xisto Community
soleimanian

How To Shutdown Your Windows Faster

How to shutdown your Windows faster

To faster shutdown Microsoft Windows XP do following

1- Click Start Menu > select Run and type "regedit" to run Windows registry editor.

2- Go to following address:

HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINES\SYSTEM\Currentcontrolset\control
3- Open Control and then right click on "waittokillservicetimeout"

4- Select modify and change 2000 to 1000.

5- Close Windows registry editor and restart your computer.

Note: Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Create a backup from your registry entries.

For those of you who don't know what this really does:This registry value is the amount of time in milliseconds that Windows will wait before forcibly killing any tasks that might be keeping Windows from shutting down (unclosed programs, etc.). The default value for this is actually 20000, not 2000.I don't see why you would want to modify this unless you really want a fast shutdown and restart. Most users will walk away from their computers after shutting their systems down. :)

For those of you who don't know what this really does:
This registry value is the amount of time in milliseconds that Windows will wait before forcibly killing any tasks that might be keeping Windows from shutting down (unclosed programs, etc.). The default value for this is actually 20000, not 2000.

I don't see why you would want to modify this unless you really want a fast shutdown and restart. Most users will walk away from their computers after shutting their systems down.

For someone like me whose computer is always on, if ever I am shutting down or restarting, it has to be because I am probably switching from one OS to another since I have 3 OSes (Xp Professional, Vista Ultimate and mandriva Linux but thinking of removing XP Professional and adding 2/3 more Linux OSes) installed on my laptop, I would really cherish anything which would make my system to shut down and restart in a JIFFY.

I just applied that registry hack in my Windows Vista and I had set the time to 500ms. I hope that aint too small. I would see what the response of vista would be to shut down. Let me see the result before also applying it to WinXP too.

Thanks Sueimanian

i'll sure try this one out! :P
my friends told me that playing with registry can hurt my windows computer? is that true, can i save registry somehow before changing something there?

Most users will walk away from their computers after shutting their systems down. B)

i sometimes walk away from computer, but few times some programs were still runing and windows refused to shut down, so when i got back to my room computer was still runing. is there a way around this?

I have special version of Windows XP and there is faster Shutting down pc priority.. When you install this OS it is automatically fast shutting down pc.. If you want it too just download Windows Xp Essential 2 .. really good Windows with many features :P Download and Enjoy it.. I like it and normal Windows XP is no longer priority at my pc B) But this tutorial is good but not for noobs which don't know about pc nothing

I understand how you would want to shave off seconds for quicker restarts when running multiple operating systems, but I personally just walk away to do something while I wait. :P For programs that hang... sometimes you might be trying to shut down and forgot to finish a task in a program, which would make it "unresponsive," hence the hang during the shutdown sequence. It also helps to manually close programs before shutting down Windows.Is it just me, or does Linux take quite a while to boot? (I run Kubuntu 7.04 on a 1.4GHz Pentium M with 1GB of RAM in an HP tc1100 tablet PC.)

For those of you who don't know what this really does:
This registry value is the amount of time in milliseconds that Windows will wait before forcibly killing any tasks that might be keeping Windows from shutting down (unclosed programs, etc.). The default value for this is actually 20000, not 2000.

I don't see why you would want to modify this unless you really want a fast shutdown and restart. Most users will walk away from their computers after shutting their systems down. :P

will some times when windows do some sing stupid like ejecting your cdrom while

you have programs still running your windows will not be shouted down
also some when some apps run at the background windows do the same

so you may need this

or

just
run->msconfig->startup->disableall
then apply
and restart
this will stop all the start up services
and you get your fast shutdown also

Yes i suppose that changing the timeout settings in the registry will shutdown your computer faster but could also cause some problems because your not allowing it enough time to close all the programs that need to be closed and complete its process. I dont recommend changing your registry settings, they make it embedded into the registry for a reason because it should be left alone at the default. I mean if your in a real hurry to shutdown windows then hold in your power button for a few seconds. I also dont recommend during that because it will bring up a windows failure screen everytime you start it back up but its definatley that one of the fastest ways to shut it down, besides unplugging it from the wall of course!

Um, I personally wouldn't advise your registry JUST to do something as unessential as this. If you edit the registry incorrectly you WILL majorly screw up your computer. Windows will probably never load properly, and chances are you will lose all your documents. The registry is what makes Windows run, it tells it everythign it needs to know, allows programs to run and is basically something you shouldn't edit for anything too unimportant, like this.

will some times when windows do some sing stupid like ejecting your cdrom while

you have programs still running your windows will not be shouted down

also some when some apps run at the background windows do the same

so you may need this

or

just

run->msconfig->startup->disableall

then apply

and restart

this will stop all the start up services

and you get your fast shutdown also

Some of those background programs and services are there for convenience. If you actually know what you're turning off, then that would be a slight help to starting up Windows AND shutting it down (since there are less resident background programs to close). Otherwise, there are some things that you really shouldn't turn off just because it's a pain in the bum to work without them. :P Not to mention you more paranoid people: antivirus software is included in this startup list.

If you REALLY want to be picky with it, you can turn off system services as well using services.msc. I don't recommend blindly turning them off... read the descriptions for them before choosing to disable them. There are a number of sites that explain more on what they do, but I'm sure you'll figure it out as well when you notice that certain things don't work the way they should. B)

Um, I personally wouldn't advise your registry JUST to do something as unessential as this. If you edit the registry incorrectly you WILL majorly screw up your computer. Windows will probably never load properly, and chances are you will lose all your documents. The registry is what makes Windows run, it tells it everythign it needs to know, allows programs to run and is basically something you shouldn't edit for anything too unimportant, like this.

Agreed. However, no one learns until they start messing up their computers. :P

Some painful experiences, some not so much, but in all honesty, that's how I learned what I know about computers... and all by tinkering. Just make sure you can afford to completely bunk Windows if you want to play with the registry... one wrong entry and Windows will not boot. (Back up EVERYTHING.) B)

Edited by rayzoredge (see edit history)

Good trick, and keeps it simple.I hate these "Download the XPShutDownUBERFASTLOL" stuff.REGEDIT = Simpler :]Thanks!And @ You others - Yeah it's annoying to shut down the computer, walk away and find out "oh!" there's a program which refuses to close so you'll have to click the "Close now" button YOURSELF...Just my 2 cents... If i had ;D