xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Plenoptic

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows talking about the book itself and thoughts

Well, I figured I mine as well make the post for the book. I know Albus is probably reading it considering his screen name is named after the former character. Anyway, I've read a few articles about it and have heard that people are pretty satisfied with the ending. The storyline has changed so much as Harry has grown older. I've also read though that there is lots of death occurring throughout the book, but of course I guess that is part of the name. I purchased my copy last night and have started reading chapter one. Please post what you think of it but if you are going to post spoilers use the hide feature. I think it's OK so far but of course I haven't read much, but it seems that there has been so much hype about this book for years and now it has finally come to an end. I have been reading them since they first came out and knew there was going to be 7 books, now all we'll have to look forward to is the movies and maybe prequels about Harry's parents.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Topic description added as per request.

I'm not a fan of the Harry Potter series. I'm not one for reading about things like magic. However, I really do enjoy how people at the humor websites like YTMND try and spoil it - sometimes not really actually spoiling it but rather putting in some strange alternate ending.Let me dispense a few secrets about the book: Harry Potter Seven will be the seventh and latest book in the Harry Potter series. In it, Harry Potter will be the main character. It will be over three pages long and have more than two chapters. Events will occur in it. It will involve wizards and some sort of magic. The book will end with the last page of the novel. :D

Lol last night me and a couple buddies were drinking (i know i know, this has to do with harry potter... relax) and we got dropped off near a book store. Not sure why we were, but my other buddy who was driving ditched us there and didnt come back. We chilled in front of the book store for bout 30 minutes, and this was just after midnight, so people were buying books and stuff. Lil kids, middle age people, and old people. We were possibly drunk at this point, so we were laughing so hard at the people cause there was an old man in a wizard suit.Seen two "gangsta's" run up, and one ran in the store... we were chirpin the other one and sayin how if his buddy came out with a harry potter book. dot. dot. dot. Guess what happens. Just Harry Potter is teaching street thugs to read. It was definately fun ripping up a bunch of HP fans though, and their parents. lol. Thats my HP story.

@Tetraca: That was VERY informative. I'm going to go out now and BUY the book just so I can read ALL about it and double-check if you're right. :D@9block: Well, I've never thought it'd come to this, but would you say that reading Harry Potter is "gangsta" now?I didn't get to go to the long lines to buy a book, but a friend of mine's father went out and got it... and promptly told us bits and pieces of information about the plot.I didn't know it gets so extreme that people dress up as if they're going to a movie release... and apparently a bunch of cities transform a street into diagon alley. I'm going to miss these little fests later on.

I happened to go to the midnight release for the 7th book. Normally I wouldn't do that... I can wait without a problem, but it was just to hang out with friends for a couple hours(while waiting around for a book). It was pretty interesting because the line was ridiculously long... people were camping out and... it started raining. I turned to be part of the unlucky couple hundred people to be waiting outside. Now... where I live... when it rains... it doesn't drizzle... it doesn't just in general 'rain'... it pours. Hard.

Now, this would be the point where I would be running around in the street like a maniac, sticking my tongue out as if trying to catch snow. And of course, my friends would usually be the ones to join me, taking pictures. But no... they were too worried that we'd look like... weirdos. That kind of irked me... because we had a groups of people dressed up as witches and wizards with lightning bolts on their foreheads, and wands at hand... humming the harry potter theme song right next to us... and they were worried that we'd look... weird? And to top that... those people were pretending to cast spells on eachother. I definitely felt like the only sane one there.

Sorry for that unrelating story.

I did buy my copy of the book today and I havn't started reading it yet... but i've heard some pretty amazing reviews about it from my friends- and i'm about to leave the computer after posting this just so I can start it.

Normally, it takes me 5-6 hours to read the book. So i'll post my review afterwards.

(What am I doing up this late?)I haven't read the book yet, but I'm glad you guys choose to at least warn people before spoilers, some sites literally ambush their readers with them and the images cannot BE EXTINGUISHED!That said, what gives people the need to spoil the ending, middle, or any part of the novel before or even the day after release? There are better things to do with one's time than ruin the experience for others. What do they gain? The joy of posting? Please.Thanks again, and please, at least wait a week before discussing the details. I'd write more, but the eyes are drooping...

I finished reading it in 9 hours :P go figure non-stop from 1:00am when i got home and my dad left me alone enough in my room to read it.It was really awesome in my opinion, totally depressing that it is the end, the end of it all, no more waiting impaitentley for the books to come out..But yes, really good book, im not going to say anything and let you buy it and read it yourself :D And be warned any harry potter hater on this site that decides to make a joke about a spoiler like people saying harry died at the end of the 6th book, i will shoot you down, hard.

I finished the book last night, i thought it was amazing. There were times where I had hated the book (because of what was happening in it), then there were times when i loved the book. The ending was completely unpredictable, even I had no idea it was coming (and I can usually spot that stuff pretty well). It was definitly, in my opinion, the best book of the series. Edit: the black is a spoiler, do not highlight unless you have read the book (I thought it would be hidden, not have its color changed)

I couldn't beleive how many times Harry and his friends managed to escape voldemort and his death eaters (his name is no longer tabooed right? lol).

Definitly loved it, and it kept on the edge the whole time I read it. Had it been a couple years ago (when i was a major fan) I would have been crying through half of it.

Edited by t3jem (see edit history)

I borrowed the book from my mom Saturday night and finally got to finish it yesterday afternoon despite constantly being interrupted. (I've got family visiting from Ohio. Luckily, they're staying at my mom's house, not with me, otherwise I would still be reading the book!) I have to say that I'm impressed, and I cried through quite a bit of it. Rowling did a great job of tying up a lot of loose ends and explaining things pretty thoroughly. Of course, I've still got some questions that the last chapter didn't answer. They aren't really spoilers, but I'll hide them anyways.

What ever happens to the Dursleys after they leave Privet Drive?

What happens to Hermione's parents?

Who is the new headmaster in the last chapter?

I really want to know what Luna Lovegood does after Hogwarts. She's such a fun character!

What I expected to happen did, but there were unexpected results. Anyways, I'm always sad when a series ends, either books or on TV, because that means I'll have to find another series to get hooked on.

Nah, we seen two thugs run up on the bookstore... and one went in.. and came out with a Harry Potter book. It was definately halarious to see that.

I think it's sad that it is coming to an end already.I haven't yet purchased this book but I certainly do intend to as I've thoroughly enjoyed the other books.Although, I'm really sad that several characters get killed off.