xisto Community
Plenoptic

A World Without Math

Life could very nice without many things. No math, PC, bills, wars, wives and the list goes on.I’ve seen some uneducated farmers in my country doing some complex multiplication their own way without any math. They are simple and happy people who didn’t have to take math courses.

Maths exists regardless of whether the human mind perceives. The idea of there being a world without math sounds ludicrous, but I understand the thought. I don't think we would have made it this far if he had no understanding of math.

You can only have a world where the beings that reside in that world do not ever perceive/define math. My guess is that they don't progress much on an evolutionary scale. I think a lot of higher thinking animals inherently have an understanding of very basic math.

What about science? Compare the world to when humans had a limited/no understanding of science vs. now. And what about philosophy? What would a world be like if no one questioned anything and hence no one had the tendency to seek knowledge?

Science, and particularly mathematics, is a mean for describing the world around us.

This world does exist, even if we don't want to see it. A lack of mathematics will simple be a lack of understanding our environment :D

I am not sure of your teacher is historically accurate. However, the educational system these days is the equivalent of not being educated at all. They make up some of the most peculiar stories when faced with a lack of knowledge of this great and vast world around us. Nevertheless, I would image that a would without math would be dim and gloomy. Essentially, we would be living in the dark ages without knowing the difference between a gallon and a quart of milk. In our educational system today, children are taught a hate mathematics and if we continue on the trajectory that we are currently on, we may one day face a world where mathematics and science is not available -- a world where it has completely disappeared. That is why every time I walk the town, I stress the critical importance of education. I tell my friends and neighbors that we must be watchful and continue to keep tabs on what our elected officials on the school boards across the world are doings.

It is education, particularly math, that has brought light to a dark world, and fostered the spread of technology that was unimaginable to those crawling through the damp caves of Europe. It has brought forward the energy that heats our homes and help build the infrastructure that allowed us to fight disease by curing the sick, and it has fueled our twenty-first century global economies.
It contributes so much to the world that we inhabit, and it is hard to conceptualize a world without mathematics, but we know that without it we would be headed toward extinction just as the dinosaurs and so many of the other brainless animals that came before us.

On 7/11/2007 at 10:22 PM, Tetraca said:

Without math we'd be reduced to simple huns, if that. Without math, there is no architecture, no computers, no currency, and possibly even greater complications due to the lack of even simple arithmatic.

Without math, we wouldn't have Street Fighter '2' or even Terminator '2'. :)