xisto Community
MSTR

The Best Anti-virus What Do you think ?

Hey Guys,Have used all the AV programs listed to clean infected computers. Norton & McAfee both are system resources "hogs" (very big programs/Memory intensive etc.). AVG has a much smaller "footprint" on the HD than the others & seems to work just as well as the two above. Have seen ALL of them miss a virus that one or the other picked up easily. Have seen All of them unable to clean/disinfect/remove certain viruses. The one upside to Norton(Symantec) is that they do offer manual virus cleaning advice on their website & tools to do it with. You don't have to subscribe/buy their software to use/get most of the tools (ie.free).Best advice: Get more Than one; make "rescue"/recovery anti-vir disks with each program; update program regularly (at least 1X-week). Final advice: If you'r not using a firewall(s)- DON'T EVEN BOTHER with the above- just leave your computer off/ in the boxHope this helpsCheers!RGPHNXPS-HAVE OTHER POSTS RE: THIS SUBJECT -just use "Search" on the forumns.

I use Mcafee as well..except I got it included with AOL, so I don't pay for it. Or maybe I do and AOL is just scamming me. <.< Anyways, having Mcafee is the only reason why I'm a bit reluctant on cancelling my AoL service, since we all know aol sucks. And I have another internet connection anyways...my dad just..apparently likes paying extra for nothing. =(I like Mcafee cause it downloads updates automatically..and I don't have to worry about it. >_>I heard Norton was TOO good of a virus software. Like, my friend had it and she couldn't even go to google it was that protective. I was like O_O. But it's all good.

I guess my first post here is going to put me in the fire ;)All the 'firewalls' mentioned are sofware based (as far as I could see reading the posts) If you are serious about the firewall you use get a hardware firewall or at least a reputeable company combination firewall/router.I use Cisco PIX 515 (base) and PIX 501 with VPN capability (remote users)The firewall logs are monitored on my computer. Portscan and suspicious activity are logged and reported to Dshield.One inherent problem with software firewalls is you need them on all computers you network, unless you dedicate one computer as a firewall appliance. If you don't keep the firewall up to date then it's just as good as no firewall. M$ sp2 firewall... what a joke, it only protects you from the outside, not against something already running on your computer. And if it's on the net and it uses a M$ 'safe' marked script then it will bypass the fw and run.What good is a firewall that don't protect you from programs that try to connect to the internet from your computer. There are a few sites out there that you can use to test your fw and see if your ports are open / closed / or stealth. What is the difference, a closed port will reply closed and a stealth port is like a black hole... no reply. Why is that important? if a portscanner get a closed reply from one of your ports then it have a starting point (Your IP) from where a serious portscan can start.On top of the HW firewall I use ZA Pro to control what programs get internet access. It's nice to know when a new program installed tries to broadcast home to let them know that you installed it. Have you ever trapped a license broadcast? I have, that is how they see how many times the same key is used. And this is used by some major, reputable companies. Take your firewall to Steve Gibsons site GRC dot Com and see what data you are leaking to the internet. Do a portscan and see if you have any open ports. Download the little utility that is used to see if your firewall blocks unauthorized programs from accessing the internet.Nils

Milk,Tell your friend who has problems with Norton & Google that the problem probably is how Norton anti-vir program is configured. Nortons anti-vir has a lot of flexibility re: security levels (ie. filters) and allowed programs/websites etc.Check to see that Google is on the list of "approved" programs/websites OR at least not on the "blocked" list. Also if they have installed any of Googles toolbars on their webbrowser, then Norton anti-vir may be objecting to those program plugins when they try to get through the firewall. Try disabling/deleting the toolbar programs & then going to Google again. If it works then, well the toolbar plugin is/was the problem.Hope this helps!RGPHNXPS-Please post back to the forums & help others with what you learned with the problem. It's the only way we will improve the quality of the forumns.

i've used mcafee before, but now i'm using Norton Antivirus 2003 (legal version, got the licence) and it works fine, using the auto-update all the time and i think it's safe like this. i make backups of all important stuff located here all the time (burn on a CD) and i do a full scan every 2 weeks, for the rest i have sygate personal firewall running (free version i think) and i just hope it's enough :rolleyes:

im using norton 2005 to bad it hasn't elp me with my adware problem but web sweeper does good got rid of of crap that filtered through peace out

i use norton, and i have just ordered the 2005 version, but apart from that i use zonealarm, ad-aware and spybot and they all seem to do the job very well...i absolutely would recommend all of those programs :rolleyes:

I tried Zone Alarms PRO , which worked well (must say this was before I installed Winows XP Service pack 2) but seemed to slow my computer down. Been using Windows firewall lately and had no problems so far. Still using a dialup connection so for now its fine. When I get a permanent connection I think I will go for a hardware firewall. Do not know which one yet.