xisto Community
seez

Homework- Do You Need It? I say NO

Homework is pretty retarded as far as I'm concerned. I'm an incredibly smart kid and I understand all the material in class. I don't care about there being lots of homework even though it's an *bottom*.

I agree and disagree, my teachers don't give out any homework but we finish any unfinished work at home, so we actually give ourselves homework. I used to have a teacher that doesn't beleive in homework so never gave any, but we still did homework when we didn't finish our work.Homework from teachers=BADHomework from us=GoodNo Homework at all=Very Good

I think it really depends on your teacher's teaching methods. If your teachers make you spend the lessons doing assignments and practices, then it is tiring and unnecessary to have homework.However, some teachers just give lectures during the lessons and they want you to do homework so they can tell whether you have learnt the theories and are able to apply them. In this case, homework will be quite essential.Homework helps you remember what you're supposed to be learning. If teachers do not force students to do homework, most likely, nobody is going to do any revision on their own, and when the exams come, they are either going to burn the midnight oil on the exam week or fail due to lack of revision.

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

I agree and disagree.Homework is just another frustrating thing to do during the day because it eats up a lot of time, seems pointless, and we just don't want to do it because we're America and we're lazy. :P But there is a point to homework. Homework is great in showing that you do know and understand the material. It provokes thinking and keeps you on your toes. It's a great way to apply and practice what you just went over, and with the more problems and exercises (or papers) that you do/write, the better of an understanding and a knack you will have for the concept(s).

I can honestly say that probabl 80% of the homework I have recieved in high-school has been absolutely pointless. There are some assignments that are necessary (e.g.: Out of school writing assignments for an English class, since in-class timed writing is probably the absolute worst way to measure writing ability), however a math teacher should not assign 50 problems a night for certain topics. There are many topics in mathematics which students can understand easily after a one period lecture and solving a few problems in class. If a student really needs more practice on a specific topic, he/she should go home and do problems his/herself or go see the teacher after class. For people who have a mastery of a concept, homework assigned to 'reinforce' said concept is rather trivial and more of a waste of time than anything else. I think that high schools should be somewhat reconfigured to be a little more like college. That is, the only out of school work assigned should be the occassional graded work, such as a paper or project. Otherwise, it should be up to a student how much 'home work' he/she needs to do, and it should be their responsibility to see that they fulfill that necessary amount.

Homework is a way for you to apply your knowledge. True, different course waiver in how well this is done, but some form of application is needed (at least for the majority of students). It's the old saying of practice makes perfect for math, science is more learn by doing, and English is the conceptual.

It's easy to say a homework is pointless if you're not aware of what it's aimed at developing (and it's not easy to know unless you're told).For example, let's look at the most bog-standard geography homework - prepare a presentation on a country (a nice easy first year project). This isn't intended to make you aware of the facts about a specific country, or even to improve your general knowledge about all the countries that people report back on. At the subject level, it's intended on getting you thinking about what facts people would want (or need) to know about a country. More importantly, this would get you used to researching the topic with the means that are available to you.I'll have to come clean here as well....I currently work at a school, and I didn't like homework when I was younger, so I see where you're coming from. Just don't let homework put you off learning off your own back, and you'll be fine :rolleyes:

I dont think homework is pointless, because it developes knowledge as well as personal work ethic. Although when its to do with exams, i think it can be pointless. You do the homework, and learn the work, but then you end up forgetting. My teachers are always saying how at the start of the year students get high marks, and they drop on that same subject, and at the end of the year when final exams are on, they get low marks. So why not do the homework before the exams? I dont mean the day before, but when you will remember and everything is fresh in your head and you can go in and do well in those exams. Although I think this depends on the type of person you are, this method works for me, but i think i am too lazy to put in the effort to do homework. Im not worried about my exams though.

No, the homework is needed, if you ask me. The small (or large XD) exercise makes you understand/remember the things more thoroughly. By the way, the students (example, like me) are learning a lot more when reading the lesson and making the homework. lolThe homework's main objective is to practice what you've learned from the lesson. And it's needed :P

Home Work i guess its really neccesarry , else without a home work a skool student what can he do at home ? its the home work which he or she does makes him a school student , Whenever if u call a small child to play he may say that he has a lot of home work to be done , this gives him a responsiblity , by a simple Concept home work the Child at the Young age gets responsiblity .So i Strongly suggest that Home Work is necessary and that makes a child to grow with more responsiblities.

I used to think the same things before my junior year. AP class + classes at the college = the gift that keeps on giving.Now, I'm not saying that schools don't give out too much homework, a lot of them do. But I have 3 classes that are graded solely on quiz and test scores. Assignments are given out from the books so we can practice math, learn the history, and get a background of Mr. Eccles' many accomplishments before going into macroeconomic theory of Keynes.This new way of grading is killing me in some classes. A lot of the stuff is really obscure, and it's impossible to figure out what the teacher wants you to get from the reading (this means you, math and history people).Homework, in proper amounts, cushions your grade. I kind of wish I had math homework and history homework, because then I would have less of a B+ and more of an A.Although, when I think about it, I think that either way people are going to be unhappy and wish things were done in the opposite way.

I am a student too and i definitely would have to disagree with the statements about homework not being needed. You do not learn a thing without doing it yourself. Sitting in class can be boring and tedious and long and is important. You do obtain lots of information and learn a lot just by writing down notes or watching example problems. However, if you never put those things into practice, you would never know how to do any of it. For example, lets say you were in a math class and wrote down the example problems. How often when you try to do the homework do you have to look at the book for help or your notes or google in order to determine how to solve the problem? This is very often and thus means homework is important. Without it, you never would really understand the ideas being presented and how to use them.Another example is for a programming class. Most software takes more than 50 minutes to write and make it work. If you just wrote software in class instead of as homework, you never would learn anything. Most computer programming classes discuss techniques, algorithms, etc in class and then as homework you have to utilize them or implement them. This could not be done without homework. Also, most people tend to get into a grove when writing software. If I had to stop coding every 50 minutes, i would never get anywhere.Overall, homework is as important if not more important than attending class since it forces you to put into practice ideas learned in class and struggle through solving a system that is required.