xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tklee87

Forgot The Wireless Wpa/wep how to find it bacK?

The best method is to either unplug your router or look for the reset button and press it, this way your router goes back into it's default mode. However, if you have a main computer that your router connects through then just log into your router's admin panel and then go to the wireless security menu (or whatever it would be called) and your WPA/WEP key should be listed. Then write it down or have your other computer there to type it in and you should be set.

There is no software that could find it out for you - all software would do is try every possible key continually until it found the right one. I think its safe to say you would be sat there for many years waiting for it to pop up with the right key. Your router's admin panel will have an area where you entered the key when you first set the router up. If you type this address into your web browser: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ then you should get a login box pop up. Enter your username (usually "admin") and password (could be anything, but if you haven't changed it, check the manual for the router). Go through the options until you find the section on wireless security, and your key should be shown to you. If it comes up as a series of dots or stars, simply delete them and tap in a new key.

The other option is, as S_M said, resetting the router. This will lose all of your setting in the router though, including you Internet connection details, custom firewall rules, IP settings and all that. Make sure you either know what to replace it with, or find out first! Again, all of this is in the router's admin panel. Now, the reset button is on the back of the router usually, often towards one side. It should be a small circle, just big enough to poke a cocktail stick or pen nib into. Get a pen or cocktail stick (or similar item) and push that button. Hold it down for at least 30 seconds. Turn the router back on and your settings will have been reset.

If you need more detailed information on getting into the admin panel or resetting the router, the best people to contact would be the manufacturers of the router.

There is software that can get it back but only on the machiene that you set up the router with if not it is not possibile. It that does not work you may be forced to do a full reset of your router and change back to factory defaults. It is usually holding the reset button for about 10 seconds but check with the users manual if you still have it.

the above comments reflect the correct procedure.in terms of priority you should try logging into the router first and changing it.If not able to do that, last resort is resetting the router by unplugging AND holding the reset switch. Technically if you were usuing wep you could get a program to decrypt the traffic in a short amount of time, but wpa uses dynamic keys so it wouldn't be worth your time. That would mean that there was wireless traffic even on your network. (if you can't log in, there probably isn't any traffic lol)

There is no software that could find it out for you - all software would do is try every possible key continually until it found the right one. I think its safe to say you would be sat there for many years waiting for it to pop up with the right key.

What's this mumbo-jumbo about taking years to crack the WEP/WPA???
It can be done in 3 minutes for a WEP and 15 with WPA! If you're interested, take a look into: http://www.remote-exploit.org/
...years..pff.. :P
And BTW, some router's (I know 2WIRE does for sure) have the WEP key on the bottom of the router, on a sticker. It won't say "WEP" though, But you'll be able to recognize it.

Forgot wep password Forgot The Wireless Wpa/wep

Hmmmm.

Hello. I am setting up my daughter?s laptop and I have forgottenAnd misplaced my wep password. I followed the suggestion of going to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ , logged in using admin andWent into the Administration tab where is shows the password ? well, dots forEach character. I deleted this password and put in a new one, once to put inAnd once to reconfirm, then hit ?save settings?, the screen goes back to theEntry of the site,  I get a window thatSays Your Settings Are Successful but when I go back to this page, it stillShows the old password (I can tell by the number of dots). What am I doingWrong? I am hesitant to reset the router as I am not a computer person and amNot sure I can put everything back the way it is now ? and I definitely do notWant to lose internet access on all my computers by messing with the routerL.. . Also, my Linksys router just went out of warranty so they won?t help me(for free). Any advice welcomeJ.

-question by jennifer

BOYCOTT LINKSYS IT SUCKS BIG TIMEForgot The Wireless Wpa/wepOn the phone with linksys tech support for NINE NINE NINE HOURS yesterday and they still could not get my computer connected. I have the wireless and 160N with matching adapter and a new computer. All of this aggravation cost me 29.99. They said they would have someone research the problem and call me back today. Today I got disconnected 5 times and they said they did not have a second level support person available. And no wonder this country is so pissed off about our jobs going over seas (Phillippines in this case).I repeatedly typed int he security ket but it kept saying there was a mismatch or incorrect passkey. I reset the modem, the router at least 20 times to no avail. I am left with worthless **** equipment, about 200$ worth. I just Karma comes he;p put Linksys out of business because they ****-reply by Maggy

Jennifer, you said "It still shows the old password (I can tell by the number of dots)"

Some models will display the same number of dots all the time, regardless of how long the password originally was. This is a security feature (so people can't tell how long the password is). You've got nothing to worry about (unless your connection still doesn't work, in which case it's not the password that's your problem). Just make sure all the other computers are configured with the new password as well. 

Regards,

FriendlyZen

-reply by FriendlyZen

lost password for wpa2Forgot The Wireless Wpa/wep

I am tryin to hook up a wireless xbox but I have misplaced my password. I have tried everything I can think of but I'm having no luck. My computr runs on vista . Would you have any suggestions?

-reply by john

Where is the my WEP code located?Forgot The Wireless Wpa/wep

I used to have a code but I reset my box and IDK where the code is I threw the box and papers away along time ago if there is another way to get the code PLEASE HELP 

-reply by C00LKatz777

You will need to find the IP to access your router (usually 192.168.0.1) and then go to the wireless settings section and from there you can see/reset your WPA/WEP key. EASY =D

lost password for wpa2Forgot The Wireless Wpa/wep<p>I am tryin to hook up a wireless xbox but I have misplaced my password. I have tried everything I can think of but I'm having no luck. My computr runs on vista . Would you have any suggestions? </p>-reply by john

You are the one wjo created your passwords...you must create a password that can easily be remembered,,,