xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TikiPrincess

Something's Bugging Me!

Yesterday, I had 5 new bug bites to add to the 3 that were already there. This morning, I discovered another 2. :DI have this histamine problem, so little bug bites end up being big, huge bumps that are sometimes three inches in diameter and the swelling lasts for a day or two before they reduce to normal size. Unfortunately, my house doesn't have air-conditioning, so we usually leave the doors and windows open to let cool air in. All of them have screens except for the front door because our dog wanders out when she needs to and we've got one of those pre-fab metal door with a pressboard facade thingy, so we can't install a doggie door besides the fact that it's a rental. However, our house is pretty old and the exterior is somewhat dilapidated, so I'm sure that insects could find their way in if they really wanted to. Anyways, I've tried lotions with DEET, but the stuff gives me a headache, and Skin-So-Soft didn't work. I don't mind the bites since there aren't many ticks around and, let's face it, no one's dying from West Nile in my area. I also know it's not fleas because my dog gets regular doses of Frontline. What I'm really looking for is something to help with the itching. I know if I took allergy pills, it might help control the swelling, but prescription costs too much at the moment and over-the-counter stuff makes me sleepy no matter how low the dosage. I have this stuff called "After-Bite" that's supposed to take away the sting, but it doesn't seem to work on me.Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I heard that catnip oil repels mosquitoes, and I don't really know about spiders, even though those guys really piss my off because we've got them everywhere. I think there are a lot of creams you can get to put on once you've been bitten, but I don't know about prevention, for spiders which are the worst problem for me a haldheld vacuum can work wonders, just getting rid of them seems to help. For mosquitoes there are also those salmonella candles but I don't know how well those work.

Ice the bites helps me when I get too many mosquito bites. Or an Ice cold shower, well, as cold as you can handle should alleviate most of the itching.Where I live, you would be a real target. It is presently Mosquito and Fly season and they are out in full force and effect.

Where I live, you would be a real target. It is presently Mosquito and Fly season and they are out in full force and effect.

Ahh, the price I pay for being so sweet... :PUnfortunately, water just tends to make me itch more. Whenever I wash my hands, shower, or swim, my bites start itching again. My husband's new job is going to start paying for health insurance in September, so I'll be able to get my allergy prescription.
The catnip oil sounds interesting, but I'm afraid of becoming the favorite playtoy of the neighborhood cats. :D

Citronella candles work fairly well for repelling mosquitoes. If you don't have reactions to the stuff, you can buy citronella armbands...or little squares that clip onto your shirt (ideally, people who are fishing, hunting, et cetera buy those, but still).Can you use Caladryl? I had a rash of flea bites a few weeks ago (eradicated the sorry little things, though - hah!). I used Caladryl Clear to stop the itching without leaving myself a blotchy, pinkish mess (like the 'regular' formula does). Anyway. The Caladryl Clear is good stuff because it's anti-itch, but also includes an analgesic to make life more tolerable. Highly recommended at just a few bucks per bottle.

Wow, you sound like me, and our front door, Remember the scene from Turner and Hooch when the dog when through the bathroom door? Well, I actually had that happen in real life, though it was our front screen door. (even the same kind of dog)I got bit just the other day from some sort of fly, a little triangle shaped thing, I didn't even feel it at the time, but I smashed it on my hand, it was one of the worst fly bites I'd ever had, it itched for 3 days and there wasnt' a stinking thing that would help. Made a huge knot on my hand. Lucky for me, since I live in the Ozarks, ticks don't like me. I rarely ever get a tick bite, and if they do bite me they die. :D There are some cortizone ointments that help somewhat. Also, if you have been scratching (yes, you know you have been) sometimes Destin diaper rash ointment relieves some skin irritations.

The catnip oil sounds interesting, but I'm afraid of becoming the favorite playtoy of the neighborhood cats. :D

Yeah, it would be great for going camping in the mountains except all the mountain lions come after you. :P

Ya know sorry if someone already said this but, you might be getting chiggers. Or red bugs, you get them when you walk through tall grass. The next morning you wake up and there can be many or few bites around soft areas or the socks you wore the day before. If you ware white socks it tends to be worse. To make the itching not so bad use vicks vapor rub.