xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
reconraiders

Making Custom Error Pages With Cpanel Not working properly

I set up the custom error pages using CPanel, but they aren't working properly. I get the standard error code.

The requested URL was not found on this server.Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Plust that little bit on the end. Am I doing something wrong or is it something that needs to be handled by an admin?

EDIT: i realise you use the cpanel tool to set this up, first off double check in cpanel that its all saved correctly, if it is then proceed to the steps below, it could be something that cpanel has done wrong or you might have clicked the wrong button or something. :)

If im right the second line of that error message means you have set up a custom error page but the server cant find it. Make sure its named correctly, usually i think its "4O4.html" and make sure its in the right directory, usually the public_html directory and make sure it has permissions of "read" at the very least.

heres a good link that should help: https://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/custom404.shtml just double check youve set it up correctly and if it still doesnt work post back with details like the code used in .HTACCESS and the file location/URL of the custom page. :)

Edited by shadowx (see edit history)

I never got used to the GUI of cpanel for making my own custom page. Perhaps it was too simple for me?? lol just kidding.

This is what I did. And you can name your custom error page whatever you like--I made mine with PHP extension and it's working beautifully.

1) make new file called .htaccess Note that there's DOT before the word htaccess. Any regular NotePad editor will do and you can always rename it if it's different via FTP client or cPanel.

2) enter the following lines:

You can save your custom error page with any file name. All you need to do is match the file being called by ErrorDocument command.

3) place .htaccess file under the correct folder. If you have add-on domain place .htaccess under that folder and double check that the URL listed in .htaccess is the correct one.

You should now be able to see your error page. Good luck.

For those who are wondering the reason for custom error page: it's a great way to prevent search engines from dropping your site/page due to "broken link" or "bad request" I set mine so that it shows the message "page you're requesting cannot be found" and included my sitemap page underneath. If you are critical about visitor's traffic this is one sure way for them to stick around.

cPanel is a very powerful tool for web host managing. However, if you're not familiar with easy-to-do interface it can work against you.Sometimes the old manual and simple ways are the best solution.