xisto Community
masugidsk8r

Is It The Power Supply? Help I broke my computer while buildin it.

It's actually hard to determine what's been burned, blown up, and destroyed when we can only go off of what you say. :P I hope that you didn't get ripped off by that technician. Most guys will take advantage of the fact that the other guy doesn't know what he's doing. (Which is "why" you fried your stuff.) :P If you heard a pop, I have reason to believe that it is the power supply, and if you don't have a POS PS, your components SHOULD be fine... but if the surge got to any of your components... 'nuff said.But that was to the original post. I just thought of rechecking the latests posts and now we have a new prob...Worst-case scenario is that you fried both hard drives, but that shouldn't have been the case because unless you have a POS PS, the surge should have ONLY fried the PS and left everything else alone. Saint Michael may be right about static electricity, but then again, as good computer builders, we always ground ourselves to something first, right? :D Test the drives themselves on a computer that works. See if it even recognizes. What sounds do the drives make? Does it make any noise at all? If they do turn on, spin up the disks, but still can't be recognize, you may have fried the logic board WITHIN the hard drive... which leaves you with a working, but non-detectable paperweight. One fix for that case is if you have a spare hard drive of the SAME make and model, you could swap the logic boards (but of course, not only does this void your warranty, but it also is pointless unless in the rare case that you have a "dead" hard drive of the same make and model with an intact logic board). Otherwise, you may be SOL...I've never heard of what Habbo is talking about, since I would believe that you would NOT be able to simply install device drivers onto a HD that "lost" its device drivers. If the logic board is dead, it's dead. No recovery. Even if it supposedly "lost" its drivers, I don't see how you could even access it then, because the computer itself doesn't even see anything in the BIOS. You COULD try specifying generic cylinder/capacity/etc values to see if you could try reviving it, but that would be guesswork that I believe would be in vain.Of course, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

@rayzoredge I am still waiting for that day to happen when a computer tech tells me different, because I will take my computer, put it in a car, come back and point and laugh at the guy :P. Telling me that something else is wrong HA!!But on topic rayzoredge is correct I would go test the hard drive and DVD ROM drive on another computer, however, since the fry smell is very distinct just smell around were the cables are connected in the back, and if you get that funky oder then you know you did some damage to it.I been pondering what Habbo been talking about, and I think he's talking about the F6 method, but again google is my friend and with a little luck the Start up disk is used for booting to the prompt. However, I think that will defeat the purpose if your hard drive is connected properly and it can't be detected.Another idea does come to mind though, if you can get into your CMOS/BIOS and see if the booting order is messed up, or if the BIOS has picked up the hard drive or DVD drive. If it hasn't then your stuck to either the motherboard or the drives themselves. Thus refer back to rayzor's post about connecting the hardware to another computer and see if they work or not.

Alright. I finally took it to one of the computer shops and found out that I fried both the Hard Drive and the Optical Drive (DVD-ROM). So I took it home and just and for now we're using an external CD-RW drive to load a Live CD for Ubuntu. It's running fine except things are pretty slow because of the Live CD. Right now we don't have any hard drive so we'll be sure to get those two replaced soon.I'm thinking of buying some at newegg but I'll go check out the parts at china town. They're usually cheaper there.

Ouch, frying the CD-ROM is one thing but frying your hard drive is another, because you would have to do some serious stuff to that motherboard and your power supply to do something like that to a hard drive(Overclock). Even if you drop the hard drive at a certain distance you will be able to get it to work, a bit funky but still workable. If you got the parts on warranty then you should be able to replace them with no problem whatsoever.

I think all of your computer parts have burnt out. I've once an accident when electricity ran out when I'm tried to turn on my computer, the result is bad smell(like a rubber is being burnt). when I get to my usual computer store, they said my computer had got short-electricity and the PSU, Motherboard,RAM,CD-ROM,and HDD were all burnt out, so I went home with only my processor(luckily it didn't get burnt) ^^p.s. sorry for my bad English