xisto Community
Zachy2411

Wasting Money On Electricity.

I dreamt up this crazy thing a day. How about everyone has little generators by in their drains, drainage pipes gutters and even incoming water sources? Since they are so small, and powered by running water that you are finished using, they will be quiet, plus you no longer have to pay for electricity bills! Also, chimneys can be placed over your stove. When a kettle is boiling, electricity is generated! Here's how it works:The generated electricity is sent to one place and stored in a capacitor.(At first I thought battery but most electronics need AC, right?)The current is sent to a fuse box and breaker like a normal setup!Erm, :) One problem though. Most appliances require 60 Hertz. Its hardly likely that they will generate at that frequency. Does anyone have suggestions?Lol.

Would not the friction due to so many generators require additional power to pump the water. Anyway great idea. Though not everyone , but at least those with tanks on the roof can keep them and use them. And if we find a way to reduce the friction, maybe everyone can.

Hey if you ever watch the discovery channel you might see these houses that all have their own eco-friendly power source. Some use solar power and hydro power (when applicable). I think a few used wind and they captured rain water for use around the house. It would be cool...

Smack I have sen that before. Oh and umm I think this is a good idea but if ever tried there would be alot of problems. Judt think of it everything made or almost everything made came back to bite us! I mean really each thing had its own set of problems!

Like idanzolantz, its a pretty good idea, i don't want to depend for the electricity company hahahahaha, and the self eco-friendly power source it's too expansive, so i'm f*cked hahahahaha...Cyah!

Erm, One problem though. Most appliances require 60 Hertz. Its hardly likely that they will generate at that frequency. Does anyone have suggestions?

@Zachy2411: I'm pretty sure there are plenty of ways to change the frequency of electricity. From what I can remember, RMS Electric offers something for it, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Your idea reminds me of the Great Leap Forward :) ~when Mao ordered everyone to make steel in their backyard. Lol, I guess we'll have to teach everyone how to use generators for that to happen.
@AlucarDez: So are the rest of us. :)

I think that people would need to be really heavy water users to generate a significant amount of electricity. Also, it would have to be designedso it would be completely unobtrusive to the user. That means that the generators would have to be completely out of site of the user.Suppose the generators were visible and a small child stuck his or her finger in the turbine?Hiding the generator restricts the places where it could go. Also, it would make repairs to the pipes more difficult as you would have to workaround or temporarily remove the small generators.Another thing, people that save water generate less electricity. That is a disadvantage to people that are really trying to do good for the environment.Some people even might be motivated to use water more to generate more electricity. This would have to be discouraged as conserving wateris important.If the generator has to be unobtrusive to avoid problems, how would it be repaired? Repairing other things would be difficult, but repairingthe generator itself would be harder.I think that such an idea would be applicable in a factory that needs a lot of water to build things. In a household, it just would be too difficult.

What I don't think that using so small amounts of water would generate any noticeable electrical current. Rivers do provide enough power, but not everyone has a river in his backyard. The solution would be wind power combined with other alternate power sources like wave power.It's pretty obvious to everyone that mankind cannot continue to burn fossil fuels for its electrical power. Still as I have mentioned in other posts I don't believe we can change that in due time. It would be more profitable for every one if mankind would be more efficient... Using less electrical power is much better than doing everything we can to abandon our old lifestyle.