xisto Community
MSTR

The Best Anti-virus What Do you think ?

i use norton its the best. why use some random small company's antivirus when you can use norton which is a big company. yes some of the other ones mentioned there are ok i think norton is the best. they've won awards and everything so you might as well use norton lol.

This is going to be a forever-ongoing discussion...

I took a gander at the reports on AV Comparatives and saw their test results for affecting performance as well as scanning efficiency and ability to detect threats. I also noticed that Norton is rather non-intrusive in affecting general performance, notably boot time, according to AVC's testing. What I'm not understanding is why when I load up Norton Antivirus 2007 onto my machine, it adds a solid minute to my boot time, keeping the Welcome screen on for a full minute before finally booting into Windows. I recently changed over to Avira to give it a good solid test run and my computer boots up MUCH quicker into Windows than it previously did. Also, just for kicks I did a manual scan with Avira on my external hard drive, which I know harbors a few threats that I know of thanks to Norton. Avira found the same threats, although it seemed slower in scanning during a manual scan compared to Norton.

I guess that in conclusion, if you used Norton and found the same problem with a long boot time as a result of installing NAV, I can recommend Avira. I'd recommend the Premium Suite though as far as a replacement goes, considering that it has similar components minus the firewall feature (which is included with the Security Suite).

Amongst the popular ones i think nod32 is very good. Norton will come a close second for me.Then come mcafee,avg and the others. Then there are also zonealarm, trend and quite frankly many more.:)The important thing is to stay from cracked softwares and especially cracked antivirus. The most stupid and dangerous thing one can do is to get a cracked antivirus.

I believe that Avast! Antivirus is EXTREMELY good but it doesnt find spyware, so if you download Avast for free and Spyware Doctor for free or buy it, then that would be an awesome combination to protect your PC!

I recently got hit by a virus,and AVG seems to be taking
care of it pretty good.
My experiences with Norton has not been very good.
My one time use of spydoctor was a nightmare.
It wouldn't install properly and it was extremely
difficult to un-install.

I find this thread on the devshed forum really helpfull.
A time consuming process but still worth it :

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I have to add my experiences with Norton's latest: Norton Internet Security 2009.It is feature rich. It sports a two-way firewall. It has protection against spyware, spam, phishing, and what-have-you. It has a low impact on resources. It has a clean and fast installation AND uninstallation. It has dummy-proof, automatic updates by the second (given that they push definitions that quickly). It looks good, has a plethora of options, preferences, and settings to tweak your protection how you want it. And it doesn't impact your boot time or real-time tasking as much as most anti-viruses do.I recommend it. CNet recommends it with an Excellent rating. It's one you pay for, but you do get what you pay for... maybe more. :P

I use Zonealarm personally, I like the firewall, don't really care for the virus scanner, etc. For virus programs I use Avast, which in my opinion is a good free scanner. I have also used Adaware, and Spybot S&D. Both decent free alternatives to ZA's features. I have never liked Norton and will avoid it at all costs. *nod*

I would prefer a paid anti-virus rather than a free one in terms of security from viruses. But because I am cheap, I use free ones rather than the paid ones just because they are free. I have used Trend Micro's and Sophos in the past but both of them are paid. (I used the license from my father's office) After awhile, my father told me to just use a free one since free anti-virus are popping up like mushrooms. From that point on, I used AVG and it is the best for me. (It has the interface that I was comfortable with) The best anti-virus would depend on the user. For me, AVG is the best free anti-virus.

Well I have tried several antiviruses and Avast! has always turn out to be the keeper, I got to agree with Variablez that it's horrible with spyware, but I found MalwareBytes anti-malware and it's awesome, fast scan and remove all the spyware. I also like counter spy, is really good but it's not free... So I'll continue with Avast! :P

In 2009 you have the winner as NOD32 because of its light engine and efficient system.NOD32 is a combination of all security system and yet light on system resource.You can have a foolproof system, however the updates and definition are not free you need to register and buy subscription. In my opinion it is the Best.

I have tried Several Antivirus Program. Norton, NOD32, Kaspersky, Macfee. All are fine but Kaspersky (Internet Security)is best one. All these Antivirus program costs high, so everyone are not able to use these program. So recomendations are AVG free edition, Avast home edition, Avira free edition.I use Avast home edition and Comodo firewall. With this two, I am now secure. If you want to be secure please use Avast home edition and Comodo firewall, it definitely protect your computer against Virus, Malwares and others.I have tried Several Antivirus Program. Norton, NOD32, Kaspersky, Macfee. All are fine but Kaspersky (Internet Security)is best one. All these Antivirus program costs high, so everyone are not able to use these program. So recomendations are AVG free edition, Avast home edition, Avira free edition.I use Avast home edition and Comodo firewall. With this two, I am now secure. If you want to be secure please use Avast home edition and Comodo firewall, it definitely protect your computer against Virus, Malwares and others.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Forget what I said earlier about a certain well known name brandanti-virus software. They aren't good for everything.It's email virus protection had been disabled , and not by me. Maybe the virus that I had,was allready on my computer when I installed thisanti virus software though, but the virus just wasn't removed. It really gets you wondering about anti-virus protection.I had to re-install my operating system yet again to get ridof this. I have new anti virus software now.I'm too paranoid to mention it.The way I see it.Don't put your faith completely inanti-virus software because you can still get viruses.Be extra carefull about what you download. Time wil tell how long my new software protects my computer.

Edited by networker (see edit history)