xisto Community
MSTR

The Best Anti-virus What Do you think ?

I think norton is up there, but i haven't tried all of them so who am i to know.But i have changed from free anti-viruses to paid ones and changed there too. I finally gave in and gave norton a try, downloaded a trial and loved it so decided to buy the thing. Internet Security is what I have. I know a lot of people say it is a system hog but i find it very quite and aside from my computer. It may depend on the pc though.

damn i didn't see this thread as a sticky so i posted in another thread. well my thoughts are:I think that norton is up there, but i haven't tried all of them so who am i to know.But i have changed from free anti-viruses to paid ones and changed there too. I finally gave in and gave norton a try, downloaded a trial and loved it so decided to buy the thing. Internet Security is what I have. I know a lot of people say it is a system hog but i find it very quite and aside from my computer. It may depend on the pc though.

I've tried alot of anti-virus software such as Zone Alarm, Bit Defender, and Mcafee. But right now I'm using Kaspersky anti-virus and it seems to be working the best for me. Detects alot more than the others did, scans faster, and it has very good active scanning. I really like how often it's updated and the easy interface it uses.

I found an interesting website while I was looking for a better anti-virus. It's called virus bulliten and it tests anti-virus software.
Virus Bulliten

If anyone is also interested theres a site that tests personal firewalls too.
Matousec

I use Nod32 and i like it...even if i know there are more secure antiviruses out there....I like it because its simple, easy to use and most importantly not as dominating as others...The other antivirus programs just take control of your PC and keep popping up alerts and disturbing you....what's more, they don't get uninstalled easily and make your PC slow...I have seen antivirus programs who don't let you install other antivirus programs......Nod32 is user friendly...and it gives us space for our normal work on PC...unlike others who keep showing up alerts as if The PC user has nothing to do except removing viruses and Trojans......I think antivirus should silently remove viruses..without bothering the user and without using much ram...

Edited by klusk (see edit history)

unlike others who keep showing up alerts as if The PC user has nothing to do except removing viruses and Trojans......I think antivirus should silently remove viruses..without bothering the user and without using much ram...

:lol: ...Funny description. Yes most antiviruses are annoying. They should use less RAM and silent. I agree with you. But a small problem is here. I too like them work silently. But what about the False Positives? By asking what to do, they are giving you the control of your computer. So you can choose which to delete and not. If they keep deleting everything they found, you may lose most of your important files, and system may be unstable(because, what if it deletes some important system files, without your knowledge). I am not disagreeing with you. I am just telling that it is for your safety only. But I agree with you 100% on RAM usage. Almost all antiviruses except a few are resource hogs. In my opinion AVIRA is the best and next one is AVG. (I don't know much about paid antiviruses)

I chose other since AVG is my favorite. It uses very few resources, and is FREE. Yay, Heck, spending $70 on antivirus each year wouldn't even be worth the value of my computers. They're really old. Now my school has a bunch of old Windows XP computers with 256MB RAM, and they use something called Sophos I belive. I guess that is another good one since those computers run very smoothly for how weak they are and don't seem to have security issues.

To be honest, I've had McAfee VirusScan before. I think it's not very good, for a slow PC like mine. When its being updated, it takes up alot of my memory usage and everything. Now, that I have switched to AVG AntiVirus, my PC has been running smoothly, and all the malware on my PC has been removed, it's like a dream! So, I would recommend AVG AntiVirus for all of you... it also has a free edition you can use, but it only has AVG AntiVirus, if you get AVG Pro, it will come with everything you need to stay protected, even online. The free edition has no trial, so you can use over and over again... however, AVG Pro requires a license, mine expires this December lol.

Norton does its job pretty well, but consumes a lot of resources in the process.With Panda I didn't have too many problems until I decided to uninstall it as it tried to hang on to my system like ticks to a dog.Bit Defender is good, but its updates don't come as soon as you need them so if your PC gets infected with a new virus it may take some time before we'll be able to get rid of it.I believe that Nod32 is still the best anti virus solution you can get; I've used it for about 2 years until I turned to the free Avira.I've never heard of MKS.PC-cillin and McAfee are your standard anti virus solutions in the sense that you get your money's worth.Maybe Kaspersky should have been up there as well; the only problem I had with it was that dreadful squealing noise it made when it found a threat.Avira and AVG are the best free products today.

The new Norton 2009 series is proving to be awesome! Has all the great features maybe minus and plus a few but is great!I don't have it but it is very good according to my brother. It's now lighter on the system which is the reason why people have been turned off it.

After fighting with NewFolder.exe virus I decided that most of the antivirus are crap.I had bought Kaspersky but that also doesn't work sometimes.I am hoping a New Company to give a better Antivirus solution. Or may be ppl at NOD would improve their crappy engine (their 2.5 version was too good, dont know why the product degraded)