xisto Community
mrdee

Using My Domain Name [resolved] Letting my domain point to my trap17 web space

Hi folks,my Xisto subdomain is vlaanderen-flanders.trap17.com.I have now bought the domain name vlaanderen-flanders.org.uk, how can I make that name point to my Xisto subdomain?I tried using "Addon domain", but the login is really confusing: In the first box it asks you for your domain, that's simple enough, however, in the second one, it asks you for Username/Subdomain, a blank box followed by.vlaanderen-flanders.trap 17.com. I don't know what to fill in in that box, it doesn't work when I dill in my username to access the control panel, nor does it work when I enter the 1st part of my subdomain (the bit before .trap17.com).However, I have set up domain forwarding with the company who sold me the domain, pointing my domain at my Xisto subdomain webspace, will that do any good?I really hope someone can help me out here.Thanks in advance,Mr. Dee.

First of all, go to your registrar (where you bought the Domain) and change the Name servers to the Xisto Nameservers ( ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com).To 'add-on' a domain, the second field should be the name of the sub-directory you want the domain to point to. example, if the files for the domain are stored in your account folder named 'Forum', then Forum should be placed in the second field. In order to have the domain name point to your Xisto account public_html folder, use a 'Parked' domain.

The second box refers to the "folder" name that which your addon domain will reside. This can be anything in alphanumeral except for special characters and spaces.

Let's say you name the second box as HOME. Your new addon domain files should go under HOME folder but whenever URL vlaandern-flanders.org.uk is entered anyone will not know the difference. Addon creates subdomain with your hosting such that when you enter home.vlaanderen-flanders.trap17.com you will see the same index page.

The third box is a password for that folder "HOME." If you're going to be the only manager of the folder it really doesn't matter what password you give. However, please be sure that it's long and complicated enough that it cannot be guessed or hacked.

If you have your own domain try not to use forwarding service. It looks bad for SEO. The reason domain registrars provide domain forwarding is that some hosting companies would not allow you to add or park your own domain name. This is not the case with Xisto Free Web Hosting, No Ads. We give you the full control over your hosting at a price of *FREE* :D

For a related previous topic please see Pointing Domains To Diffrent Directories Or Subdomains

And as always, please search the forum or use Xisto Readme.

I have pointed the domain at the Xisto servers, but when trying to park the domain I get this:"Error from park wrapper: Using nameservers with the following IPs: 64.69.35.177,64.69.35.170 Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ip.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver."Yet the IP adresses that are mentioned are the correct ones, ie. ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com.Why is it not accepting those?

C-Panel > Add-on Subdomain Mgr > select the Add-on Domain and delete it before Parking the domain

C-Panel > Add-on Subdomain Mgr > select the Add-on Domain and delete it before Parking the domain

I'm afraid it won't let me do that either.

Thanks to everyone for their excellent advice.
Everything works good as gold now.
I can now nicely surf to http://www.vlaanderen-flanders.org.uk/ and send and receive email.

the reason why it would not work was most pobably the propagation (or lack thereof).

Thanks again,
Mr. Dee.
:D

Edited by mrdee (see edit history)

That is what this community is all about... people helping people by sharing their knowledge. :D

Topic is resolved.Please PM any moderator to continue this discussion. Until then, this topic is closed.