xisto Community
chelcy

Forum hosting

I think it's easier to use forum hostings than setting up your own because, well, setting up a forum is pretty hard. And at least you save some space B) So what do you guys use? I found Forumer (both Invision Power Board), and they seem to be pretty good. Any comments on those two? Or are there better ones? Or do you prefer to run it on your own?

NO ONE IN THIS WORLD! would offer anything for free. [ charity organisations are exceptions ]. Even this host, wants us to visit the forums, put good information ( for search engine ranking ) and also expects us to Click the banners for all his maintainace stuff and hosting expenses.FORUMS take a hell lot of BAndwidth and as the Admin stated he has purposely put it on diffrent servers. Well, there has to be a catch. Even though they give forum hosting, I bet they will put their ADS. I rather prefer creating my own. It hardly takes an hour or so. But atleast, you are assured that u have complete control. What if the company closes down suddenly. I have come to this host because he has already Got a diffrent Site altogether and FORUMs are only a part of it. TOO Less chances of this company shutting down.

So it is better setting it up on your own host, huh? It still might be easy though, because sometimes you can just click a link in the cPanel and phpBB or Invision Power Board will instantly install! :P

Thanks for the info...I probably won't go looking around for free forum hosting anymore then B)

Hmm..one click and thats all , its forum installation only ..building up a community is not an easy task , and its a time consuming job . We are here coz we want free webhosting :P ...if you want to host make a forum , then put smehting real interesting which can vring people in.. B)

It really depends on what type of forum. If you really have a big community, you better set up your own one cause it safer to have ocmplete control. If you're just having a small forum with your friends or penpals, you can just use free forum hosting. Forums do take up alot of space especially because of the signatures and avatars. Imposing a size limit would do your bandwidth a great help.

i need free webspace ~~

THIS IS CONSIDERED AS SPAM!
I PLACE THIS HERE FOR BOTH AN EXAMPLE AND WARNING TO ALL COMMUNITY MEMBERS NOT TO SPAM. SPAM IS sOMTHING THAT IS USELESS OR DOES NOT CONCERN THE TOPIC AT ALL.

I WILL PLACE WARNING MESSAGES TO FIRST TIMERS FOR THIS WEEK BUT AFTER THAT, I WILL DELETE THE POSTS, GIVE A NEGATIVE REPUTATION OR HAND THE CASE OVER TO ADMIN WHICH MAY RESULT IN A BAN.

POST IF YOU HAVE AN OPINION BUT KEEP THE COMMENTS LIKE 'LOL, OK, YEAH' OR OTHER SHORT PHRASES TO YOURSELF.

-Shackman

eesh, this is hard. originally, I looked into remote forum hosting, but then after I signed up at a couple places, there was a lot of things I didn't like--either downtimes, restrictions, ads, etc...it also didn't feel safe as the site could go downunder without notice.After struggling with this myself, setting one up isn't really as hard as you think. Usually patience & the readme/installation guide is all you need...& if something goes wrong, head into the support forum.

I prefer setting up a forum in my own account...installing phpbb and ipb is very easy with hosts like Xisto coz they are pre-installed, you don't have to do almost anything...and you must make the categorys and threads everywhere...in your own forum you can add styes and languages and mod or whatever you want...you can edit everything, but those forum hostings give you only some things you can edit...and they put adds on your site...