xisto Community
delivi

Web Designing Business

Heh, i have nothing much to say except this few words:-Your designs must be something that cannot be found or felt elsewhere, which goes to show your unique design identity and this will trigger people to start taking a liking to your style of designing.-You must emphasize with the fact that time and logic helps alot for you need to innovate existing ideas to help make your customer's website look unique for this includes simplicity and ease of use.I would like to cite this inspiring words before closing my speech: "Success is not about luck, but instead, it's is by through your efforts".Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by OneMinute (see edit history)

Web design is a great job that's fun and easy! The only problem is - it doesn't pay you very much! There are thousands of growing web design jobs out there, because of the easy conditions. Therefore, due to that fact, the jobs are paying less and less. I would suggest that if you go into that that it wouldn't be your main salary, just your side-job or teenage job. If you do that, it would be a lot better for you.

Web design is a great job that's fun and easy! The only problem is - it doesn't pay you very much! There are thousands of growing web design jobs out there, because of the easy conditions. Therefore, due to that fact, the jobs are paying less and less. I would suggest that if you go into that that it wouldn't be your main salary, just your side-job or teenage job. If you do that, it would be a lot better for you.

Yeh, indeed. Unless you are able to come up with a marvelous business plan where you offer in pakages that are affordable. Pakages as well, prolly because you can offer a higher reasonable price though you'll have to fork out abit more time on the more features. Heh, once again, good luck in your venture. Edited by OneMinute (see edit history)

One of my RL friends is self set up in web design, and he's been successful by having drummed up a client base before starting up his business (e.g. was designing for people he knew through friends, business colleagues and people who'd seen his other sites) while working at a mobile phone company (so no conflict of interests! ;) ).

He advertises the fact that he does it all in one package, but places particular emphasis on SEO, and explains why that helps clients to gain more customers.

He's a flawless self-publicist (not arrogant, but you know what I mean - I don't have the bottle to just wander up to people and say that I noticed their website is looking shabby!), and that goes with what emzsquare said about business skills. He gets paid pretty well by what I make out, since he tends to make it clear to clients why they pay him more than a web-template site, and they only work together if they are happy and understand that.

I know that people emphasise having a portfolio, but he still hasn't got an up-to-date one set up (think he's working on it ATM), instead drumming up business through word of mouth.

So, if I go into that field at a later date (we'll see how my course goes :rolleyes: ), I'll be looking to model myself on that kind of business model - make sure people know why I'm better than the competition, not be afraid to get business in the real world (rather than relying solely on a portfolio), and ensuring that my marketable skills (which in my case will probably be e-commerce and more functional aspects, plus copy-editing) are forefronted rather than the design aspects.

It's not that design isn't important (far from it!), but that it's much harder to point out how much time and effort went into good design - which seems to be the key problem with getting people to pay for any design work, especially web design where 'anyone can do web-design from a template and a design program' (as I've heard from people at my current work - who seem to flounder when I ask where I can find a package that produces non-proprietary code that isn't table-based...heck, I'll settle for one that consistently produces designs that render correctly in Opera...). When you can rattle off a list of functional aspects (SEO, user-details for e-commerce sites, accessibility, validity, usability...) that are directly targeted at increasing a client's customer-base, they are happier.

Oh, and living your subject (cliche as that is!) seems to work too - if you can explain to a client why validation and accessibility will save them money in the long run, that's better for them (and your wallet) than simply making sure your sites are valid and accessible. Giving solid examples (like, to pick one out of the hat, how table-driven design will usually put off users using non-visual browsers, losing you customers...(I know some people don't agree with this - not trying to hijack the thread!)).

Usual disclaimer: this is what I've gathered from the outside, looking-in. Perhaps some people in the industry can chime in with whether they agree?

Starting your web design company always makes sense and can be very profitable if you know what you are doing. It takes very little time to create a simple, static page for a company (or organization) and you can be paid a few hundred dollars for it. Since the large companies charge over $500 a month to maintain websites, yo can undercut them and as a long as you are reliable and efficient, a good $300 can be made. Currently, i do a few websites for organizations and resturaunts in my area. Utilizing php, it takes me no more than 1 hr a week to maintain their site and perform updates. However, i get paid about $200 a month to do this. Therefore, if you know what you are doing, market yourself well, and can work with companies, your own web development company can be very profitable.

Before you start investing to create a business for Web Design, make yourself famous around the net. You could start your own website showing off some designs of your own. Remember, original custom art work is what makes designs special.The best thing for you to do is join different Design communities where people request web designs. Mark yourself with good reputations around the communities and start advertising your sites. You can also make free layouts for Social Networks such as MySpace, etc. and add the URL to your website somewhere around the layout. You can also do this for interactive communities such as different gaming sites that have Personal Profiles.Try entering in competitions, and if you win, you'll get some reputation around. After you have the right reputation, start advertising in your website your paid services and the advantages they have. Usually, when a website is starting the user might hire a web designer to create a neat layout, so it would be a good idea to hang around communities that help people starting web developing and showcase your designs there.Hope it helps you for something. :)

So does starting up a new web designing business make any sense. If so please provide suggestions and ideas.

Website design businesses are not strangers anymore. Since we are talking about business here; you can start from you local area. Almost every businesses have a website now and I still see a lot of businesses that doesn't have a website in my town.

Portfolio is something everyone looks at to judge you. Get a good portfolio and post it online; get some contacts and show them what you can do!

definitely competitive prices, along with varying rates per task, quotes, and the good ol' client/customer service. O! and availability is always good.I won clients simply by being the only one advertising! and thats in a small market.

I think Web designing is a good business and great opportunity to earn money despite the fact that there are several web designing firms all over the world, still these business would have make sense due to high demand. If ever you got into these business, you just have to come up with new ideas and fresh designs to offer to your client, so you could be able to build a name in the industry.Here are some tips on how to win the market on web designing:1. You must consider and showcase the quality of your services or products.2. Create a unique and extensive designs, functionality and features.3. Make it in demand and more user-friendly compared to others.4. Make sure to offer a reasonable cost.Hope this will help!yes this is thrue

I've started my web designing business and have started getting domestic offers for designing websites.But I'vent got any international offers . How do get international exposure??

It's good to have a market niche. I create sites for one service industry, an industry I'm familiar with. I provide my customers with a well rounded marketing campaign i.e. a web site as well as advice on how to promote it, like putting the web address on company vehicles instead of a phone number that is difficult to memorize. Their customers can sign up for service on the site, making it a very good investment.Trying to find customers on the net with Google and Yahoo search is rough. It'll take a year for your site to gradually 'float' toward the top of the natural listings, you may not get further than page 3 which is useless, and sponsored search is getting pricey.

Edited by mikeyboy63 (see edit history)

I suggest that u buy ur own domain, create web pages nd den sell dem wif websites. This wiil bring money in 4 ur skill nd 4 ur websites ur selling. If oda websites c ur making a profit dey will buy templates from u which will make u a quitea few bucks :D

Market for the web design beuisness is almost enourmouss and you shold go for it if you have all teh required skills and those are. Present as following:HTMLCSSXHTMLFLASHSILVERLIGHTalso maybe if you are getting serious maybe you could take on to teh production of the hall site and not just one part benefit from this would be vastly larger.PHPMYSQLASP.NETACTIONSCRIPTthere are many more but these are the leading ones.

In this respect of business I think business always have opportunity. So I should be positive and find out the bullseye to target. Anyway this is a hypothesis of myself.Now i will come more specific.I read lots of people talked about uniqueness, design & facilities issues. This are the significant issue and I have no new idea about it. I think there is also some issue should be considered. I have heard that Chines people think - If you can produce a lot it will cut your cost and it should be sold cause somebody has its need. So cheaper you can cost more you can sold. However some people can think - if the price is low and everybody has what they want then who will be the buyer? In this scene the answer is they will go for 2nd one may be for third and so on. You just have to lead your customer with attractive product and make them more available by cutting cost and price.To Admin:Will I get more points for good post which cost more time?If I am very clear to you I need your service and also want to proper use of my valuable time. So what should i do? To get more point will i post more with minimum quality or post with high quality?

If you don't have competition in the area or you're better than the competitors, I surely start my own web design business cause people need sites ;) really not just sites you could sell anything online so it's a good idea, also joining a webdesign team is a good idea, you could learn lot of things from the colleagues ;)