xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
GamerGlitch

Addiction To Games

Yes.It's been proven and seems pretty clear that addiction to video games is an escapist addiction and indicates that the person doesn't want to deal with issues that are going on in their life.I think the usual behavior changes apply, sleeping disorders, anger, short temper, depression, manic episodes, social withdraw. eating disorders and etc.Depends on who you define addiction. I think many of us can handle a few hours a day devoted to games, TV, sports, hobbies, or etc.

I think that addiction to video games is a reality and there are some cases of people that don't even go out just to stay the whole day playing. I have friends that live for consoles and there's nothing they like more that spent whole weekends playing videogames, which I think it's not very healthy. Of course it's not an addiction like cigarettes or drugs, because there isn't anything physical inside your organism telling you that you want more. It's a kind of more subtle suggestion like the one in television. There are also lots of people addicted to the tube, aren't they?Anyway I can't blame people for not wanting to deal with reality... this world sucks and probably we all need our own addiction, more or less "damaging". :P

I doubt anyone can be addicted to video game as it doesn't directly interact with any part of your brain. That means there is a fine difference from a drug addiction and game addiction. Game addiction is simply an extreme form of habit. Thats it. The media blows things out of proportion when they say games are addictive. They are in a sense "addictive" but not in a same level as drugs.The player of a game, unlike a drug addict has total control over his/her own body, and can think correctly without being intoxicated in anyway. So that means the player can, if they wish to, stop playing at anytime without being hindered by the media they are watching.

I have to add I was actually more addicted to Online MMOs but my parents pretty much put be on the right path by taking the computer plug and also revealing to me reality and how slowly I was deteriorating as my friends all slowly succeeded while I was failing. So yes everyone please limit your amount of time you play your games, you will know you are addicted when you start to neglect simple things like wanting to go to the bathroom or meeting a neighbor outside or friend/partner.

I am certain that video games are addictive. Sometimes when I really get into a game; I won't sleep, I blow everything else off, I explode if someone interrupts me while I am in the middle of an important part, and I even lose my appetite. I know that sounds really bad. I just want to be left alone until I beat the game.

I think that obligations are what keep us in balance when we get addicted to a videogame. I mean, when I was at school, and I got addicted, I just wished all day to arrive home and play play play. But I couldn't... it was physically impossible. I could stay late at night plying but the next day I had to go school again and I as too tired, so I learnt that I couldn't be like that forever. Now I don't play usually but I couldn't because work takes a lot of time. But it can be really dangerous if you're at school break or on holidays.

Addiction to the games exists :) I am addicted to mmorpg's and I am not ashame with. Internet it's own gets u addicted at a point. Ppl don't go to other relaxing stuff no more. It's about my neighbourhood. I don't see kids playing soccer or hide and seek here anymore. They just chat and navigate all day when they are free.

I am glad that I see such a topic in here as I have noticed that people have started to talk more about such thing like invariatz of addiction which came up with computer revolution and they were not noticed unitil very recently. Also there are many connections of the computer with violant behaviour which is quite interesting as I havent belived in such things that is that gaming is anyhow connected to the gaming that is that if you play violant games you eventually become vilant and I am considering myself as I play quite a lot of games but I have never manifested such a violant behavior like the german boy in the movie they showed on television but then again when I heared how long those people are playing and what is happening it might be porblem because they are spending most of their time playing games and such which is quite different then me. And then again with evolution and with new eare of the MMORPGS things become more and more and more troubling because young p[eople exchange their real lives with imaginative world and when they reach to the utter failure it becomes troublling.I don't kjnow if anyone of you remmebers bfore few months that is few months ago there was topic in the new about boy who killed hijmself he was leader of some sort of clan and when he lived trough some sort of failure he just snapped and killed himself this is troubling behaviour and it has to be hospitalized. Also the problem might lie in the preerents because they don't pay enouigh attention to tehir child.But to return to the boy he said that he had experienced failure in real life and he found himself in the unreal world of games and switched there when he utterly reached to the failuer in the unreal worl of MMORPGS(and this stand for massive multiplayer online role playing games) he jut snapped and couldn't take it anymore that is the reasons why he killed himself and he left letter. As far as I remmber he was somewhere from Netherland but I am not sure anymore and I am lazy to gfo and search fpr the topic.Also tyo conclude I would like to say that I've heard for many such facilities that are openening to hospitalize such representations of extreme gaming in Netherland Germany and Sweden. I am not sure about other European countries but I am certain that they have opened such facilirties in those countries.

I saw an article in the news paper a month or two ago and it was saying the same thing...Honestly I think the whole lot of it is a giant piece of fraudulent information being used as an attempt to get today’s parents to stop their children from playing video games so they can get outside and loose those rolls of fat. I’d go as far as to say that if video games are addicting that breathing is an addiction, intercourse is an addiction, sleeping is an addiction, and so many other things that make you feel good when you do them. Video Game “addiction” is just another bi-product of today’s society; our entire culture is completely bent out of shape in so many ways. Our basic morals are bent, our view of marriage, and our view of ourselves… we go and blame all our problems on others and we miss the heart of the matter. It isn’t the video game’s fault your child is a fat piece of crap it is your fault as the parent allowing it to happen.But then again believe whatever helps you sleep through the night.

Yeah, I know a lot of people who are addicted to video games but i guess it's better to be addicted to games instead of other things... other illegal things... :D :oi also agree with karrukarru, it's not the game's fault and don't blame other people, it's your own fault you choose not to do anything else with your life.

Edited by RyKrause (see edit history)

So in everyones opinion, what is the most addicting game? For xbox 360 I say it would have to be halo or gears of war. For the wii, wii sports and wii play are pretty addicting. For ps3 I would say cod4 or resistance

I'll tell you even I was once addicted, what you have to do is get your mind of it. Pick up a sports activity and see which one you like. I started playing basketball, it helped me quite video games.Mike

I'd like to argue on this. Online games should not be considered an addiction. An addiction is the need to do something that can be harmful. Talking to other people online while enjoying time with them reallt shouldn't constitute an addiction. If i were to go to the park everyday and play wiffleball with a group of 3billion people it is essentialy the same.