get their healing gun (looks like a ghost buster's thing imo), scouts get a lever action double barreled shotgun, engineers get a shotgun, heavies get a gatling gun, sniper's get their sniper rifle, and pyro's get their flamethrower, and they all have a secondary weapon which is usually some type of gun, most of the classes get a simple shotgun with the exception of the medic, the demo, the scout, the sniper, and the engineer. The medic gets a modified version of the old nail gun, into a really cool looking hypodermic needle launcher that fires rounds very fast, but they don't go very long distances and fall so you have to aim accordingly, demo's get another grenade launcher that launches sticky grenades that can explode whenever they press the alt fire key, so you can defend or set up a trap or just cause the grenade to explode whenever you want it to, you can fire up to 8 at once to be used over that number they start replacing the older ones by making the older ones explode. The scout gets a pistol that is much more accurate over long distances, but not nearly as deadly as their shotgun up close, sniper's get an automatic version of their rifle for dealing with closer foes, and the engineer gets his trusty PDA in which he can construct teleporters, dispensers, and sentry guns. The classes are also much more balanced, for example, the heavy can deal much damage up close, but far away his shots are inaccurate and much of his ammo will be wasted trying to hurt you, this gives somebody like a sniper a prime target to hit in the head and easily kill. In the same right though a scout can move up behind a sniper and shoot him easily a fwe times while they can't see and kill them before they have a chance to do anything, while a pyro just needs a few short seconds to incinerate a scout, and a soldier only needs to fire a few rockets to dismember a pyro, an engineer can setup a sentry to take down most players, and their shotgun is lethal more than the others as well. a demo man can bomb the sentry, while a spy can come up behind and shank whoever they wish in the back killing them instantly, spy's are probably the most changed imo because they can be seen as what job they are on your team so you're not thinking they're another team, and at the samet ime they can disguise themselves to look like another teammate, they take on their name and everything, it's a random name of course, because sometimes i've seen my wife's name (who plays next to me) somewhere where she isn't and i know it's a spy, or sometimes very rarely i've seen my name and it was too late to do anything about it because it was more of a shock than a realization. They can also invisble themselves for a short amount of time allowing them to sneak past the battle and ontot he enemies side so it doesn't look like a red teammember is among the blue not getting shot at or anything. Also it's very easy to trust your teammates without knowing that your teammate really plans on shanking you the moment you give an opportunity, the problem is once you shank you must have an escape plan because your disguise is taken off. Spy's can also plant sappers which drain a sentry's HP and kill it, they can do this while staying cloaked though, it's a good idea to fake being an engineer and dot his as few will suspect you, obvious some classes you don't wanna fake, like a medic because you can't use the healer gun and will be found immediately. As I was saying though it's a very complex and balanced game much more than I would have ever hoped for, with Crysis coming out soon and my previous love of FFXI and the new expansion between these three games there will be no way i'll ever be bored again. One additional tidbit from Valve, is that they're thinking of creating another class later on, which if they do, adding onto the constant maps being created that are incredibly good, and beautiful looking, this game has significant replay value even on the same maps, just change the job you are and all of a sudden you're playing an entirely different game, very fun and I give it a perfect score, I am very glad they delayed almost a full year because it was WELL worth it, if i can i'll try to write some more about the other jobs, I just wanted to give a brief insight to the jobs that I found most different and interesting, I didn't even get to mention the uber charge ability of a medic, or the sniper rifle's charging shot that can insta-kill people, nor the critcal hits which make the game so much more dynamic.

Wow great, just great explained here reith, and yes - I must agree in just about every term / point you made.

The graphics are sweet - I remember before i built my new rig I had a under-class computer, it was slow, 1GB of RAM, 2.2GHz Processor (no "Dual-Core" here hehe) and an ATI Radeon X1600 - Now the name is "wow", the card is "oww" :P Couldn't run the game stable, even at all on low (which is when i could test the lowest graphics, and NO AA etc) it still looked amazingly good for being so reduced!

Now my new rig (ok perhaps mention the specs?):

Windows XP Professional SP2

2GB RAM

Intel Duo 2.0 Ghz (That's 2.0ghz X 2)

XFX GeForce 8600GT (256MB Clock Memory)

^ With this rig you can run TF2 at max without any lag - Of course this isn't "TRUE" nor "FALSE", as any combination might work, but atleast the game doesn't crash out every 5 minute for me anymore. (Perhaps it was the "beta" too.. when I tested on my old PC.)

The game has those "Oh LA LA" effects (hehe try for yourself, experience the thrill!) and a non-stop-'perfectionized' gameplay.

It just never gets boring!

But ok I've said enough for now, let someone else come with their opinion x]

:]