xisto Community
unys

Working With Autistic Children Developmentally Delayed Children

Working with Autistic Children

Working With Autistic Children

Replying to skye1989

Skye,

My suggestion is to answer a couple of questions for yourself:

- Do you want to work in a classroom atmosphere?

- Do you want to work in the child's home?

- Do you want to work in an institutional setting?

Once you answer the questions I would look into the following areas:

- Most School systems need educational aides in school which would give you a great environment to learn and work with these great kids.

- There are a few degree programs to research at college:

- Occupational Therapist

- Special Education Teacher

- Diagnostician/Child Psychology

- Speech Pathologist

All of these degrees can help you work with Autistic or Downs children. I am getting my Special Ed teaching degree while working as a special ed. Aide at a local elementary school and their summer school as well. My parents were both Special Ed. Teachers and I can't think of anything more rewarding for me.

If you want to volunteer or help the cause there are also several charities that focus on autism. My major suggestion is autismspeaks.Org

I hope this is helpful and I wish you the best in your search for the right position.

Steph

-reply by steph

so i am a swim instructor for little kids and i have a 4 and a half year old boy starting on friday, and he is autistic. i was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to make teaching him as easy as possible, i have worked once with an autistic child and she did not enjoy being in the water and promptly quit. i do not want that to happen this time. i would like to experience all types of children and i have no problem with being patient. so any comments would be greatly appriciated.

Replying to unysI have a question I have a 9 year old grandson who is artistic which is not the problem. I need information to guide me to asite that have all the laws that regulate parent and thier right when it come to artistic children and working parents. Light over view my grandson mother works at this company that telling her she cant use her cell phone at any time. If it an emergency the daycare would have to call her supervisor an she would tell his mother on her break to call back. This is new to use so we need any help and direction.-reply by yogiebear