xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
GamerGlitch

20/20 Vison

I am now the only one with 20/20 vision in my whole family. My younger brother, 12 used to have perfect vision, until last year when he was given a school test and found to be in need of glasses. How uncommon is it to have perfect vision these days, it seems like most people have glasses.

Ive never been for an eye test, i probably should but i dont want any visual aids as overtime they actually make your vision worse as your eye muscles relax allowing the visual aid to do the work which means your eyes need more and more help, like a man on crutches for a year would end up with even weaker legs than before. I think nowadays computers and other screens have a lot to do with bad vision, like now im sitting just 2O inches from my screen and ill be looking at it for a very long time, several hours most likely which will most likely leave me with short sighted vision. I guess we all need to get out more and exercise our eyes!

When I was a young lad I stupidly sometimes stared at the sun until it burned a hole in the back of my eyes. I did that many times, but the holes continued to regenerate. I still see just fine in the middle of my eyes, but I'm more sensitive to light now. When I was in high school I had an eye exam and they determined my eye site to be 20/10 which is better then 20/20 by 100%. Now, though, they're not nearly as good. As I approach 40 years old my eyes are 20/20 in my left eye and 20/15 in my right eye. I actually have corrected sunglasses to bring the left eye to the same level as the right one! But I find the glasses do something to the eye muscles that makes your vision worse over time so I try not to wear them too often.

Vision correction is sometimes necessary, though, because without it some of us would not be able to do jack.I get major headaches if I force my eyeballs to focus on the computer screen, book, whatever, for too long. Hence my recent trip to the eye doctor (first in years).But I have a really great eye doctor. The prescription isn't too strong. My eye muscles still work to focus - if I relax them completely, I can't see any better than I can without the glasses. So I'm still working at seeing. I just don't get headaches anymore.As for the question of why vision correction seems to be getting so prevalent: I think that computer screens have a small part. I also think that each generation spends more time glued to the TV/DVD player/video game system...none of which are good in huge doses.

I recently got glasses because I didnt pass an eye check to get my drivers license. my vison is pretty bad on my right eye but my left eye is good enough. I'm not sure how that happen but I'm probably guessing it happen at a young age. If they had eye examinations in my younger school years I could of had or done something to try and fix it. Now I wear glasses for driving, reading and watching TV. I have it on most of the time when I dont wear them my eyes strain to adjust without them. I think more awareness should be made about the importance of retaining good eye sight.

I bet having perfect vision would be nice, but I would rather stay with my 18/20 vision. I still wear glasses, though, I would prefer not to, but I would not like to go through the Laser Eye Surgery at my point of time. Possibly when I am older I will, but I am too young to make a decision like that.