xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FLaKes

Computer Screw Wont Come Out =( Help me get this screw out please

Hello Xisto Friends, I am posting this because I need help to get a computer screw unscrewed, the problem is that I sort of forced it a while back and it is sort of deformed. I am able to get all the other screws out except this particular screw. I need to get it out so that I can check the thermal paste on my processor and to clean the heatsink. I might even swap out the processor soon, so before I buy a new processor for it, I need to be able to get that screw unscrewed. Does anyone here have any tricks or ideas?Thanks.. :P

Is this screw used for holding down the motherboard? Is this screw used for holding down the CPU fan... or something as the case screw? I wish your original post would have been more descriptive.Sears, if you are a US resident, or any other hardware store sells drill bits knowns as extractor or damaged screw remover. I purchased mine for about $10. There's no fancy need for higher priced ones as $50.The trick is to use this bit to bite down on the head of damaged screw, and turn counterclock wise. You have to apply push force otherwise the bit will not bite down to the head.This is where some detailed information comes handy. Can you apply such force to the screw? Is it in the sensitive area where a damaged thread could mean damage to something else? Is the screw you're trying to extract big enough for these extractors (they don't come super small)?

Hi BuffaloHelp, thanks for the quick reply. Sorry for not being descriptive with my post. You are right about me not describing what type of screw it is, well the screw is not in a sensitive area, it is some sort of plate that covers the heat sink and fans. Thanks for the damaged screw remover idea, I did not know such things existed. Im not a US resident but there is actually a Sears somewhere downtown, I guess I will go and buy one. I guess I could apply such force to the screw but I dont know if there will be an extractor for this type of screw, it is really small :S. When the screw comes out, do you think that another one could be put in its place? or will the screw socket also be damaged?Thankyou for this very useful information Buffalo :P

How about posting a image of the screw and its location that might help out just a bit more, as for removing the screw go with buff's idea and if you got steady heads and the right screw bit, apply just enough force to the screw for it to be remove. As for your second question depending on how long that screw has been in there, it might have warped the socket well enough that you would have to put in the screw the same way.

Hey guys, sorry for the slow update, but it took me a while to find some free time to be able to open up the laptop to take a picture of it, actually I was also waiting for a friend to give me back some screwdrivers that I let him borrow. So here are the pictures, as you can see the screw is pretty deformed, I remember really getting frustrated by it. post-7234-1193823906_thumb.jpgpost-7234-1193823940_thumb.jpgAnother friend gave me another interesting idea, he said that I could also use a small knife or something sharp to turn the screw into a flathead screw and use a flathead screwdriver to take it out, what do you guys think?Thanks again for your time and replies :rolleyes:

My advice would be to either try to drill out the screw or use a screw driver that is a bit larger than the head. This way, if the head being stripped is the issue, you can force the other screw driver into it and it will come out. Otherwise, just drill it out. Doing that is not that hard but you just need to be careful you dont drill too far and damage something. Therefore, drill slowly and you will be fine.

Since it is the fan casing that this screw is in and it don't seem to over anything I would get a power screwdriver that has a magnet bit to it and take it out that way. That way if you do it manually you don't have to worry about stripping that screw down, but make sure you do it slow on a slow settings so not to break anything. It possible to do the knife method but you will end up break or damage the knife tip.