xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dagoth Nereviar

"Why Do We...?" topic Post your questions here

(Don't know if anyone asked this, but) Also, according to Stephen Fry, the reason why you "jerk" or "jump" when you have a dream where you're falling is because it's a reflex, from when we used to sleep in trees, to, again, test yourself incase you do actually fall...Sorta so your body is prepared to grab onto something.

If we slept in trees, wouldn't we dream about falling off a tree rather than the usual cliff scenario? Have we then been sleeping near cliffs? It's interesting to know, however, that many people experience "the fall" (what i will temporarily call it for now) in their temporal dreams (which them falling may be the only thing that happened before waking up). I've never bungee-jumped or gone rock climbing, though i've seen these things on T.V., and yet i have experienced "the fall." Makes you wonder if a person have never witnessed a cliff, from what would they fall off from in these temporal dreams? Buildings? Or will they not have dreams of "the fall"?

the dreams you see are the representations of your subconscious. it's not really something that could've happened before in your life.

...though it may include things of the past.

The "falling" dream is very common, but apparently, sleeping through the (dream) landing is nearly impossible. Any ideas why that is the case?

...though it may include things of the past.

:) yeah. i forgot to rephrase my statement. that was what i was trying to say.

The "falling" dream is very common, but apparently, sleeping through the (dream) landing is nearly impossible. Any ideas why that is the case?

well i don't know if i understood your question, but i think it's because we wake up not only because of the dream, but also because of the impact after falling. i remember a dream of being thrown off of a cliff, and while falling i woke up. after that i realized i was on the floor as well. i think that was the only time i fell.

Who knows. Probably 'cause your brain can't compute death, for it hasn't experienced it. Or probably due to some kind of natural fear. But there was a time where i almost didn't open my eyes upon landing, so i'm assuming that the dream ends there, and the darkness you see upon closing your eyes is what follows.

i have heard that the falling in your sleep thing is caused by something else. my grandpa reads all these books about the mind and spirit. he has explained to me what an out of body experience is. he said it happens to most people whilethey are sleeping. usaully it is just your spirit rising out of your body and then just coming back down. he says that he has learned to control it but doesn't like to do it because it scares him. anyway, he told me whenever people are experiencing this they are usually in such a relaxed state that the spirit comes out. then you get a sence of falling whenever you are coming back down. have you ever been woke up by an un explained bang. well you are suposed to hear a bang from your spirit slamming back into your body.so the falling feeling is acually your spirit falling into your body.now i don't believe in spirituality or that it is your spirit falling into your body, but this is suposed to be what is happening.

Have we had Smoke yet?Why do people smoke? I have never figured out why, I know its addictive but are people blind? What good does it do, its very slowly killing you and also killing other around you and to top it all off, costing you an ever increasing amount of money at the same time.

I had some more :P But I've forgot them now...

Oh yes! Why do we get "head rushes"? Like when you stand up and you go all dizzy and the colours go all weird...how come?

Also, when we press our hands against our eyes, how come it all goes funky colours? :D

Have we had Smoke yet?
Why do people smoke? I have never figured out why, I know its addictive but are people blind? What good does it do, its very slowly killing you and also killing other around you and to top it all off, costing you an ever increasing amount of money at the same time.

Some people do it because of peer pressure, some people do it to look cool. Alot of older people obviously didn't know the dangers, but are still addicted. Some people do it to relax themselves, like why some people drink.
Edited by Dagoth Nereviar (see edit history)

Why do people tear when they yawn? My friend thought I was crying for a minute lol, because i had tears right after I yawned.

Ok, some more questions :PHow come we sunburn, and when we sunburn, how come we get prickly heat? And what actually is that? Coz to me it felt like my nerve endings commiting suicide :PUhm...there were others too but I've forgot them...I'll edit if I remember then :P

Mm'kay, how about this: Why are we attracted to other objects(physically)? I know it's a force called gravity, I know the formulas and such for it, I just took 11th grade physics in 10th grade and I'm about to take 12th grade AP Physics in 11th grade so I know somewhat about the mechanics of gravity. I want to know why there is gravity.

I've always wondered why we do/why certain things happen...Of course when I finally decide to ask I go and forget them all :XD: :)
However, I do have one...Why do we sneeze? I can understand we get snot because of all the crap our noses collect, but why sneeze? =S

Also, if anyone else has any "Why do we..." or "Why does it..." or anything like that, then just ask here....beats making loads of topics :D

Have you tied to sneeze with your eyes open? I'ts fun to try, but I think it's imposible :D

Have you tied to sneeze with your eyes open? I'ts fun to try, but I think it's imposible :)

I think I tried once, and I might of done, but I think my eyes just closed at the last second...I always forget to try and do it whenever I need to sneeze, though :D

Mm'kay, how about this: Why are we attracted to other objects(physically)? I know it's a force called gravity, I know the formulas and such for it, I just took 11th grade physics in 10th grade and I'm about to take 12th grade AP Physics in 11th grade so I know somewhat about the mechanics of gravity. I want to know why there is gravity.

That's sorta like asking why's something a certain colour, why does light work like it does, etc...Well to me anyways :D But I'm a no nothing :XD:

Why do people tear when they yawn? My friend thought I was crying for a minute lol, because i had tears right after I yawned.

I'm not sure about that..And I always end up yawning then tearing...I also randomly tear :S It might be your eyes clearing the "sleep" (That yellow stuff) out to get you ready for sleeping? :D

And there's one. What is sleep? The yellow crusty stuff we get in our eyes...What is it and why do we get it?