xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tiger61

Prostate Enlargement

It's a "wee" bit of a problem common to us fellas who are aged 50+ and it is important you get it checked out. I'm referring to enlarged prostate. The prostate is a gland which is situated around the tube carrying urine from the bladder to the penis. As well as producing chemicals to help during copulation, it includes a muscle, which tightens around the tube referred to (the urethra), prior to orgasm, to prevent any urine entering the vagina (or wherever else you might choose to put it!). As men get over the age of about 50, the muscle tends to grow, thereby restricting normal urinary flow. So if you get up in the night more than a couple of times and have a slow start, poor flow rate and indecisive stop with a tendency to dribble, then you should get it checked out. The first test is known as a D.R.E (Digital Rectal Examination), in which your doctor puts a plastic glove on his hand and pokes his index finger up your (pre-lubricated with KY Jelly) bum. If he feels any lumps, then he'll probably send you to see a consultant urologist and will take 5 mL of blood for a PSA test. Results are likely to be back within a week and the lower the better. Ideally under 3. If you get into double figures or worse still, three figures, it doesn't look good and the next thing will be a check for cancer secondaries. Following an injection of Technetium-99 into a vein in the arm, you need a bone scan 3 hours later which shows any cancer sites up as glowing white sections. All quite painless so far. I've found medication to be effective and my PSA which was as high as 36, is now around 5. I am prescribed Tamsulosin to relax the muscle and I take a herbal capsule each day, called "Prostanol" which shrinks the prostate. It includes nettle juice, pumpkin oil, saw palmetto, etc. Whatever you do, don't ignore it

It's a "wee" bit of a problem common to us fellas who are aged 50+ and it is important you get it checked out. I'm referring to enlarged prostate. The prostate is a gland which is situated around the tube carrying urine from the bladder to the penis. As well as producing chemicals to help during copulation, it includes a muscle, which tightens around the tube referred to (the urethra), prior to orgasm, to prevent any urine entering the vagina (or wherever else you might choose to put it!). As men get over the age of about 50, the muscle tends to grow, thereby restricting normal urinary flow. So if you get up in the night more than a couple of times and have a slow start, poor flow rate and indecisive stop with a tendency to dribble, then you should get it checked out. The first test is known as a D.R.E (Digital Rectal Examination), in which your doctor puts a plastic glove on his hand and pokes his index finger up your (pre-lubricated with KY Jelly) bum. If he feels any lumps, then he'll probably send you to see a consultant urologist and will take 5 mL of blood for a PSA test. Results are likely to be back within a week and the lower the better. Ideally under 3. If you get into double figures or worse still, three figures, it doesn't look good and the next thing will be a check for cancer secondaries. Following an injection of Technetium-99 into a vein in the arm, you need a bone scan 3 hours later which shows any cancer sites up as glowing white sections. All quite painless so far. I've found medication to be effective and my PSA which was as high as 36, is now around 5. I am prescribed Tamsulosin to relax the muscle and I take a herbal capsule each day, called "Prostanol" which shrinks the prostate. It includes nettle juice, pumpkin oil, saw palmetto, etc. Whatever you do, don't ignore it

Wow very nice information. I really liked reading this. Well for sure someone shouldn't ignore Prostate Enlargement because it's one of the most serious and painful infections a man could have. And I just want to add something related to the function of the prostate. It serves greatly in the formation of the seminal fluid that carry the spermatozoa, so if you have problems with the prostate gland, it's most likely that you won't be able to have kids. Also, prostate enlargement is pretty much painful and annoying since you'll wake up many times during the night trying to urinate and but mostly you won't because your urethra will be blocked. So yeah, whenever you suspect prostate enlargement, rush to the doctor, cuz it's not one of those infections that you can ignore and live with...

Not being a guy, I cannot relate to this problem. However a close male friend was having trouble along these lines. He was sent for a biopsy which proved to be negative for cancer, but medication didn't seem to relieve the inflammation. He ended up having several biopsys over a period of time. What with the worry over the persistent inflammation and trips to the doctor, he was totally frustrated. Well, guys, hold on to your caps. It was finally determined that the inflammation that persisted after the initial biopsy was due to all the biopsys he was having. How's this for modern medicine?!

actually there are many very successful treatments for prostrate enlargement here in India.... many people have it and has become a common problem to many men. The best possible step for treatment to approach a good doctor who is very well experienced in treating such cases. Choosing a doctor is very import 'cos i know a incident where one of my friend went to get medicine for just ordinary fever and finally he was given a wrong injection and was seriously ill for many weeks. choose someone who others also recommend you. be wise!

My consultant check my prostate gland and foud it a bit large. hen carried out a rectal examination. The doctor also sent me for a PSA monitoring test and told to take ciprofloxacin for a month. HE ALSO TOOK AN UREIE SAMPLE. hE ASK ME TO COME BACK IN jANUARY.

Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), or benign prostatic hypertrophy is commonly known as Prostate Enlargement. It is a common part of aging. Generally this problem is occurred after 40 years of age. The symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia may vary; even many men with an enlarged prostate have no symptoms. But the common symptoms may include- A weak stream of urine when stopping and starting of the stream A hesitant, interrupted stream Difficulty starting urination Dribbling of urine, especially after urinating A sense of not emptying the bladder More frequent urination especially at night Strong and sudden desire to urinate Leaking of urine Blood in the urineDiagnosis of Benign prostatic hyperplasia usually done by Digital Rectal Examination (DRE) Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) Blood Test Rectal Ultrasound and Prostate Biopsy Urine Flow Study CystoscopyMainly 3 types of treatment are most commonly used for benign prostatic hyperplasia. They are- Drug Treatment, Minimally Invasive Therapy and, Surgical TreatmentTransurethral microwave procedures, Transurethral needle ablation, Water-induced thermotherapy and High-intensity focused ultrasound are commonly used in Minimally Invasive Therapy. Incase of surgical treatment, Transurethral surgery, Open surgery, Laser surgery, Photoselective vaporization of the prostate (PVP) and Interstitial laser coagulation are commonly used.

UrinozincProstate Enlargement

have had success with a vitamin called urinozinc

I get up much less often during the night.  I find it at Wal-Mart but think you can also buy direct from them (not sure).  hope this helps

-reply by Rick Williams