xisto Community
bishoujo

My Notebook Takes Ages To Start Up

The notebook at my office takes at least 20 minutes to start up after I log in! There will be a box that says 'Running startup script' before my desktop loads. Why is this so? I'm not the only one in the office with this problem though, so I thought it might be due to age or something, but even my PC at home which I've used for some 3 years doesn't take half as long. Since it's the office computer, people don't download things to it often, so it can't be a virus.Anyway, it's a Dell Latitude D610 and runs on Windows XP.

If your office laptop is connected to the company network, then it is most likely booting over the network rather than with local files. Of course, that is going to be much slower. Most network admins also impose restrictions and security policies, which your laptop has to download and apply each time its turned on. Then you've got software updates. They'll be pushed onto your laptop when you first log in too. All of that takes time, often quite a while.

Oh I see. Yes my laptop is connected to the company network so that could be the reason. I've only heard a couple of colleagues complain, but maybe the others have gotten used to the slowness of the start up. I've never made a relation between the machine and a network, so this is something new to me.

If your office laptop is connected to the company network, then it is most likely booting over the network rather than with local files. Of course, that is going to be much slower. Most network admins also impose restrictions and security policies, which your laptop has to download and apply each time its turned on. Then you've got software updates. They'll be pushed onto your laptop when you first log in too. All of that takes time, often quite a while.

Yes, maybe you can change the setting from BIOS(change "boot from" menu). another way is to change your OS to lower one(need less time to start) or just get VISTA(which said to be the fastest boot OS)

Are you looking at only the booting time or also at the final performance of the laptop? Vista might be the fastest booting OS but definitely not the fastest when you are talking about overall performance on a entry level computer (not a high end one). I wouldnt advice him to make any attempt to install Vista in there regarding the fact that this is an office computer.

First, check if your laptop is configured to boot from a network server and then you also check to know whether there is even a hard disc in your laptop that would make your admin configure it to boot from the network. if it does have, I would suggest you install WIndows XP into your local hard drive. That would ensure that your computer would be able to access the local files much faster than the network ones. if there is not Hard disk in there, request for one or u have to get used to the slow booting from the network server.