xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
srujanlive

Google On An Acquisition Spree

Google is on an acquisition spree. Over the last few days, it has acquired Panoromio and feed burner. What does this mean? Well Panoromio mainly was used in Google Earth to show pics anywhere in the world at the location taken while feedburner is aRSS feeds utility. But did Google make the right choice. How long is it gonna continue making such aquisitions? It has gotten into a huge legal turmoil with youtube. And it paid Doubleclick a ridiculously huge amount. Is Google gonna benefit from these takeovers. Share your thoughts.

Last few days? More like that last few months that google has been on a purchasing spree; however, Microsoft and Yahoo are doing the same thing as well in which basically those three companies are trying to buy as many software/website companies as the possible can. In order to get an edge on the other two, but google has the bigger edge because now Microsoft and yahoo are basically copying them on all there idea's and what not and changing them just enough that google can't sue them.

Last few days? More like that last few months that google has been on a purchasing spree; however, Microsoft and Yahoo are doing the same thing as well in which basically those three companies are trying to buy as many software/website companies as the possible can. In order to get an edge on the other two, but google has the bigger edge because now Microsoft and yahoo are basically copying them on all there idea's and what not and changing them just enough that google can't sue them.

I disagree with you, Saint. Basically it's not just Microsoft and Yahoo! copying Google. All 3 companies are copying each other. Let me make this clear. First, Google was the first to roll out an AJAX-powered mail system - Gmail, with 2GB of storage. So in other words, Google pioneered AJAX mail and large storage. Not so long after that Microsoft and Yahoo! followed suit. Microsoft has its Live Mail and Yahoo has its Yahoo!Mail Beta and recently Yahoo made its email storage space unlimited. Besides having better aesthetics, I don't see Live Mail and Yahoo! Mail are in anyway better than Gmail.

On to mapping products. Microsoft was the first to roll out Virtual Earth and then streetview (which Google has only implemented recently) and 3D map view. To be frank, I think Microsoft has the most sophisticated map among them all. So, in other words, Google copied them :lol:

And oh yeah, Google also copied Yahoo's IE7 download page:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Some also pointed out that Google's new Experimental Search are basically Yahoo's idea.

This is madness, if they continue, there would be no sites left!

Google's acquisition spree might be harmful for them in the long run. The more companies they buy the more they lose their focus on whats actually helping their companny grow. Its not search, its advertising, and they have yet to monetize upon many of the sites that they have acquired, ie. Youtube and JotSpot. The Youtube video ad overlay is not that great, very annoying to see ads on what is already a tiny video. Microsoft have a technology in research phase but unfortunately the management at Microsoft is so horrible that it may not see the light of day.

i think google's acquisition is good. it means when i log on with my goole account i have access to a lot of the things i use regularly like blogger and youtube. i hate having like 100 accounts for everything i have on the internet. if its mainly owned by google then its way easier. and that ie7 download thing is really strange. i visited it now and the yahoo one is the same but google has changed theirs. i still can't see why they would be almost identical to each other. but google has changed theres now anyway. they probably realised just how weird it looked!