xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Carson

Windows Explorer Crashes Consistantly [resolved] closes itself down after leaving on for a few minutes

This is a constant problem whenever I try sorting my files, suddenly Windows Explorer shuts itself down by calling in Dr. Watson. Then restarts and repeats again after awhile. It doesn't happen all the time, but the crash problem comes frequently and I have no idea how to diagnose the problem. Appreciate the help.If any of this should be of useful info, I'm still using Windows XP Pro Edition SP1 and using IE 6 (not intending to update this because of complaints i get from other people regarding SP 2 and IE 7. The same goes with Vista.)

Humm.. i agree with not having IE7 but i would recommend updating to SP2 as that might help the problem. Thats all i can really suggest but someone else might have more info. Try checking the net for the symptoms and a solution, and maybe a full virus scan just incase

I doubt Windows Explorer problems have anything to do with your browsers. I used to have the same Windows Explorer crashing issue, and I was using Windows XP. It doesn't crash as frequently as the way you describe, but there were particular folders which I would open and they would just crash. I did a complete virus scan with Spyware Doctor (licensed) and eventually I don' experience the crash half as much. It still occurs once in awhile, but the situation has certainly improved.

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

A clear answer to this would be awesome.I experienced this on a fairly-fresh install of Windows XP Professional SP2. Sometimes the OS would boot up and immediate Windows Explorer tells you that it will shut down Explorer to prevent harm to your computer. :P (I took a screenshot because of the irony.) When Explorer shuts down, Dr. Watson tries to save the day by diagnosing but it too crashes. :P After that, you're asked to send an error report (if you have that enabled). It's so retarded...The problem does scream out Microsoft, since we all know how horridly-programmed Windows is. Be glad that you're working with XP, as XP Professional SP2 is the best and most stable Windows OS today, IMO. I wonder if this happens in Vista. And if it does, it won't surprise me. :D

Sorry for the late reply. I have been a bit inactive lately. Thank you all for the replies, I managed to fix this problem. A moderator can close this topic now. Thanks again for the help.

windows explorer

Windows Explorer Crashes Consistantly [resolved]

Why does my windows explorer close when I go to certain websites. It didnt work on ver.6 and I upgraded to ver.7 and its still f*cked.

Even when I try loading the website(Boi-bol.Com) with firefox it still closes all the windows of the browswer.

I'm running xp sp2

I don't KNOW WHAT TO DO

PLS HELP

-reply by Fearghal

Explorer crashes solved!? Well, GRRR8 for U! It would be nice to know the solution for all who still have the issue!Windows Explorer Crashes Consistantly [resolved]Update: I have uninstalled SP3, then re-installed it fresh from a manual download. After the reboot, it still gave me the following pop-up box... "Explorer.Exe has generated errors and will be closed. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." Then another error box comes up. This one says, " Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." When I close the error box on this, the desktop freezes and anything that was imaged on the desktop won't close out. Only thing I can do is go into the Task Manager and end task on the two Dr Watson tasks that are running, otherwise they never complete and shutdown. Since this has happened, I have re-installed Internet Explorer 8. The first time I rebooted, VOILA!, no error boxes. Nada, nothing. System worked fine. Then I re-booted again to test and see if I could reproduce the error. Once again, the error boxes returned and I followed the same procedure as before to get Windows stable again. After that I rebooted again; guess what? No error boxes showed up. Explorer didn't crash, Dr Watson didn't run. The problem seems intermittent. It is not happening all the time now. The reason why this situation is unacceptable to me is that when Windows Explorer restarts, the icons that should appear in the task bar for the running programs at start up aren't all showing in the tray. They are running in the Task Manager, but their icons are not in the tray. Is there anyone that has a fix for this, it's driving me insane! Just one other question: When you run the Windows Protection System File Checker, is it a good idea to copy files from the Windows XP CD-Rom as it asks you to? I would think that would not help, in fact may even do more harm than good since the system files are updated whenever you upgrade the service packs to a newer version and you would be copying older files back into the system folders. Am I correct in assuming this and what is the solution? Thanks for anyone's assistance in advance~ Minstrel-question by Minstrel

My crashed of the error in the IE 8 I need tips Instantly "NOW!" from a "Computer Professer (ONLY!)" for Windows Movie Maker no qustions asked!Windows Explorer Crashes Consistantly [resolved]

My Windows Movie Maker just crashed instantly because of one of the .DLL files shown every time I open it. I'm upset that because my computer was new since 2005-06 worked well except the error that popped-up instantly of the .Dll causes by updating the Windows Media Player to a 11 even Updating to a Internet Explorer 6 to an 8. When I patch my window updates with it and it helps me update. I like the updates that take me to a new IE 8 which I have a IE 6 instantly installed "IE" (Internet Explorer) which I like to patch my computer correctly. I would have blamed the causes of my computer to experience any errors I updated like the Internet Explorer 8 and other softwares ruined my computer from any difficult use harming my human brain of computer use of interferences.I just want my computer updated.I'm 15 to be a Computer GeniusYou know why it crashed because of communication files and processor would cause to fatally damage your important time and work.Either you have a new toolbar installed or you did not have the main component to you configuration system to work at a certain use time and space.-reply by Joseph

solvedWindows Explorer Crashes Consistantly [resolved]

This solves the problem:Boot into safe mode and check if Windows explorer crashes or not.To boot into safe mode: press the F8 key before Windows starts.1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:sfc /scannowThe sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

-reply by 4vip.Ro

Will people ever get it straight? IE is NOT Windows ExplorerWindows Explorer Crashes Consistantly [resolved]

Internet Explorer is the Web browser.  Windows Explorer is the folder/file browser and operating system shell that makes finding, copying, moving and deleting files possible.

But BTW, I highly recommend using a freeware app called 2xExplorer instead of Windows Explorer ... Wherever possible that is.  Much more powerful.

-reply by M. Stapleton