xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Midori

The Alphabets

That one made me think as you know Alphabets in in the order

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

that is what made me think why is it in that order? Maybe it was because of the song? it was confusing and the way alphabetical order, it could be nonsense and could be in byx first and aig last what you think? :P

Heheh, good question...

Maybe the way we are teached is only to know the characters, because the sequence is different in every word.
Just like on a keyboard:

qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm

I was told by my teacher that it was like

qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
because once it was alphabetical order people could too fast and the computer crashed for some reason then they changed it and made computers that could withstand it and I think they never changed it again because everybody got used to the other. I dont really know the true story tough

Hmmm Nice topic and a real brain twister.. Maybe you are right about the song idea. I think it might be because of the sound of the letter. I guess it is arranged according to the stress required by the vocal chords to produce the alphabet.As for the keyboard, I guess the alphabets are arranged the way they are on the key board for faster results, I mean the letters used often are towards the middle and easy in reach while the letters used less often are at the corners. :P

If you're going to consider the order of the alphabet, perhaps you should consider the order of numbers as well; like, why isn't 9 where the number 2 is? Or whatever... Perhaps you should also consider why the alphabet is still in alpha testing and not beta. :) :XD: (Sorry, little, lame programmer humor there. :D) I suppose this topic is similar to the why-are-things-like-this question.

It is pretty interesting to think of why the alphabet is in the order of which it is. Dictionaries put things in alphabetical order that way and in school you alphabetize stuff and names go in alphabetical order. I think it was just created that way to better organize things and the song was made to help you remember the order. Plus like the Greek alphabet it goes Alpha Beta and so on down the line so we probably sort of put it in an order like the past. Of course I don't know the whole Greek alphabet so it may not go in order that way but it's just a way of organization. I'm sure it could probably go any way you wanted as long as you learn them but we have grown to be used to that order for alphabetical order.

because once it was alphabetical order people could too fast and the computer crashed for some reason then they changed it and made computers that could withstand it and I think they never changed it again because everybody got used to the other. I dont really know the true story tough

Almost true, the old keyboards on typewriters used to be alphabetical, the problem was typers got too fast using that layout and the hammers, which printed the letters, would clash and of course that slowed things down while they were sorted out so they re-arranged the layout to make typers slower and it just stayed that way ever since. Thats what i was told anyway.

As to the alphabet, consider if it started with the letter B and A was at the end, then this topic would still be here eg "why does the alphabet start with B" the same goes for any order, it doesnt matter what order its in someone will always ask why its in that order. So in theory the question is irrelevant because there is no real answer i dont think! Though it does get people thinking.

the same goes for all orders, eg numbers, if numbers began with one hundred and continued from there then we would ask why.