xisto Community
petsecia

Visits From Google

Hi,I have a new website (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) and althought it is indexed by google I don't have a lot of visits from there. What is curious is that last week I had almost 100 visits/day by google search and now it's almost zero visits from google. I have done no change on my website. Is there any chance that I got a penalization? The only change on the site that I've made was put more google adsense ads (no more than 3 at each page). Any idea why It's happening?

Hi,

I have a new website (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) and althought it is indexed by google I don't have a lot of visits from there. What is curious is that last week I had almost 100 visits/day by google search and now it's almost zero visits from google. I have done no change on my website. Is there any chance that I got a penalization? The only change on the site that I've made was put more google adsense ads (no more than 3 at each page). Any idea why It's happening?

Well there could be any number of reasons. One possible reason could be your meta tags. It seems you do not have meta tags, which are very important to spiders. :) In the tags, there are specific instructions that tell the search engine how to index your site. One thing included in these tags is how often to visit your site. Without these tags, the spiders/bots do not know what to do on your site that well. I will provide you with a sample set of meta tags for your site, which only tells the bots/spiders to index this page and follow all links and revisit every day. B) You can generate your own set of meta tags using THIS LINK, or you can give me information on your site and I can generate some for you. :P

Also, meta tags are placed in the head of your site's HTML, of the main page. :D

Example:

<html><head><META NAME="description" CONTENT=""><META NAME="keywords" CONTENT=""><META NAME="robots" CONTENT="index,follow"><META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="1"></head></html>

If you want me to generate tags for you --

Site Description

Site Keywords: (Seperate with commas)

Optional Info

What should robots do? Index and follow all links, don't index this page and follow all links, index this page and don't follow and links or don't index this page but follow all links

Refresh this page after [certain #] seconds.

Copyright line

Category

Author

Generator

Language

Search engines should revisit this page after [certain #] days.

Hope this helps you get search engines back to your site! :D
Edited by kab012345 (see edit history)

Google can be your best friend.

<META NAME="robots" CONTENT="index,follow"><META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="1">

This robots tag tell the spiders/bots to index the page, the links on the page and to follow those links to their location, whether the location is on your site or another one doesn't matter.

The 'revisit' tag says to come back after 1 day. Ideally, you would have new content or links each day for them to review when you use this setting. If you don't have new content when they come back, they see that the tag is not valid and won't be back for awhile, so be accurate with the time you state, based on how often you intend to have new material for them to review.

Also, google "robots.txt" to see about using a file by that name to regulate the robots, too. Your account should have a robots.txt file which the good bots check first thing upon visiting your site. It tells them which files they can see and whether they are actually allowed to index or visit, etcetera. Most good bots obey those commands. The robots.txt file also tells them to stay out of the list of files you name which you do not want indexed. It might be a text file containing all of the log-in information for your site, for example, and you don't want that to be found on google. :)

You should have a robots.txt file in the account root and also in the root folder of each and every sub-domain you set up, or the robots will cause a 404 error if they can't find it.

I've never heard of the robot or revisit after meta tags (still very new to web design). What exactly do they do??

Meta tags are what search engines read to know what your page contains and if they are allowed to include your web page(s) in their search index.

Here is a guide that I made on another website I go on. I have modified it to sync with Xisto. I hope it helps! :P(Still Property of Me, kab012345; Unauthorized use not allowed without express written consent of me :D)

What is a Search Engine Spider? :)

By: kab012345

That may be the question you ask yourself when you see users online that say Yahoo! Slurp, MSN, and Google to name a few.

These are called Search Engine Spiders. Its what a search engine uses to get information from the part of the World Wide Web or Internet it indexes so it can rank a site in there search engine when people search for a specific search term(s). You can get your website indexed naturally (Its find a link to your website, which gives you a higher ranking the more sites your link is on) or you can pay to get listed through various search engine enhancement companies, or software available on the market.

Example: Google indexes Xisto often. You cannot really tell on these Forums if a spider/not is on, because they appear to us as Guests. If you search the IP of it, you can see if it is or not. When you search for Xisto, Free web hosting, No ad web hosting, or something like that, it will come up with the main Xisto website and all of the information their spiders just got from indexing Xisto. The search engine decides what it ranks you with all the other Free web hosting related sites, and sometimes useless, unless you use Operators like Boolean, etc. For example, Xisto is ranked 3 on Google for the search terms, "no ad hosting", and Xisto is ranked 3 on Google for the search terms, "free hosting, no ads".

Well as Keb said there can be numeros reasons for your problem and he probably solved it for you. However my only suggestion would be that you try to search trough this trrap 17 forums and you should find a lot of topics for SEO that stand sfor search engine optimization so SEO settings and how to get ranked higher on google.Good luck with your site.