xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
matak

Limiting Max Number Of Credit Posts Suggestion?

At the early stage of a newly hosted member. His desires to post come solely from the reason that he wants his hosting to continue. His post may lack quality sometime but not all the time. As time pass by he will learn to appreciate the forum and will gladly share his knowledge and ideas and even help other members in the forum.If you limit the newly hosted members to gain credit only on its first 3 post then I'm pretty sure that he wont survive a month and will not be able to appreciate the site because you took away his desires at the early stage of his membership and by that he will lose the motivation to write even a two sentence or a 4 sentence quality post. Writing a tutorial is not an easy task and besides it sounds funny if we all write tutorials. After a week there is nothing to write to.Also each of us has different time schedule and availability. For example a member is only available at weekend because during weekdays he is busy at work. Now since only the first 3 post will have credits then during weekend you are forcing him to write a lengthy post which most likely annoy him because instead of relaxing he will have to deal with making a tutorial or perhaps a thesis paper hehehe... and the after effect of this is most likely a copy and paste of information without proper quoting. If this forum was launched a week ago then that idea might work because there are still plenty of ideas to talk about and tutorials to make. But this site is over a year old and its hard to make a lengthy post anymore because most likely the one you are talking about is already in the forum.To raise quality post you have to encourage them to post not to discourage.

At the early stage of a newly hosted member. His desires to post come solely from the reason that he wants his hosting to continue. His post may lack quality sometime but not all the time. As time pass by he will learn to appreciate the forum and will gladly share his knowledge and ideas and even help other members in the forum.

this one i totally agree with. i think it is a trend amongst the newbies (if not all) whose primary motivation in joining the forum is to get a free hosting. i, myself, am an example. i think i've argued with someone before here who accused me of posting because i wanted to earn credits. that's partially true. if you've been in trap for the longest time, your stay here is not merely limited to just posting for the sake of earning credits for your site. and your other reason would be is to know other members more.

I disagree all the way with this idea. If you're limiting only 3 posts per day to be given credits, no one will be motivated to post more than 3 posts per day. Writing tutorials would definitely help but all of us aren't capable of writing tutorials, it's not an easy job to write one for everyone to understand. And if we all just keep on writing tutorials, what would be left to write on? Many people don't even know beyond HTML and basic CSS, I am speaking of the newbies.

this one i totally agree with. i think it is a trend amongst the newbies (if not all) whose primary motivation in joining the forum is to get a free hosting. i, myself, am an example. i think i've argued with someone before here who accused me of posting because i wanted to earn credits. that's partially true. if you've been in trap for the longest time, your stay here is not merely limited to just posting for the sake of earning credits for your site. and your other reason would be is to know other members more.

When I was a newbie, all I wanted to is get credits and get a hosting package. I never knew anything more than HTML, and then after joining in here I learnt whatever I know now. The want to be able to write more posts, help more members and then become a respected member, I started taking interest in different things and then when I gained some knowledge, started sharing it.
And now Xisto is not just my hosting service, it's sort of an addiction, I learnt so many things from here, I'll get the chance to help more and more people and know of different problems people might experience.

None of this could've been possible if my "early ventures" into this community would've been blocked and I would be posting only 3 posts per day, after getting my hosting for the first time, I took off don't know why, lost my hosting and everything, then when I came back, I posted so much that I gained 36 credits in one single day and got my hosting back! That was 'cause now I knew more things, I could help more people and I could post that much and still reap the benefits out of them (hosting credits.)

It's rarely that first timer get's approved in one day. It takes couple of days, in which you can get credits in no time. I think that this way maybe trap could prune users that get here only for hosting and not contributing with quality but rather posting anything just in order to get enough credits to be hosted.

Well yeah it would take them mabey 2-4 days now, but with an idea of limiting it 3 per day, it would take them AT THE LEAST 10 days to get 30, and we all know that they aren't going to be here every day for 10 days posting exactly 3 credits worth of posts. I'm guessing it will raise the amount of posting time for newcomers from 2-4 to 15-25...

It sounded like it has a good intention behind it, but it just doesn't quite work for me :)

I wouldnt like the idea either, sometimes I cant log in for like a week, and if after that I can only get 3 credits a day it would continue loosing credits that way. Sometimes there isnt a good discussion thread in which you can create a long good quality post.