xisto Community
odomike

Another Browser Comes Your Way Take a peep

it is called Maxthon 2.0 Web browser
read this Exerpt from TechRepublic.com

The Right Tool for the Job?
Wouldn’t it be nice to browse the Web safely and securely with a tool that has the all the easy compatibility of Internet Explorer without sacrificing the features found in modern Web browsers?

The Tool

The Maxthon 2.0 Web browser is the most recent generation of an app that started out as a plug-in for Internet Explorer and has grown into a full-fledged piece of software. Is it the Right Tool for the Job? TechRepublic’s Anthony Sullivan took it for a test drive and identified these strengths and weaknesses.
Strengths
Far more feature-rich than Internet Explorer.
Actual underlying browser is still Internet Explorer, so compatibility is maintained.
Includes additional security features that protect your computer from Internet Explorer’s weaknesses.

Weaknesses
Because Maxthon sits on top of an existing browser, its performance is limited to the performance of Internet Explorer. This means it will always be at least slightly slower.

The Right Tool for the Job?

According to Anthony, there is no a single feature in Maxthon that can’t be achieved in Firefox using plug-ins, but there is something to be said for a single package that is full featured and developed under the same quality standard. All in all, Maxthon is a great browser and works great. It has a wonderful feature set and very performant. Maxthon is the Right Tool for this job.

So to say, this is Internet Explorer in disguise. For one, I dont fancy using Internet Explorer. I would rather go with Opera, Firefox or Netscape Navigator. Reason is cos of internet explorer's slowness and it takes quite some time to load and exit cos every other software out there wanna add one plug-in or the other into IE. I wouldnt wanna test run this new browser basically cos it is based on Internet explorer.

The fact that it makes the internet even slightly slower makes me not want to get it, speed is sort of my top priority... I trust my Google Toolbar to do the blocking of pop-ups and such and McAfee to get rid of my viruses and cookies. McAfee has improved a lot (or understood how to get rid of the viruses I used to get) because when I just got my computer I used to get sometimes 5 viruses a day and about 70 cookies (a minimum of two viruses a day) but now for the past three weeks or so I haven't gotten a single cookie OR virus! It's really amazing... I still run daily virus scans though, but recently i've lowered my defences a little and let a couple days pass.... It's sort of a weekly virus scan now :P

I am happy with the speed I have now so that is not a problem, but I think it would be hard to get used to opening another browser all over again. I don't use too much with my browsers except I have one add on which is installed in both Firefox and Internet Explorer and I don't have to worry about pop ups because the basic blockers work fine for the sites I go to. The tab feature is really the only new thing I need, looks doesn't really matter to me and being able to type in searches in the Firefox URL bar is nice. Other than that I'm set, so I'll probably just stick with what I have. I haven't had any security flaws recently either so no worries there either.

Of course if we all remember when Safari went on the PC we were all like ***toss are hands in the air*** and went OMG :P. I have come across a few IE clones never used it but know that they are there, some of the clones have a cult following but if your not IE, FF, Opera, Netscape, and now Safari; don't expect to have 100 million downloads over night. I think its good people are trying to program things like browsers and sweet applications, but if your not a name brand technology company you have a long road ahead of trying to get up there.

I am happy with the speed I have now so that is not a problem, but I think it would be hard to get used to opening another browser all over again. I don't use too much with my browsers except I have one add on which is installed in both Firefox and Internet Explorer and I don't have to worry about pop ups because the basic blockers work fine for the sites I go to. The tab feature is really the only new thing I need, looks doesn't really matter to me and being able to type in searches in the Firefox URL bar is nice. Other than that I'm set, so I'll probably just stick with what I have. I haven't had any security flaws recently either so no worries there either.

I use Maxthon since years ago, because it has the same compatibility with some sites that Firefox, for any weird reason, can't browse correctly. About Maxthon has the same as Opera and Firefox: plugins, advertise hunter and nifty skins.

In look and feel was very similar to IE6, and at this moment I still using the version 1.5, because all the plugins that I have are for that version. The problem is that the users that make the plugins sometimes disappear of the map and then is not too much support to upgrade the plugins to a new or enhanced version.