xisto Community
chelcy

Forum hosting

when I get my hosting i will be making my phpbb2 forum :ph34r: But dont worry admin it wont be popular so i wont use all your bandwidth. it will probably be the least popular forum in the history of forums but hopefully not... :angry::rolleyes:

Also, I make on my hosting one little forum, it is nicely, and his name is phpwebsite, I use scriptes in my control panel. Everything is so good, but one thing is big problem to me: on my adress (subdomain name) i have only control panel. I offer to start my first page, but I don't know how? So I have only forum, Is that enough? And where is my first page? Does anybody knows?

most of the time the success of the forum depends on what kind of community you are going to create. there are plento of fora coming out now, and most of them has gone to nothing because they have a very small number of members.One of the best ways to attrack members is adding mods. just like T17's Army System, it keeps us to return here not just because we are required but because we enjoy playing the army system. that's why I added an RPG at my forum.

If U have A look at invisionfree.com they are reliable with Uncapped bw and space HOSTES IPB for free

A friend has her forum hosting there and is great, she can edit the templates, manage subforums etc, and the ads are google ads and don't look bad in the forum.

NO ONE IN THIS WORLD! would offer anything for free. [ charity organisations are exceptions ]. Even this host, wants us to visit the forums, put good information ( for search engine ranking ) and also expects us to Click the banners for all his maintainace stuff and hosting expenses.FORUMS take a hell lot of BAndwidth and as the Admin stated he has purposely put it on diffrent servers. Well, there has to be a catch. Even though they give forum hosting, I bet they will put their ADS. I rather prefer creating my own. It hardly takes an hour or so. But atleast, you are assured that u have complete control. What if the company closes down suddenly. I have come to this host because he has already Got a diffrent Site altogether and FORUMs are only a part of it. TOO Less chances of this company shutting down.

i always search for cpanel hosting and use the fantastico system, works great, even for phpnuke or anything (i think it supports IPB, PHPBB, YABSE and another one) works good for me, you have full control over it, you can access the 'real files' if something is wrong you can just change the directory so noone can get in, you can make your own backups, and ofcourse: No ads at all! i tried to install a skin on a IPB forum, but was unable to, because it just didn't work, but going into the directory, i was able to put them in the right folder ;) it's just so much better to host it yourself, and if you odn't have fantastico, you can always use tutorials on how to install it (do a google search and you'll find alot of them ;))

Anyway,i'm interested in creating a forum myself..i read some article on these stuff but stil can't get into it..ca anyone have a short brief on it?i want to host it on a hosting server,using phpbb or other software..what are the requirements?

Ive tried loads of free forums in my time, the latest being forumotion, but that place has just got silly, the best free forum by far now is Jcink, they let you alter everything, css the scripts the lot,built in ipb arcade and a very good support team too. Ive had enough of free forums though and this is why i want to host my own now with backup of my post database and things so i dont lose my post again like i did with FM. ad free is a very big plus too, all these google spam ads now are terrible you see them everywhere even on forumotion these days which is whats so great about this place, No ads....Yayyyyyyyyy :)

It's true forums do take up alot of space and bandwidth :). But the trouble with free hosts is the lack of customization and control over the forum... they always limit some features. I still prefer hosting my own forum because of that, and I don't host a very large community like Xisto so my plans can usually handle the bandwidth use!