xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Plenoptic

Volunteer Sought To Be Stung By Jellyfish

Well for those of you in the Norway area of the world, if you are willing to help researchers at the University of Oslo test their anti-jellyfish sunscreen they are looking for volunteers. The people who volunteer will be asked to shave their arms before coming and on one arm will apply regular sunscreen and the anti-jellyfish sun screen on the other arm. They will then be stung by the jellyfish once on each arm to see if their product works I guess. There are a few requirements that can be read in the article. The funny thing is, you will be compensated for it with three bottles of their sun screen.

I find this article rather humorous to see the researchers looking for a group of 10 people to willingly come to have themselves harmed. I guess it's for a scientific cause. They already have five people though so I guess they'll probably have their crew. I guess just because it sounds kind of odd is what makes it sound sort of funny. If their cream proves to be a success, would any of you purchase it? I don't think jelly fish stings are really all that common are they? I've played with jelly fish before with a shovel and stuff but haven't been stung by any.

Article: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Congratulations on your 2,000th post! :DI hope those people are getting paid because otherwise it seems that only masochists would volunteer for something like this. Bee stings make me howl in pain and I've heard that jellyfish are 100 times worse. >.<

I wouldn't do it unless I am sure that a Jellyfish sting won't kill me, their poison is rather powerful in some species and I don't think sunscreen will protect me from the poison within my body. As for getting stung by a jellyfish I believe you have to threaten it in someway in order for them to attack you, but I seem pictures and articles and tv shows of people swimming with these sea creatures.---OFF TOPIC---2000 POSTS OMG :D

I've actually been stung by a jellyfish before :D . The funny part is that I didn't know it until a couple days later and a weird red spot appeared on my neck. So I guess the jellyfish just brushed my neck or something. It wasn't painful, but it was itchy. I'd prefer not to be stung again because I have a feeling that I was lucky not to get any pain from the sting. That is pretty funny I have to say, but I don't think it's worth the sun screenBTW Nice job with your 2,000 post Pleno!

I was just wondering... being compensated for your, ahem, contributions with three bottles of sunblock...What if their sunblock does not work? I mean, it does not protect your skin from jellyfish stings? Would it have been a less appealing compensation to those volunteers? :D

I was just wondering... being compensated for your, ahem, contributions with three bottles of sunblock...
What if their sunblock does not work? I mean, it does not protect your skin from jellyfish stings? Would it have been a less appealing compensation to those volunteers? :D

Well, since this is scientific research you probably won't be compansated unless you were to have a severe allergic reaction to the jellyfish sting. If the scientists compensated otherwise they'd probably go over budget and no anti-jellyfish sting sunscreen would be made.

I would assume that it's a lighter stinging jellyfish, so you'll feel some stinging, definately, but no scarring. I'd certainly bet on it, because if they tested a man-o-war on your untreated sunblock, you'd be permanantly scarred and treated to something rather painful, much worse than that of your lighter stinging jellyfish, and I'd doubt they'd risk any severely poisonous jellyfish on the initial run as well, because some jellyfish have toxins that few others can top in potency - death to humans in matters of hours.

Well, since this is scientific research you probably won't be compansated unless you were to have a severe allergic reaction to the jellyfish sting. If the scientists compensated otherwise they'd probably go over budget and no anti-jellyfish?sting sunscreen would be made.

Actually, lots of companies provide monetary compensation for your participation in their research, at least in the US. For a product like this to be released for consumer use, it has to prove that it does what it says it does. Most companies would rather shell out a few thousand to pay volunteers rather than having to shell out millions for a law suit. Not to mention the PR nightmare. And don't let the University part tell you otherwise, UCLA does hundreds of clinical test trials from its facilities because some companies don't have the resources or facilities to hold and administer the tests.

The thing is though they are just compensating them with their own product. So unless you are looking to get stung by jellyfish just to get anti-jelly fish sunscreen that is still being used in research, then it may not be worth it. I was expecting like maybe a gift card or a bit of money but I guess not. They still have a few people though on the team and still days before the test date so I guess they'll probably have their crew of 10 in no time.